iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Night of the Creeps Blu-ray (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Night of the Creeps Blu-ray
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I didn't want to post this until I had a chance to give some insight, but I have the new "Night of the Creeps" Blu-ray in my possession!! I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone else, but I have to say a couple of things.

I'm actually waiting until Tuesday night to fully watch the movie with everyone else, but I pretty much stayed up most of last night digging into the incredible extras!!

The picture quality of the movie is definitely a step up from a standard DVD and my HDNET recording, but not quite as good as I expected. However, the sound appears to be remastered and is the best version I've ever heard for this flick. Overall, I'm stoked and can't wait to watch the Director's Cut Tuesday night.

But the real reason to purchase "Night of the Creeps" on Blu-ray or DVD (possibly, I don't know if the DVD is the same?) are the extras. I only listened briefly to the commentaries, but one of the tracks is Jason Lively, Jill Whitlow, Tom Atkins, and Steve Marshall. Some of the extras are nostalgic, but one of the tracks was filmed a few months ago...no trick, total treat!

One more time ...the extras rock and make this worth the purchase even if you already have "Night of the Creeps" on your HD-DVR.

Oh and if you are on the fence about "Night of the Creeps" ... I will say that nothing ever really lives up to the hype, but this is my all-time fav B-movie! Thrill Me and go get it!

[ 15. February 2010, 15:45: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay! i can't wait to see it, finally on dvd!

geez, i hate to be picky but the covers for both dvd and blu-ray totally blow. does anybody know the real reasons why they pick such awful covers for dvd releases? i will never understand this. the person(s) in charge of the art cover department seriously approve of this kind of covers? look at the originals!! how hard can it be to release a decent cover!??

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
valley here is what i read about the dvd extras..tell me of this is correct?

Sixty minutes of behind-the-scenes featurettes:
- Birth of the Creeps featurette featuring Dekker talking about the origins of the project
- Cast of the Creeps featurette featuring Jason Lively, Tom Atkins, Steve Marshall, and Jill Whitlow
- Creating the Creeps featurette featuring interviews with SFX creators David B. Miller and Robert Kurtzman
- A special Tom Atkins-centric piece called Tom Atkins: Man of Action
- Escape of the Creeps featurette providing a detailed look at the post-production
- Deleted scenes
- Trivia track
- Fred Dekker solo commentary
- Cast commentary featuring Atkins, Whitlow, Marshall, and Lively
- And footage from the aforementioned Cast and Crew reunion screening at the Alamo Drafthouse.
- BD-Live Enabled (Blu-ray only)

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie...everything you mentioned is on the Blu-ray. I haven't really listened to much of the Dekker commentary, but I think Michael Felsher of Red Shirt Pictures is on it with him.

There is an extra called "Thrill Me: Making Night of the Creeps that lasts like an hour! So awesome

I'm telling you right now..after watching these extras you will wish every 80's movie that is converted to Blu-ray could get this treatment.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, stop taunting us, I have the UPS tracking # for mine which won't be here til Tuesday!

I was just watching a bit of the HDNet airing, which looks pretty decent. Considering Sony put this release out, this is likely the best the movie will ever look, barring a massive restoration... Guess I will have to compare as well come Tuesday [Smile]

I've been looking forward to seeing the Alamo Drafthouse extra as well as everything else included. I'm so happy Sony released this and not Warner (who's Blu-Rays leave a LOT to be desired both quality wise and extra wise).

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Sorry WolfmansGotNards I understand....in 2 days you will be having a blast too! I so wanted to wait until Halloween night to watch it, but there was no way once the Blu-ray actually got in my hands.
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for WolfmansGotNards   Email WolfmansGotNards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just kidding [Big Grin] For the most part [Wink]

Pretty cool that you got it a few days early!

Posts: 400 | From: The 80's! Where else?! | Registered: Jul 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Go Monster Squad! in "Night of the Creeps" is the kind of stuff I love noticing or finding out about in movies.
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I just took an unscientific poll in my office to see how many people were purchasing or watching "Night of the Creeps" tonight. I am currently on my own... 0-32 ...so sad! Not really that surprised, but it has been hilarious hearing some of the responses.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just received this in the post today.

-

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

got my copy! [Big Grin]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Now that everyone has had a chance to go get this flick:

Wait until you see the cast today...what a freakin' mindtrip to see them after 20 years. No way I would have recognized J.C. - awesome stuff!

"What is this a homicide or a bad B-movie?"

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Starting the movie now ... the DTS-HD 5.1 is awesome! Picture quality is better than I originally thought watching just the extras. Any fan of "Night of the Creeps" is loving tonight!!

WolfmansGotNards - when you dig yourself out of all the extras...give us your thoughts!

Ronnie - tell me if it lives up to your years of expectations? I might still be up because I think I'm going to watch some of the extras again after watching the movie.

Cindy - tell me you found a copy today!

J2ME - did you watch it?

80'sRocked - Anything???

And anyone else that might be watching .. Thrill Me!!!

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm about to sit down and watch it now.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
80'sRocked - Anything???

Sorry Valley, but I don't own a blu-ray player yet. [Eek!]

I do have this on dvd-r though, so I can at least watch the main feature often! The extras do sound awesome.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

did you guys watch?

valley, i thought making of night of the creeps was so cool. that is the only special feature i've seen.
what i thought was so cool, is that after all this time, the cast was so sweet, funny and happy to have been a part of this movie.
they all were laughing, having fun and had such great things to say about one another and the experience of it all. and that's what i want to see when i watch these special features on dvds.

if i had seen jill on tv and night of the creeps wasn't mentioned, i would not have known it was her. she totally looked different to me.
but she still had that cute voice and was very enthusiastic about being interviewed for the dvd release. it was sweet.

as for steve (JC) i thought he looked so different!!! and i agree with jill, i thought he was the cutie in the movie haha. in a nerdy way [Wink] .

but jason lively still looks the same. he obviously just looks a little older and he was so cool.
i swear the cast was almost unreal. they really enjoyed making this movie.
even tom atkins loved doing the movie and said it's favorite movie he ever made! he was definitely the sweetest guy. and i didn't expect that all.
i makes me happy to see that they all were excited to be a part of it.

it was nice finding out how the movie was thought up and came to be thanks to the director fred dekker. his interview in monster squad was good too.

i cannot wait to see the rest of the features. they did a good job with this dvd.

imagine if they took this much time and put as much effort into a modern girls dvd. one can hope.

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

btw valley are you going to get MONSTER SQUAD on blu-ray?
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Absolutely..I actually pre-ordered it after watching "Night of the Creeps" through Nick's site link..only $12.49 for the Blu-ray. Comes out 11/24 if I remember correctly?

Ronnie...are you getting any closer to being able to switch to Blu-ray? At first, I really didn't think it would make that much of a difference on old 80's flicks, but movies like "Dirty Dancing" and "NOTC" are proof enough for me.

Btw, "Modern Girls" with the NOTC treatment would be awesome...and "Valley Girl" would be the ultimate for me!

Proof read and make sure I didn't say "Comet" anywhere...ha

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie, what do you mean by Jill Whitlow totally looking different to you?

I have seen some recent photographs of her, such as this one, and she still virtually appears the same to me.

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/jill4.jpg/

Furthermore, did any of you know that there is an unofficial Jill Whitlow fan site? If you should like to see it, then all you need to do is search for it on Google.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfmansGotNards
Ace Rewinder
Member # 5910

Member Rated:
OK, so I finally had a chance to check out the Blu-Ray [Smile]

In a word: Wow!

The HDNet tv recording looked good to me and was around 12GB in size, the Blu-Ray uses about 24GB for the feature film and uses the more advanced AVC codec vs MPEG2 on the broadcast version. Black levels and colors looked awesome, the best I've seen the movie look. Film grain was fully intact (not DNR'd away) which doesn't surprise me since Sony usually does a great job with HD transfers, and this is no exception. The video quality was definitely improved over the HD tv airing. The audio sounded excellent as well. Considering the age of the film and the fact that it wasn't a particularly big hit at the time, nor a big budget production, I am impressed it looks as good as it does. I read someone's comment on another forum that the Blu-Ray disappointed them and they thought it looked no better than a DVD - not sure what they were smoking as I totally disagree [Razz]

I haven't had a chance to dig through all the extra features yet (and man are there a lot of them). I enjoyed seeing the present day cast fondly reminisce about the movie. The thing that really cracked me up was the guy at the recent Alamo Drafthouse screening holding up his Laserdisc copy of the movie bemoaning that it was worthless now. I'm also glad the trailer was included in HD as well - quite a few home video releases don't include the trailer for the feature, which baffles me.

All in all, this is a pretty fantastic package. The fact that we didn't get a bare bones release is pretty amazing. I'm glad NOTC (Creeps, not Comet [Wink] although Night Of The Comet looks great in HD as well) didn't get released a few years ago since we likely wouldn't be getting the Blu-Ray now.

This is truly what Blu-Ray is about: Great audio and video, a loaded package of extras, all preserving a classic film.

I'm sure the DVD version isn't half bad either [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Wolfie,

Totally agree mate.

Let's hope it sells well and others follow suit.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great analysis WolfmansGotNards...
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Did anyone else decide to purchase this movie? I really hope this release was a success because the Blu-ray was an example of what I want for all 80's flick re-releases in the future. Pristine picture and sound with so many extras they almost make you just as excited to watch them as the movie.

Btw, I know Ronnie was stoked for this release...it is starting to appear so much that she forgot to come back!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
This is a reminder for anyone that has not picked up "Night of the Creeps" on Blu-ray or DVD ... go get it!!

I'm planning on watching it this weekend hopefully!

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I would like to get it as soon as possible, it's one of the great movies that I never got on DVD. Slither is the not as good remake of this, even though to be honest, I kind of like Slither.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home