iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Best 80's College Movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best 80's College Movie
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The high school 80's movies get a fair flogging on here, but I was wondering what everybody's favourite College movie is.

My personal favourite is Back To School (1986)

-

This is a truly fantastic movie and Dangerfield's best next to Caddyshack.

I wont give the story away in case you have not seen it but perhaps introduce / talk about the characters.

Thornton Melon (Rodney Dangerfield) - As always a rude and crude character with his typical derogatory one liners. Dangerfield's sense of humour is basic but effective and it embodies what most of us want to say but don't.

Jason Melon (Keith Gordon) - Most people will know him as the ridiculous nerd / possessed rebel tough guy in the 1983 thriller Christine. He is great in this movie as the wanna be diver towel boy.

Chas Osborne (William Zabka) - Chas is on the diving team (former national high school champion) and plays Jason's nemesis (Obviously). He doesn't fail to deliver and is the typical jerk as always.

Derek Lutz (Robert Downey Jr) - OK, this is getting ridiculous. Another 80's legend in the movie. Derek is Jason's best friend (only friend) and is a very likeable yet strange character who doesn't mind annoying the footbal team.

Lou (Burt Young) - Instead of playing Paulie and being in Rocky's corner he is in Thornton's corner as his limo driver / bodyguard / best friend. Lou is someone you don't wanna mess with but also has a soft side.

Alright the list of great characters for this movie is just too long, however look out for characters such as Dean Martin (Ned Beatty), Professor Turgeson (Sam Kinison) and M. Emmet Walsh as Coach Turnbull.

If you have not seen this it's a must see and if you have, watch it again!

[ 11. May 2011, 05:33: Message edited by: P a u l ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Night of the Creeps!

Here's a fun NotC thread from when a few of us got a bit excited about Blu-ray/DVD release:

- (rl - click to play)

And what a release it was indeed.. it set the standard of how to create a quintessential look back at an 80's hidden gem.

[ 11. May 2011, 07:14: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Real Genius. There are few seconds to it.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen Night of The Creeps but I can't get into zombie flicks at all. I know my self I would not like it, not to say that it's a bad movie though.

I knew Real Genius would get thrown in. I only saw this one in the last year or so. I thought it was pretty good overall. Val Kilmer is great in it. Being in Australia there are a few films that just don't seem to make it to our video stores. I think that's what it is anyway.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo.. "Real Genuis" is an awesome choice.

btw, I have this feeling that I'm I gonna be in trouble with Deborah Foreman over not mentioning it first. ha

Val Kilmer is brilliant and Michelle Meyrink is quirky cool in it

"This? This is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold. This? This is Kent. This is what happens to people when they get 'too sexually frustrated'!"

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revenge of the Nerds

but i really like all the others mentioned too.

sam kinnison was really funny in back to school

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
"How come? Say it! Say it!"

Nerds 2 was pretty good as well.

"Chip 'the meat' Hayes."

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what if d-o-g really spelled cat
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
"Wow, that's deep Ogre."
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job D. Real Genius is the stuff.

Nerrrrrds!! I love the tri-lambs...in a Muffy loves Booger kind of way ha.

Valley - great link..brought back memories..but I have one question...who the heck is Deb Foreman? ..

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ronnie.. ha.. you just gave me a VG flashback moment when Julie is discussing with her Dad whether she should pick Randy or Tommy. And her dad shows her those old pics..

btw.. according to the little thingy under your name.. it appears you picked Tommy. [Confused]

Totally agree on Real Genuis .. great soundtrack as well.

So how about a fav tune from it?

I'm Falling - C.S. Angels

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
Nerrrrrds!! I love the tri-lambs...in a Muffy loves Booger kind of way ha.

Ronnie LOVE IT!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
it's a Rolex
Rewind Curious
Member # 9685

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for it's a Rolex   Email it's a Rolex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
revenge of the nerds for sure "I thought I was looking at my mother's old douchebag, but that's in Ohio."

http://robustics.com/video/AQHtDyR5cjVb-17

Posts: 3 | From: London | Registered: May 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
valley - ha, it just dawned on me, both our sub titles refer to dating someone haha. but my prom date doesn't say alleged..more proof you are delusional on this whole Deb thing.. ha.

muffy - i was waiting for you to see that!!

i want the shirt that says High On Stress haha or Adadm's Atoms. [Big Grin]

[ 11. May 2011, 19:28: Message edited by: Ronnie ]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
donald gibb is the man, between the nerds movies and bloodsport i can not see why he did not get any more roles.

same goes for curtis armstrong, nerds, savage holland's films,

these all are good college movies before they got really cliche

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real Genius and Nerds came to mind immediately but just to mention something different I always like Soul Man w/C. Thomas Howell.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Ahh, glad this thread popped back up! It's time for another 'Making The Grade' viewing!

Ha, Valley got me to watch that movie and then was angry when I ripped Jonna Lee to shreds. [Wink]

-

[Smile]

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NERRRDDDDSSS!! Gonna have to be Revenge of the Nerds for me
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
Ahh, glad this thread popped back up! It's time for another 'Making The Grade' viewing!

Ha, Valley got me to watch that movie and then was angry when I ripped Jonna Lee to shreds. [Wink]

-

[Smile]

Damn, you beat me to it! Amen to this movie. not many people on the rewind have seen it and its a great film - must see for all 80s lovers.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

"Making The Grade" is hilarious!

Rewind - Making The Grade thread

-

I wish we could all watch the sequel though! How much fun would that be to suddenly find out that it was made by Dana Olsen, but never released! [Cool]

Dutch Gannon
Master Rewinder
Member # 10167

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dutch Gannon   Email Dutch Gannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Making the Grade for the first time the other night. Another good 80's comedy. Now I have another reason to like Dano Olsen other than just for the Burbs.

Hey speaking of college "Party Animal" a bit racy but kind of funny.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Nov 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
making the grade and the party animal(one of my all time faves),two 80s comedy classics,both hilarious and both featuring great soundtracks.

love living on the edge by shandi from making the grade - http://youtu.be/SR2lYbQyPOg .

the party animal - just a girl by the convertibles http://youtu.be/dSSxfht6IdI

i'd have to say my all time fave 80s college movie is the party animal,it's so ridicously silly and o.t.t that it brings a big smile to my face everytime i just think about it.

-

but they sure did make some classics-back to school,nerds,making the grade,loose screws,creeps etc.etc.

[ 07. April 2012, 16:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
Real Genius

Pacific Tech's smart people on ICE!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
This thread makes we want to watch several movies!

Totally need to watch "Real Genius" again soon!

Warrior.. that hilarious montage from "The Party Animal" to that cool tune by the Convertibles has me wanting to seek out the movie for another viewing. I've only seen it once as a rental and can't remember much about it.

-

"Spring Break" is a movie that I want to add to the list as well.

Wish they made "Tourista"! [Frown]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

yeh valley i reckon you should definitely revisit the party animal,not only is it hilarious it has an awesome soundtrack to boot.

come to think of it there were some really great tunes found in a lot of these 80s college movies,jude coles back to school, now that was a catchy track - http://youtu.be/q9_s0rweLVQ - back to school fan made vid

[ 07. April 2012, 17:08: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home