iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » New hobby (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New hobby
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently discovered the benefits of drawing on the computer (no more tossing away paper, huge expences on paint, canvas and so on) and wanted to share it with the only guys I know who appreciate the 80's.
Basically the whole idea is to trace the original picture and then simplify it. Though it has to stay recognizable of course.
Why simplify it? Well, mainly because I'm just not as talented as some of the speedpainters like you can find on YouTube.

As I'm still in the learning process, I realise there's plenty of room for improvement. But feel free to let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Don Johnson
 -

Michael jackson (unfinished)
 -

[ 10. May 2010, 02:28: Message edited by: TKO ]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty fine work TKO!
With that beard Don looks a lot like Chuck Norris though [Cool]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work TKO...I really like the Michael Jackson one....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are cool [Big Grin]
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ Loves Takashi
Master Rewinder
Member # 7767

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EJ Loves Takashi   Email EJ Loves Takashi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO, love them!! What program do you use? I love to do this kind of stuff too. Just never anytime. I love looking at other peoples work!!
Posts: 155 | From: Today Indiana....probably tomorrow too actually! | Registered: Feb 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO these are awesome!! keep it up and show us.......they are identical to your hand drawings!!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback everyone. [Smile]

Atomik, you're absolutely right - the beard on Don is a bit too much.

Kevdug, thanks... though for some reason I can't find the spirit to finish it.

EJ, I use Inkscape. It's an open source program similar to illustrator. You can download it here.
If you can find the time (I know exactly what you mean) it's definitely worth checking out. It also provides lots of tutorials.

Sure will do Muffy. [Smile] I was thinking of maybe trying to do one in honor of Corey Haim. We'll see...
The hand drawings were slightly different, but the goal is the same: creating a collage with as many 80's icons I can come up with.
 -

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh Alf  -
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by There'll be no morning for us:
Ooh Alf  -

I wanna know where you get your smileys!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW KEWL MAN!!!!

And i thought my collection of Horror Movie Villains, Marvel & DC Action Figures was cool? It kinda reminds me of the Duran Duran RIO album cover artwork [Big Grin]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
duran duran - haha my uncle who owned a shop in kidderminster in the midlands in England had them come into the shop and my uncle told simon off for trying to leave without paying for a can of coke coz he said his friend was going to pay for it.
'err excuse me, do you mind staying in here until your friend has paid then' LOL

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Last one I promise..

-

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO, your computer drawings are something special.

The Wild Style picture in particular is very well done.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, i love that Phoebe pic!
Keep ´em coming!

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
omg i want a canvas of that phoebe please
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by oneyedwilly:
omg i want a canvas of that phoebe please

oneyedwilly, here's especially for you... framed and everything.

-

Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ TKO...Dude please u have to make a Valley Girl drawing..if u can?
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:

I would give it a try, but I need a decent picture to work with.
So far, I haven't found any good ones.

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO.. you are beyond talented! I've seen some of your work from Rewind past and it was brilliant. Keep the flames lit with regard to your artist passion..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
TKO.. you are beyond talented! I've seen some of your work from Rewind past and it was brilliant. Keep the flames lit with regard to your artist passion..

But not near the pictures!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
lol @ Logan

Thank you Valley, those words mean a lot to me.
I will do my best.

TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
One more thing.. Valley and Crashes

If you could find me some good pictures/scans (or whatever) of Valley Girl, I would sure give it a try.

Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TKO I will try and find a Valley Girl pic for you......!! not to pull this post away from TKO"S awesome work!! but I remembered I drew a Nagel of myself I'm so vain haha

-

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
How about this TKO??

-

TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
not to pull this post away from TKO

Please feel free to post as many of your own work as you like. In fact (if you want), "I'll give you a whole drawer" haha. [Big Grin]

BTW Awesome work Muffy and indeed very Patrick Nagel-like. An artist I admire very much. Even the use of colours reminds me of his work.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home