iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Val Kilmer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Val Kilmer
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinema’s Mr Serious Val Kilmer, personally, I think he’s a great actor and quite underrated in the grand scheme of things (probably because everyone thinks he’s a prick). On set rumours of Valerie’s diva antics and the famous ‘don’t look at him in the eyes’ rule have led to him being some what of an alienated star, who could’ve been on a par with the likes of Cruise or…Cruise.

Incidentally, Val’s next big film will be a WWII air-force picture called ‘The Few’, with Tom Cruise as it happens.

(RETURN OF) THE ‘HIGH FIDELITY’ TOP 5: VAL KILMER MOVIES

1.‘Heat’: Val mixes it up with the best (Al and Bob) in Mann’s epic saga of crime and obsession, Val plays a gambling-addicted sniper in DeNiro’s gang of professional thieves. Val more than holds his own here, though he’d rather hit the Roulette table then spend time with is wife (Ashley Judd)…the fool. [Wink]

2.The Doors’: Long film, patchy in places but a tour-de-force performance by Val as Jim Morrison, the man even did his own singing.

3.‘Batman Forever’: Yes, you read it right, Val was the best Bruce Wayne by far and this film had just the right amount of action, fantasy and comical interludes, who could forget Robin’s classic “holy rusty metal” line?)

4.‘Thunderheart’: Michael Apted’s excellent modern noir set in a Native American reservation with Val as a half-caste FBI agent who rediscovers his roots and a shady government/corporate conspiracy against the aboriginal people’s of America.

5.‘The Saint’: Once you get the fact that this doesn’t want to be ‘Mission: Impossible’ ‘The Saint’ is actually a good, often overlooked, adaptation of the classic 60’s series with Roger Moore. Val goes though a few disguises and accents, there’s some cool spy gadgets and Elisabeth Shue even takes her top off; what more do you want? [Wink]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ Valerie reference

I have to say, o great Kashster, that the only Val movie I think I've seen is "Top Gun"...isn't that weird.

I managed to catch some minutes of "Jay & Silent Bob" [chopped up on TV unfortunately] and I liked the movie-within-a-movie concept...the characters are also appearing on TV right now in "I Love the '90s" which you may not be getting over yonder.

Have been AFK a lot lately, but keep those cards & letter coming my friend!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kash I loved "The Saint". I think it showed that Val Kilmer is a truly gifted actor. His ability to play so many different characters was impressive to me. Plus Elisabeth Shue to boot...a cool flick indeed.

I have heard he's a "Tassh" to work with, but the finished result is worth it. Also, I believe the new TCruise flick will be awesome, but sad. Has Cruise ever died in a movie before? [Frown]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of HipsterMom27's post:
quote:
...I managed to catch some minutes of "Jay & Silent Bob" [chopped up on TV unfortunately] and I liked the movie-within-a-movie concept...
Recently, I just found out there's a term for that: "Breaking the fourth wall". It's when the characters in a movie (or TV show, or stage play, or book, or whatever medium it is) recognize there's an audience (that is, you) out there, and start going out of character. It is not a new thing, but seems to be increasingly in use in the 90's and today.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me of a classic Wayne's World moment: "Ribbed for her pleasure...eee-yew."
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of HipsterMom27's post:

quote:
Have been AFK a lot lately, but keep those cards & letter coming my friend!
Will do (he says after having been away for a week himself!) AFK, is that something like AWOL?

quote:
"Jay & Silent Bob" [chopped up on TV unfortunately] and I liked the movie-within-a-movie concept
How did they manage to do Jay's opening song?! (it must've been cut out altogether). Its because of the New Jersey saga that I dont' mind Ben Affleck (I thought the 'Goodwill Hunting' sequel sketch was hilarious: "well maybe you're just not that good...Will Hunting") [Big Grin]

Part of Valleycat's post:

quote:
I believe the new TCruise flick will be awesome, but sad. Has Cruise ever died in a movie before?
Thanks for giving away the ending Valley [Roll Eyes] [Smile] I kinda remember Cruise's chracter being killed in 'TAPS' (but its been so long since I saw it), then there was his temporary demise in 'Interview With The Vampire' only to return at the end in spectacular fashion. As far as I know, Cruise doesn't ever like to do films with a downbeat ending (he even turned down 'Edward Scissorhands' for that very reason, just as well, as that wouldn't have been the right role for him).
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LimeyG
Rewind Curious
Member # 3247

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LimeyG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:

Incidentally, Val’s next big film will be a WWII air-force picture called ‘The Few’, with Tom Cruise as it happens.

I think right now, he's working on a live-action "Ten Commandments" ...

Did you see him on "Entourage" on HBO the other week? For a guy who doesn't do drugs, he plays a convincing pot-dealer!

Posts: 2 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me, "Kash", is it?

Where in your top five is Val's show stealing performance in Tombstone???

Shame on you and shame on everyone else for failing to pick up on this...

Mr Snuggle's is telling me to go out and do nasty things right now due to this major oversight... [Mad] [Wink]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noms I started a whole thread for "Tombstone"...Val rocked in that movie.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LimeyG
Rewind Curious
Member # 3247

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LimeyG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard that Val is a Christian Scientist--looks like he's appearing on the church's website this week, reading from the Bible!
http://www.churchofchristscientist.org/weeklybiblelesson

Posts: 2 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home