iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » So I Bought A Slinky.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So I Bought A Slinky....
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Slinkys at the dollar store today and I had the urge to buy one.

I got one and I kept randomly singing the little song all day. And I found out that this is one of those overlooked toys that will never cease to entertain.

My neice, whos 2, has never seen one before and every tyme I sent it down the stairs she would freak out and laugh with pure delight.

It made me smile. Simple things like Slinkys, Kudos To You!

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool....I remember when I got my first Slinky, and how we had to build the right thing to get it to go down the steps right....we used books and magazines....otherwise it got stuck or didn't go anywhere.

I remember being easily entertained by slinkies, etch a sketches, and silly putty. I remember how much time could be spent playing jacks, or hopscotch or jumping rope. Those were all fun and cheap ways to entertain yourself as a kid.

Then when you got things like Shrinky Dinks, and a Light Brite...you really had some awesome entertainment. And Colorforms...I could kill the morning playing with those.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love slinkies, but not those rubbish plastic ones.

YourEyes, I didn't know there was a slinky song!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch Groover:
I didn't know there was a slinky song!

Enjoy Stitch:

http://www.4physics.com/phy_demo/slinky/song.htm

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
major
Rewinder
Member # 7478

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for major   Author's Homepage   Email major   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this one ... slinky song
Posts: 36 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i keep all of my toys in my kids room, including my slinky and other assorted 80's toys.

i still have those games like rubiks cube, this rubiks type puzzle that looks like a pyramid, another one that looks like a column and has different colored chain links, and i still have this one that i don't know what its called, but its long and straight and two different shades of green and you can make orbs or snake heads and other dumb stuff with it. i also have my mattel2 football game and am currently looking for the old head to head football game.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the pyramid puzzle. I also had the Missing Link puzzle and snake puzzle thing. They were very cool.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slinky's rule! Along with glow balls, lite bright, spyrograph, etch a sketch, all that good stuff.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a missing link puzzle.

I like in the movie Tango and Cash, when Sylvester Stallone wraps his cellmate in a slinky.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Author's Homepage   Email YourEyesCanBeSoCruel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I forgot the trouble that my brother, my sister, and I would have getting the slinky to go more than just a few steps. We would always have it somehow just falling to the side and rolling down the steps...sad.

I had an Etch a Sketch but I think I was showing my sister a thing I drew on it and it fell into the sink when she was doing dishes. After the gray stuff is gone, those things look complex!

I played with Play-Doh more than the Silly Putty. I got some from my friend got me some for my 19th birthday last month actually!
(And if you try, you CAN tell the different colours of Play-Doh by their smell. I've seen it done)

Posts: 133 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we always had slinky's when we were little loved them along with silly putty and jacks and jump ropes the original slinky is still the best though the plastic ones they have out now are terrible lol dee [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
major
Rewinder
Member # 7478

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for major   Author's Homepage   Email major   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorites were 'kerbangers' and 'stompers', though, I always ended up with bruises all over my arms from those damn 'kerbangers'.
Posts: 36 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I thought Kerbangers were cool.

What is a stomper?

Are those the cup things that you stood on top of and tried to walk in?

I bought a pair of Moon shoes for my son, off Ebay...about 5 years ago....he about broke his leg trying to do them. Do you guys remember them? You strapped them on your feet, then you could jump really high.

For the past few years when my son would tell us what he wanted for Christmas...I'd think...whatever happened to toys?

When I went to find a toy for my 3 year old niece for her birthday this year....I had no idea what to get her.

Today's toys stink. I hate Bratz dolls...they should be band.

I was always happy playing the Jaws game, or with trading cards...or I had a pot holder maker, and a rock tumbler, and I had my Creepy Crawler machine.

We use to make snow cones. I had a Pet Rock. There were so many cool novelty things.

I loved the year I got a hand held Pac-Man game.

My brother use to play with Legos and Matchbox cars...and Tonka Trucks. He had a little bulldozer and would go out and clean the streets with it.

I loved playing Perfection and Connect Four.

Me and my mom still play Scrabble and Boggle during the winter. I use to do puzzles all the time too. I have some now that I have been wanting to do for years, and just haven't got around to it.

I swear part of the words problems are because nobody plays any more.

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a year or two ago I was going to buy those Moon Shoes for my nephews and ISIS told me they sucked so I didn't. Hahaha! How time flies!

Those colorful plastic slinkys were pretty - but they never worked as well as the metal ones , so they sorta sucked!

The metal ones were great til they got a "kink" in 'em and then - GAME OVER! This is defiantely a toy for grown-ups. The second you let your kid play with slinky slinky gets kink and it's all over but the crying!

We just paved in our whole yard and now I'm looking for fun stuff for the kids to do out there. Has anyone heard of BLONGO BALL aka LADDER GOLF? It's sort of like horseshoes. Well, the kid across the street had it and we instantly fell in love with it and bought a set. NO ONE can walk past this thing - kids, adults, - without playing it! If my husband goes out back to throw out the garbage he starts playing it!

There is a NERF football now that comes with colored bands and you play "Keep Away" with it. All the kids have different colored bands on and the ball "tells" you "Keep Away From Green" and you all have to try to keep the green kid from the ball, etc. I think I'm gonna order that for Christmas.

The other day I dropped off one of my daughters friends and the girl showed me her skateboard and her pogo stick. Now THATS what I like to see! Good old fashioned toys like we used to play with!

Have you guys seen RIP-STICKS? Its this skateboard thing all the kids in my neihborhood have. Only problem is it goes for about $80. No thanks! I want it, but not THAT bad!

My daughter just got invited to a birthday party at a roller rink (we dont have roller rinks near me anymore - this ones in Long Island) and she's like "I dont know how to skate!" OhmyGd, at her age I was like Tootie from FACTS OF LIFE- my skates never came off! I have bought her skates and heelies and its not MY fault she refuses to learn how! I havent skated in about 7 years ...but I'm thinkin of buying myself skates again (Old School - not Rollerblades)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I had some people stay here over the summer that were playing Ladder Ball-I had never heard of it before...but it sounds like fun.

I never played Bocce until this summer...it was alot of fun too.

I had a pogo stick, stilts, we played with our hula hoop....

I just got a weighted hula hoop this past year...if you do it regularly it pounds your stomach down flat.

It is sad to hear kids can't roller skate...we tried to take my son, because I love it so much...the first time he fell, he fell hard and cracked his tail bone...and that was that.

I fell off my bike and fell out of trees, and fell off my skate board...you just get a band-aid and go back out there.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
I loved Kerbangers. I think they banned making them now, for obvious reasons. I got knocked in the head with them numerous times as a kid.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to the slinky song, and while I haven't haven't heard it before, I thought the song sounded familiar - it was the same tune as "International Log" from Ren and Stimpy!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
So for one I never would have connected Slinkys to Ren and Stimpy...man that's been forever!

ISIS, you mentioned Perfection. My dad bought that game for my brother, my sister, and I after we begged and begged and begged him into buying it out of pure annoyance. We never played it right though. We would set the tymer and run and pretend it was a bomb [Smile] But sometymes the 'bomb' would be put next to me and my siblings would run away so I would get blown up. [Frown]

Another really sad thing with the Rollerskates is that my 21 year old boyfriend can only RollerBLADE he can't do the skates. I rock at them and was actually thinking of joining a Roller Derby team but you have to be 21 to join the Grand Rapids Roller Girls...sadness.

Oh! And I have one of those old school Pogo Sticks that has the tassles on the handles and says Hoppity Stick on the sticker. I love it!

I still remember the Giga Pets tidal wave that happened. I accidentally killed my Koala, left it outside and it rained. Oops.

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the year RAZOR scooters became popular wa sthe year I bought my house - about 9 years ago. I had never seen them before and I lived in an apartment in a very busy neighborhood (that is now referred to as "little Manhatten"...so that oughta tell you how busy it is!) and when i went to look at the house I live in now there were kids riding "scooters" up and down the block. It just seemed so wholesome, like beckoning back to LEAVE IT TO BEAVER days. I swear a big part of the reaosn I bought the house I did was that the kids out f4ront had scooters and skates and a hula hoop. It was like :LOOK - NORMAN ROCKWELL HOME!!!!!

So theres some advice for you people trying to sell your house- pay the kids on your block to run past there with skates and hula hoops and kites and stuff!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we play ladder ball here too that is a fun game and very addicting i remember i use to have the purple kerbonkers and i use to kill myself with them too bruises all over the place they finally took them off the market too many injury's lol dee [Cool]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
YECBSC-I am so glad that you can remember alot of this stuff....when I saw your myspace page...I was shocked to see your age...your so young...you must have been born around 1989 or 1990...that's the same year I met my husband...your old enough to be my kid. Actually my kid is only 3 years younger than you.
But...I tried to get my son to like alot of stuff that I did from the 80s.

I collect 80's memorbilia...so I have things like The Mad magazine Card Game, a Coleco Donkey Kong mini arcade game, I have tons of board games from when I was a kid. I remember when my son was little...we bought him "Operation", and when the tweezers would touch the metal and you'd get zapped...he would completely spaz out...he hated that game.

There just was so much stuff back in the 80s. I always think of Christmas time. My brother loved Animal from the Muppets, and he got the Muppet drum set one year for Christmas. He used to have lots of toys...he had GI Joe stuff, and
I remember getting a spirograph and the HoneyHill Bunch, and I remember my friends getting Cabbage Patch Kids and Holly Hobbie stuff-has anyone seen the new Holly Hobbie...she looks like a hippie not like from Little House on the Prairie.

Do you guys remember those tunnels that you could crawl through? They flattened down to be put away...we played with those constantly.

There were so many toys in the 80s, for every season. In the summer we played with the sprinkler...with the slip and slide...we had those ball things that you sat on and they had a handle, and we'd race each other on them...bouncing down the street.

In the winter time...we always went snow tubing and sled riding, and ice skating and snowmobile riding and we built snow forts. I remember getting this brick maker thing to make igloo bricks, we would stay outside all day long. We went inside to eat some Campbell's soup and a toasted cheese sandwich and then back out we went.

I was never bored in the 80s. I don't know how I ever had time to watch TV. But we did. It just seemed like everything was so carefree and layed back, and you didn't have to plan everything, you just lived your life and had fun.

I remember in school, we use to have Christmas parties at our lunch table, and my friends and I would exchange names...you could buy each other cool stuff for under $5.00. I remember those cool purses with the wooden handles were what everyone had when I was in the 7th grade. We use to buy each other stuff like...different pop flavored lip gloss-like Dr. Pepper, those barrettes with the feathers and the beads on the sides, we got each other 45 records, rubik's cube keychains, Garfield figurines, Smurf Figurines, E.T. stuff, scratch n sniff stickers, garbage pail kid trading cards, slime, bangle bracelets, or sets of earrings.

Did you guys ever make friendship pins? I remember doing that.

I swear there was a ton of symbolisim in the 80s.

I miss ALL of it now.

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Slinky song; the only memorable gag from Ace Ventura 2.

Slinkys are the Quentin McCould of the toy world: they shall live forever...

Another great table top game was 'Kong', don't know if you guys remember: it was a big yellow mountain, with a magnetic ball you had to guide to the top where this giant robot gorilla used to spin around. Hours of fun...until it broke.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by YourEyesCanBeSoCruel:
I rock at them and was actually thinking of joining a Roller Derby team but you have to be 21 to join the Grand Rapids Roller Girls...sadness.

If you join the team in 2 years, I'll fly out there to watch that. Women's Roller Derby is awesome.
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaaah, Slinky's and a good yoyo... Life didn't get any better than that...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YourEyesCanBeSoCruel
Master Rewinder
Member # 7480

Member Rated:
ISIS-Yeah one of my teachers had the idea that I have an "old soul" as she put it. And Yes, I was borne in 1989. But I LOVE things from the 80's, 70's 60's and 20's actually.

The Donkey Kong thing you mentioned makes me think of my Nintendo. I have the regular Nintendo, Super Nes, Sega Genisis, and an original Playstation.

I was actually shocked when I was talking to a kid my age when I was working and I mentioned my Nintendo and he just said "WOW! I've always wanted to play one of those!"
It kind of made me sad that he never had because I've grown up with it.

I have MAD skills with Dr. Mario and Duck Hunt. We even have one of those original dance step pads for the Nintendo. I don't even know if we have a game that's compatable with it, I just know that we have it.

Does anyone know the Nintendo game Kid Icarus? No one I know has ever even heard of it. And it used to be that way with Bubble Bobble but with systems like the Wii letting you download them offline more people are getting back to the old school games.

80'sRocked-I'm actually going to look into any Roller Derby groups in Illinois because I'm moving there after I finish with my massage training school. But I'll keep you updated!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home