iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Should I watch this? thread (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Should I watch this? thread
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

What about this 1995 Mel brooks spoof - Dracula dead and loving it starring the late great leslie Nielsen is this good for a laugh?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like Project X as well...have seen it many times and keeping an eye out for the Blu-ray as well.

Always wondered about Buster...I've had a copy for a few years but never got around to watching it. Might be my next "watch something you've never seen" pick.

*Haven't seen the Dracula spoof Warrior...

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buster is worth a watch kevdug,I'm definitely going to get - project x at some point just waiting for the blu to drop a bit in price!

-

Anyone ever caught this 1988 Vietnam vet drama - distant thunder starring John lithgow and Ralph macchio,i've seen it going pretty cheap and i'm tempted to grab a copy.

Anyone know if it's worth checking out?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You asked earlier about Project X. It´s a good film, nice cast and the chimps are great.

Haven´t seen Dracula: Dead and Loving It or Distant Thunder.
However, i do own DT vhs tape and i think that i´m going to watch it tonight.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
That would be great atomik,I like both lithgow and macchio and the plot sounds quite promising,project x is getting the thumbs up from everyone on here so i'll definitely pick that one up at some point!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

I saw this when it first came out but I can hardly remember a single thing about it - the comedy drama - s.f.w from 1994 ,do you think it's worth tracking down for a repeat viewing to refresh my memory? I really like Stephen dorff as he's been in some really cool movies and i don't dislike Reese Witherspoon either - any good?

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, i like it.. but it's very 90s !
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extremely 90's.... to a fault. What I would call "90's wannabe cool". Can be fun if you're watching it with a certain ironic distance, but not to be taken seriously... even if the film does.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers guys! I'll pick up a cheap DVD of it instead of going the route of the much more expensive blu ray just incase,from what you've said I'd imagine i'd like it but you never know!
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By all means watch Dead and Loving It; it's not Mel's best, but it hits all the right notes. Peter MacNichol as Renfield is a particular scream (in some cases literally).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Chris I will try and pick up a copy very soon,the DVDs actually pretty cheap at the moment,I'll let you know what I think off it when I do finally get around to watching it but I'm sure I will like it!
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Big Chill

I don't think I've even heard of this movie but looks interesting.

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Never seen - the big chill Gordon but it's got a great cast and I believe it's quite highly regarded!

What about this comedy drama -

-

Little darlings from 1980,got a cool cast as on top off (not literally) Tatum O'Neal and Kristy mcNichol you've got Matt Dillon and Armand assante!

[ 03. March 2016, 10:17: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Big Chill
A bunch of 80's yuppies get together to mourn the death of another 80's yuppie and reminisce about how great the 60's was. It's worth watching but very very rooted in its time. Written / Directed by Lawrence 'Raiders / Empire' Kasdan.

quote:
Little darlings from 1980,got a cool cast as on top off (not literally) Tatum O'Neal and Kristy mcNichol you've got Matt Dillon and Armand assante!
A really good coming of age movie set at a summer camp that walks a fine line between being gritty and honest and being a fluffy fun movie. The soundtrack was great, and probably one of the reasons it's never had a legit DVD release in the US.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers Logan I like the sound of that,it sounds like one that's well worth hunting down!
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree on Little Darlings. Is it out on DVD? I have sold a couple of these on VHS for $30 each in the past. Still have one on the shelf. I think a die hard 80s movie fan would enjoy it even though it just squeeked into the decade. I think the song at the end is one of the best at the end of a movie and it includes one of my favorite endings which is a frozen shot with a great song. those are always very emotional to a terd like me. let us know what you think Warrior.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should I watch HAWKS with Anthony Edwards?
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Never seen Hawks terd but I've heard it's pretty decent!

Here's a couple that I would like to check out one day, are either of these any good?

-

First up is the 1984 comedy drama - Irreconcilable Differences starring Ryan O'Neal,Shelley Long and Drew Barrymore

And

-

1988's Michael J. Fox drama Bright lights big city which also stars Kiefer Sutherland and Phoebe Cates.

[ 11. March 2016, 13:13: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I agree on Little Darlings. Is it out on DVD?
Only a German one.

quote:
Should I watch HAWKS with Anthony Edwards?
Haven't seen that in years. I recall it was ok.

quote:
1988's Michael J. Fox drama Bright lights big city which also stars Kiefer Sutherland and Phoebe Cates.
I always liked this. It got slated but I enjoyed it.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can ignore the "coma baby" bat**** weird stuff, Bright Lights Big City is a pretty good little movie.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers logan, cheers Pittsburghgirl I'll look at giving Bright Lights Big City a go.

Any of you ever watched this 1985 horror drama -

-

The Doctor And The Devil's Starring Timothy Dalton,Jonathan Pryce,Julian Sands and Twiggy,it came out on blu ray not long back and I was wondering if it is worth checking out?

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So-so. It has a great cast and fantastic credits. (How many movies can boast Produced by Mel Brooks, Based on an Original Screenplay by Dylan Thomas? LOL) And director Freddie Francis is certainly in his ghoulish element. Mel Brooks was clearly shooting for a repeat of The Elephant Man with an elegant British period piece. It looks good, but it didn't catch fire for me. I don't know. It probably deserves another look.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers crash for your take on it, sounds like a definite case of style over content but I will check it out at some point just that I don't think I'll be going the way of a blind buy with it anymore I think It will be more of a case of a rental first!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Used to always see this one advertised a lot - Mother Lode from 1982 starring Charlton Heston, Nick Mancuso and Kim Basinger but never got around to watching it!

Is it any good?

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...still so many 80's movies I've never heard of. Kim Basinger in 1982....SOLD!!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home