iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Jurassic Park

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jurassic Park
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a kid, the Saturday morning tv show "Land Of The Lost" always caught my attention. It was a kid's show, but thus began my fascination with dinosaurs.

When "Jurassic Park" came out, I must have watched this movie 20 times between the theater and DVD. I'm not as big a fan of the two sequels, but I do own them both. Well, the whole trilogy experience created "Jurassic Burnout" for me, which means I haven't seen these movies in years.

So last night I popped in the original "Jurassic Park" and it was such a treat. My favorite character is Jeff Goldblum's Dr. Ian Malcolm. He had so many great lines and his chaos theory is hilarious. Which is basically a theory you can use in any situation and nobody can prove it wrong.

The special effects...wow "Jurassic Park" is already 13 years old....are still awesome. Those Raptors were bad news, but don't mess with the T-Rex.

The official Jurassic Park Site:
Jurassic Park

Also, I noticed that there are plans to make a Jurassic Park IV for 2008, which I think might be a bad idea.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the first Jurassic Park and the 2nd one was so so, but to me the 3rd one was awful. It seems like they got progressively worse from the 2nd to the 3rd. I also think a fourth one may be a bad idea considering the downward spiral of the franchise...........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the 1st one. I think they should only make a 4th one if they put a giant gorilla swatting bi-planes in it.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the first one, my brother and I spent a week straight watching it every night and now we quote the dumbest lines because they were said funny. "We could have a COUPon day." "Don't get cheap on me, Dogson." For some reason, Jeff Goldblum's laugh in the helicopter was either really funny or really uncomfortable.

The second one is actually my favorite, and I'll admit it's because of Jeff Goldblum. Not only was Ian Malcolm my favorite character, but I just also really like Jeff Goldblum. I ALMOST sat through all of The Life Aquatic for him. Almost.

The third one was a terrible movie, and not just as a threquel. It just sucked all around. No Ian Malcolm, no good storyline, the raptors are more accurate but look silly, there's too much action, and there's an annoying kid there. The characters weren't interesting and no one really cared if they got eaten (except Sam Neil, who was the only original cast member and did his best [yes, Laura Dern does show up, but her storyline is kind of out of the blue and doesn't make sense. Her character was actually more interesting in the five minutes she shows up than all of the supporting cast on the island.]).

I am looking forward to the fourth one, and I think that's because a) Jeff Goldblum, b) I think they're taking the dinosaurs to the city in the direction the second film was going, and c) Jeff Goldblum.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loooooved this movie as a kid! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lupa, I totally agree about Jeff Goldblum. He was on a roll back then. I thought he was excellent in the movie "Independence Day" as well. He was definitely the best part of the sequel.

For some reason, I enjoyed his work in a quirky movie called "Into The Night", though the movie was somewhat dark and disturbing for a comedy.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the first one was pretty cool...I also had a fascination with dinosaurs too...I loved Land of the Lost..and there was a cartoon called "Valley of the Dinosaurs"-it was a cool show.

I remember when Jurassic Park came out we saw it at the Drive-In...and I was freaked out...the wind was blowing the trees around, and I was so sure a T-Rex was going to come busting through the trees at any second.

I wish they would have got the original cast together for all the sequels...instead of half in part 2 and the other half of them in part 3...and I never did understand who the guy was in part 3 that goes with Dr. Grant on to the island...he was the one who I think got picked up by a Taradactal (sp?)...and I could not stand William H. Macey and Tei Leoni's characters..they were so annoying...when she was yelling for her son...I thought ...you dummy...you need eaten.

In part 2-the best scene was when the T-Rexes, were pushing them off the cliff...that was pretty cool. I don't like Julianne Moore or Vince Vaughn-so they just bothered me...and I never quite understood why they gave Malcom a kid...and one that didn't quite look like him.
Why didn't they have the 2 kids from part 1 in part 2...you see them for a whole 5 seconds at the beginning of Part 2.

[ 04. July 2006, 21:42: Message edited by: ISIS ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Goldblum really helped make it all great ("Now, uh, eventually you are planning to have DINOSAURS on your dinosaur tour? Hello? Anyone there?"). Glad they didn't decided to kill him off like sometimes they do. Another great success for IL&M, especially with the running herd and attacking "Ty" moments (although why they thought a tyrannosaurus would sound like a malfunctioning truck horn is beyond me. And the overall message is one we should all pay heed to: try what we may, nature WILL find a way to overcome...
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is definately the second film. I enjoyed the first one, but I found the 2nd to be a lot more exciting and fun in general. I loved seeing the Trex wandering around San Diego, it was sure done better than Godzilla!

Jurassic Park: The Lost World should also be remembered for the early on the cusp of fame performances of Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughn.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liked the original, I remember seeing it in the cinema and there was a genuine feeling that we were venturing into the unknown; as the towering 'Jurassic Park' gates creaked open and we got our first sight of the Brachiosaurs and the caged Raptors just itching to get out. Good story and great effects made for entertaining cinema, and yes, Jeff Goldblum was very cool as "Chaotician" Dr Malcolm.

'JP2: The Lost World' didn't really work for me, it was far too long, quite boring at times and the T-Rex city finale came too late in the day. 'JP3' on the other hand, whilst by no means a classic, wasn't as bad as I expected; the movie rolled along at a nice pace, didn't take itself as seriously as the sequel and the Pterodactyls were brilliantly recreated.

[ 05. July 2006, 15:47: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis- I wish I had a drive-in around here, it sounds like it'd be fun to go to one.

The reason the cast was split up was because (and this is from memory so I hope I don't get the info wrong): Sam Neil (Allen Grant) had something else scheduled (another movie?) at the time and couldn't do the shoot, and Jeff Goldblum was going to be in the third one but he broke his leg before filming and decided to stay out of the movie because his character wasn't important to the storyline. And the first two movies are based on books (I think the second one is anyhow), the third one is made up by moviemakers. But Malcolm had kids in the book (two, I think), and the two characters were put together into one kid and put into the second film. The reason the original two kids did not show up in the second movie was because while Hammond was kind of daft, he's not sending his two grandkids to an island to study their habitat. It wouldn't make sense seeing as, you know, they aren't scientists or photographers or employed. The only reason Malcolm's daughter showed up was because she stowed away in one of the trailers to see him, which makes more sense.

Yeah, the scene where they're being pushed off the cliff is good. I'll admit that the pterodactyles in the third one made for a good action scene, but that's about it. The spinosaurous was the main problem for the characters, and it just sucked because...Well, this is just me, but the reason Superman was never my favorite hero was because he was just so super. The only thing that got to him was Kryptonite and that just made the whole issue get old because every villain had Kryptonite. Same with the spinosaurous. He had no weakness, didn't slow down, and nothing interesting happened because they were all just running away from him. Plus the kid on the island? Annoying. Smart kids that show up adults in movies get on my nerves.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is coming on AMC at 8PM tonight.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home