iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Tears for Fears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tears for Fears
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just picked up the Best of Tears for Fears for $9.99 at Tower. I saw them live back in the late 80's and forgot how good they were.

Has anyone heard the Mad World cover they play on CSI? I actually like it better then the original as I always felt it should be played slower to give it that haunting feeling that goes with the words.

Anyone else a Tears for Fears fan?

Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why wood thay have a greatest hits cd out this band sucks

(I wouldn't have the greatest hits because I think the band is terrible) <--- This sounds better. There is nothing wrong with thinking something is bad. I have no problem with the devil's advocate. --Devo.

[ 16. September 2006, 12:49: Message edited by: Devolution ]

Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always sort of enjoyed their music. Quite a few good songs in their catalogue.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like alot of their stuff. My fave would have to be "Everybody Wants To Rule The World."
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Larusso
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4417

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mrs Larusso   Email Mrs Larusso   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love 'Shout'

*singing*

"...come on!....I'm talking to you..."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 82 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"why wood thay have a greatest hits cd out this band sucks"

"wood" should be would, "thay" should be they, and the sentence should end with a question mark.

Just because you may think they suck doesn't mean that they do actually suck. That is your opinion and you are welcome to it but what is the point of posting if you're not going to add anything intelligent to the conversation?
If you don't like the band them by all means tell us so we can understand your stance but do it in a respectful manner and not like a little kid.

Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
come on guys I have fresca to share if we only could all just get along
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
I try to get along with everyone and have no problem with people expressing their opinion.
I just think they should do it in a better way then just saying "they suck". I would rather have someone disagree with me and have a good discussion than someone just agree because they are afraid to voice their opinion & have people potentially not like them.

Also grammar is kind of important when you are trying to make a point.

Didn't Fresca have that awful after taste?
Bob

firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic: Tears For Fears

They've hit the mark in the 80's not until both of them got into a really bad habit (drugs). I remember the lead vocalist (the one with curly hair)was not just rehabilitated,he was also confined in the Mental Hosp. & that was the end of they're career. They're still in my heart & memories.It's nice to drive out of town with their song 'Everybody wants to rule the world' + can I recommend JCWBobC their song 'Woman in Chains' it's really a sad song but it makes a statement.Enjoy.

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Hurting" which came out before "Songs from The Big Chair" is most excellent. I picked it up at our local library a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I have "Songs..." on album which I occasionally break outwhen I'm not too lazy to clean the dust off , etc. ;D

I certainly didn't see any thing about one being in a mental hospital Smith had a marriage break up in the 90s and his general distaste for being in the public eye made him keep a low profile. Orzabal and Smith had a falling out in the 90s and made up in 2001. They released "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" last year? and have had two successful tours lately...

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly that's the last I've heard about them back when I was in college. It might be true it might be not. All the best for the band.

Well that's nice to hear that they're back on their feet although I still haven't heard of their come back from my end.

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Orzabal being feted as the "talented" one goes to show - talent doesn't equal quality control (which Smith seemed to be - he certainly stopped some of Orzabal's excesses from all accounts). As a duo they were sometimes good, sometimes bad; but as a solo artist Orzabal was (IMO) bad.

Good memories associated with that period though (ah, Fiona, where are you now???)!

Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am not trying to start troble hear but i personly think this band was no good
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love "Pale Shelter" and "Break It Down Again." Great tunes. I heard "PS" for the first time about two years ago and I was like what is this?? Had to have it! Tears for Fears are okay by me [Smile] !
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
For the people who like Tears for Fears and have heard the song Mad World check out this link and listen to the clip of Gary Jules's version. Supposedly Roland Orzabel said he likes this version better than the original. I am curious as to which one people feel is the better version.

http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Snakeoil-Wolftickets-Gary-Jules/dp/B0001IXTOU/sr=1-3/qid=1158469331/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-3320557-9538210?ie=UTF8&s=music

Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on Mr. Jules' sample, I say TFF's version is much better.
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The slow version would never have been a hit back in '82 the way the original was.

I personally like the original, because it's the song I grew up with. I guess as long as there are both versions it doesn't matter which one you prefer.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
Thanks for the responses.

Their is just something about the new version that I really like. It has something to do with the slower more personal feel of the song while the original has a more pop feel to it.

Bob

LONNIE
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3934

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LONNIE   Email LONNIE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I heard you had a Fresca, I threw out all my Tab and Royal Crown cola. Where can I get Fresca?
Posts: 91 | From: ohio | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpecialK
Master Rewinder
Member # 2152

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SpecialK   Email SpecialK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gary Jules version of "Mad World" is pretty sweet. They play the song at the end of the movie Donnie Darko, which is one of my favorites. Also, there is a very cool slow motion scene at the high school in the movie where they play "Head Over Heels."
Posts: 221 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite 80s groups. I think for some reason my favorite song ever of theirs is "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". Isn't it true?? That song says so much. I love the music of it as well. I also love love love love "Woman in Chains".

Hey there is Donny Darko again. With a Tears for Fears song in it all of the more reason that I want to see that film.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
Donnie Darko was the first time I heard it, then on CSI over a slow motion scene. I have been listening to the original version and I think their both very well done.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home