iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » New Movies 2000- Now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Movies 2000- Now
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no place on here to talk about today's movies...so I thought we should start an arena for it.

I just watched Mystic River last night. All my friends said don't watch it, it is so depressing, you'll wanna kill yourself after watching this movie, but everyone said it was done really well. So..I thought...ok I'll try one more...

It turned out to be...nothing that depressed me, I thought every charcater in it, was completely insane. I thought it totally stunk. They had too many stories, and pieces happening, that didn't even connect. It wasn't even very violent, the only really bad stuff in it, was them saying the f-word every other word.
I thought Sean Penn was a jerk, and I'd love to discuss this movie in detail with anyone, but this topic would have major spoliers in it, cause I couldn't talk about it, without going in to great detail, because it was stupid.
Now, everyone will probably disagree with me, because I never like movies that everyone else does, unless they are 80's movies.
But, I was so curious about this movie, because it won academy awards and everyone said it was shocking...I don't wanna go home from the academy awards with Sean Penn, if he acts anything like Jimmy in the movie. I'll take my chances with Leslie Nielsen.

What do you all think of the movie??

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw the movie, but, really, it didn't sound that good. Then again, this is coming from someone who likes Little Monsters, so my taste in movies is a little weird.

I caught the ending of it, though. I was like, "Where's this going . . . ? It's over."

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We liked this movie when we saw it...but we felt Sean Penn was better in "20 Grams", a much grittier story line, less formulamatic than "Mystic River." I've never been a big Clint Eastwood fan, either as an actor or director though I'll concede that "Unforgiven" was a good movie.

I see new movies as much as I can, which unfortunately is never enough for me. Most of you fellow rewinders are happy enough to watch '80s classics [and some pretty dubious non-classics] time and again...I'm like that too, only I chose from all over the decades, which would include current movies as well.

My biggest criteria is staying away from big-budget SFX-laden blockbusters and sticking with the independent/art/foreign film scene.

"O Brother Kashster, where art thou?"

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hipstermom, “I’m just coming down from big-rock candy mountain and I’m weary”

Saw two movies the other day; ‘The Punisher’ which was enjoyable enough, but had too many B-style comedic interludes (still better than the Lundgren one, as they had the right costume at least) and ‘The Italian Job’ (remake with Mark Wahlberg) which was surprisingly good (maybe because I had such low expectations for it).

I haven’t seen ‘Mystic River’ yet but‘21 Grams’ was an awesome film, actually went to the theatre to see ‘The Passion’ that day, but as it was sold out saw this instead. Great performances by everyone, a gritty, well directed well structured film and one that I’d defiantly watch again some time.

quote:
My biggest criteria is staying away from big-budget SFX-laden blockbusters
You may be interested in my Emmerich appreciation film fest, where we’ll be showing Universal Soldier, ‘Stargate’ ‘Independence Day’, ‘Godzilla’ (twice) and ‘The Patriot’. That said, I thought ‘The Day After Tomorrow’ was Emmerich’s best work to date, no seriously, loved the use of irony, satire and the SFX were very cool (no pun intended).
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my alternative radio station, one of DJ's mentioned seeing "Napoleon Dynamite" which he likened to "Rushmore"...there's a flick I loooooved.

Can I take a raincheck on that testosterone-laden film fest you're planning, as I'm planning a chick-flick fest of "Beaches," "The Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and "Message in a Bottle." Not...I've never even seen those 3 movies -- my idea of a chickfest would be a triple play of "Sweetie," "To Die For" and "Kill Bill."

"She was my Rushmore...she was mine too."

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The end of Isis9968's post:
quote:
[snip]...I don't wanna go home from the Academy Awards with Sean Penn, if he acts anything like Jimmy in the movie...
Hopefully, Sean Penn doesn't act like that in real life. He seems to be a devoted family man these days.

It's a big difference from the 80's, when he was married to Madonna! Remember him roughing up and scuffling with photographers? [Eek!]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
I remember his first role in "Taps" where he was the conscience to Tim Hutton's character and he dated Elizabeth McGovern before the Big M Phenomenon.

I love him in "At Close Range" his personal life and politics notwithstanding.

Anyone here see "The Pledge?"

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, I was hoping someone had seen it, and thought what a bunch of crap like I did. OOOOHHH-One can drean, can't they??

MAJOR SPOILERS COMING UP:

One of my best friend's, and my Aunt said don't watch it. But when people tell me don't, then I have to for sure. Because I think I must be really missing something.

Sean Penn's character is a cold blooded murderer, and he is the biggest hypocrite on the planet, I didn't feel sorry for him one bit.

Tim Robbins, I felt sorry for what happened to him, but he knew that people suspected him all along, and why he didn't just say what he did at the end, when he knew people were coming after him, that part I don't get, but he was so far gone in his head, that it was like he needed put out of his misery.

You know, if my husband came home with blood all over him, and was stabbed in the stomach, I wouldn't start kissing him all over the place, especially when, he says, he might have killed the guy who mugged him. I'd say we are going to the hospital, and we are calling the police. There was no reason to cover that up. The wife, didn't even know at that point that Tim Robbins had been abused as a child.

They never tell you for sure what really did happen to Tim Robbins as a kid.

Kevin Bacon doesn't stay friends with either of them,growing up, and acts like he's a great cop, but at the end he lets Sean Penn get away with murder- for what reason??. And nothing bad happened to Sean Penn or Kevin Bacon as children, they were spared.

The whole thing with Kevin Bacon's wife calling and not talking on the phone, that made no sense, they don't even explain it at the end, it just is thrown in there, and you keep thinking some how they are going to tie this together, and it never does.

They never tell you for sure what happened to Sean Penn's first wife.

Sean Penns daughter is taking off to run away and not tell anyone, so she couldn't have had a great relationship with her Dad, so how can you feel like they were this close family, when she was running away?

It just sucked so bad to me. Nobody has a job, they just bum around, and hang in bars.

They don't explain the Savage Brothers that do everything Sean Penn tells them to do.

I hated the end where Sean Penns' wife, she's just as looney-he confesses to killing an innocent man, and she basically says, I don't care, your wonderful, and we are going to rule the city..like they are some great crime lords, they live like trash.

Hey, at the end..it's like let's have a big stinkin parade, and watch the little boy ride in the parade, who's Dad they all murdered and covered up, let's just shun his poor wife now, and pretend like nothing happen, works for me- NOT.

It was an awful ending.

The best performance I ever saw Sean Penn do-was in the movie Bad Boys. I felt sorry for him in that, and I thought he did an excellent job.

My mom just made me rent Cold Mountain.

I am sure I will be back tomorrow to say I hated it too.
But, the previews looked allright, allthough every time I hear Renee Zellwegger talking in the previews - she'll get on my nerves.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading what Isis said about "Mystic River", another movie that Isis should *NOT* see is...

"Monster's Ball".

Great performances, but very disturbing and heartbreaking.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Spiderman 2', best comic book adaptation since 'X2': great story, true to the comics, fine performance by Toby Maguire, good script and top directing by Sam Raimi, the kind of movie you could easily watch again (especially if you're Stan Lee fan like myself). I look forward to more from your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman whenever that might be (I only hope they let ol' webhead swing out on a high).
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Kash. Spiderman 2 was awesome. And x2 was good too. Spiderman 2 was even better than the first one.
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home