iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Forrest Gump (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Forrest Gump
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was your favorite part about Forrest Gump? The thing that stood out most for me was the accept that Tom Hanks used, he said he modeled it after the younger actor who played Forrest as a child in the movie.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel ashamed. All I remember of this movie is that damned chocolate thing and him playing ping pong.
Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is hilarious. Alex you need to watch this classic again. It really is a heartfelt movie.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to rate a favorite part, it would be Forrest's continued habit of jumping off the Jenny I for whatever reason and swimming away, leaving no one behind the wheel. (CRASH! "That there's my boat.")
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest I only watched it the first time as the effects were a technical marvel and, in the job that I was in, there was some interest in the idea of history from an alternative viewpoint as a basis for something else.

I can understand the appeal of the film but I'm not for outright emotional manipulation of an audience. If I want to feel sympathy for the character I would like to get there on my own. I did like Lieutenant Dan in it though - just reminded me of someone I know who's family are ave a noble tradition of screwing up like that too!

Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite part, I guess, would be the end of the movie, when Forrest put his son on the school bus. I think his son was okay going off to school, but Forrest didn't want to let him go. One of the funniest parts was when Forrest said, "I got shot in the buttocks." It was just the way he said it.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fave part was when he walked in on Elvis when Elvis was staying in one of their rooms. He showed Elvis how to twist. This movie is my fave Tom Hanks flick.........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely hated this movie. When it came out, I went and bought it without ever having seen it, only because everyone said it was so good...I thought it was horrible. It was depressing, it was so phoney in the scenes where they put him in front of the blue screen. I hated the whole thing about his mom...when she ended up sleeping with the principal to get him in to the school...I never forgot that scene, because I thought...are they doing what I think they are doing? Cause from what I understood about the movie....Sally Field was to be this wonderful mother in this movie....and I thought...what is up with that, and then it just was one depressing thing after another...and I never understood what people thought was so great...it wasn't uplifting...it was a total downer. So, I think the end was my favorite part...and then I gave the movie away.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me it just felt like the movie went from special effect to special effect and never really pulled you into the story. It's hard to feel emotions for someone who never shows emotion so I ended up resenting the fact that I couldn't feel anything for the character. I understand the character is slow so he doesn't understand a lot of what is going on but that doesn't automatically make him interesting.
Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched it once. Haven't felt the need to do so again. How come a movie with a message of hope can be so dammed depressing?
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good point. I guess it just gets people thinking about life, which Forrest definitely did.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the movie was actually pretty uplifting considering he overcame tremendous hardships to achieve alot.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AdventuresInGooniesitting
Master Rewinder
Member # 1882

- posted      Profile for AdventuresInGooniesitting         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this movie in ages...I saw it in the theater with some friends and we all loved it. I won a VHS copy of the film as part of a VH1 contest when it was first released on home video, along with the 2-disc CD soundtrack and a Bubba/Gump Shrimp hat, which I wore proudly for a few months in high school. [Razz]

I don't remember much from the film 'cept for a few key scenes. I definitely need to watch this again soon...

And I didn't find the movie to be all that depressing...I'm in Motley's boat on this one.

Posts: 269 | From: Dawson's Garage, I owe $5 | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longhairedwonderdog
Rewind Curious
Member # 4978

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for longhairedwonderdog   Email longhairedwonderdog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was living in Flagstaff AZ when FG was being filmed. They needed a bunch of extras to run, so i ended up being one of the runners. it was cool being in some scenes with Tom Hanks.
Posts: 3 | From: Alaska | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex In Wonderland:
To be honest I only watched it the first time as the effects were a technical marvel and, in the job that I was in, there was some interest in the idea of history from an alternative viewpoint as a basis for something else.

I can understand the appeal of the film but I'm not for outright emotional manipulation of an audience. If I want to feel sympathy for the character I would like to get there on my own. I did like Lieutenant Dan in it though - just reminded me of someone I know who's family are ave a noble tradition of screwing up like that too!

I do agree with him. The movie didn't focus on the emotional impact of the audiences to the point that it'll carry the audience with the same emotional experience. It's a great movie don't get me wrong. I think it's the character of Forrest having that 'blank' look on his face made which made this impact (I don't think anyone could pulled it better than Tom Hanks).They focus more on events in time which is quite unique added by unusual achievements all rolled into one. The ONLY part that has pure emotion & which I like the most is the part when Forrest 1st knew he has a son. The way he moves and his eyes (you can feel what's inside him which is a mixture of amazement & fear) [Cool]
Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite part is where i turned it off after the first 20 minutes.Just couldnt stand it!
His voice drove me crazy for one and to be honest i think HANKS is a very overrated actor.He's never bettered BATCHELOR PARTY in my opinion.
I have promised myself to try again with FORREST GUMP but right now it's just not on the cards baby.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I absolutely hated this movie. When it came out, I went and bought it without ever having seen it, only because everyone said it was so good...I thought it was horrible. It was depressing, it was so phoney in the scenes where they put him in front of the blue screen. I hated the whole thing about his mom...when she ended up sleeping with the principal to get him in to the school...I never forgot that scene, because I thought...are they doing what I think they are doing? Cause from what I understood about the movie....Sally Field was to be this wonderful mother in this movie....and I thought...what is up with that, and then it just was one depressing thing after another...and I never understood what people thought was so great...it wasn't uplifting...it was a total downer. So, I think the end was my favorite part...and then I gave the movie away.

how can you not like this movie, you must live in outer mongolia, it doesn't take a genius to understand it!
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kells
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5139

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for kells   Email kells   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watched it for the 1st last week id seen it in bits and pieces when sumone else was watching it so id ony seen snippets but when i watched it from start 2 finish it wasnt really my cup of tea but then again one persons perfume is another ones poison!!!
Posts: 16 | From: belfast | Registered: Nov 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IS it just me or was Lieutenant Dan freakin HOT????
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

It's just you......
Fang
Rewinder
Member # 5593

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Fang   Email Fang   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated this movie also. I'm very sentimental when it comes to movies but this bored me to tears. Tom Hanks as a simpleton? And THIS steals Best Picture from the masterclass that is PULP FICTION? Okay, maybe I'm a BIT biased!
Posts: 33 | From: London England | Registered: Feb 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCWBobC
Master Rewinder
Member # 2525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JCWBobC   Author's Homepage   Email JCWBobC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Shawshank Redemption was up that year also and that was a 100 times better than Gump.
At the time I figured Pulp Fiction would never win due to the violence & language but I hoped that Shawshank would take best picture because it had characters that you cared about. The scene were Tim Robbins plays the music and a every prisoner just stops to listen is just a great moment.

Bob

Posts: 314 | From: NJ | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willow
Master Rewinder
Member # 4953

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willow   Email Willow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am afraid I'm also someone who dislikes Forrest Gump. There was just something about this movie that makes it hard for me to like.
It's funny because my sister (who LOVES this movie) can't believe I can't stand it.

Posts: 105 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairytayle_17
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4041

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for fairytayle_17   Email fairytayle_17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it.. Can't watch it more than once a year though I'm afriad.

But one thing I do not like about the film is Jenny's character. I hate how she treats Forest. I think he can do better. I know its only a film but still...

Posts: 58 | From: Isle of Wight, England | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mollyfan22
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5665

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mollyfan22   Email Mollyfan22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is such a great movie though. The history, the music...wow
Posts: 15 | From: Portland, Me | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home