iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » The Prophecy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Prophecy
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great film, very underrated in the grand scheme of things; Christopher Walken steals the show as usual, playing the archangel Gabriel. Walken’s a Heavenly outcast in open rebellion against God, he’s out to destroy humanity by snatching the soul of a recently deceased U.S. general in order to harness the essence of deceit and cunning (both human traits) and use it to win the civil war in Heaven (which is closed until said war is over); out to stop him is regular angel Simon (Eric Stoltz) and former priest turned cop Elias Koteas. The soul has been hidden for safekeeping inside a young Native American girl, which in turn brings Virginia Madsen’s kindly schoolteacher into the picture, and just when you think you’ve seen it all, along comes a brilliant Viggo Mortensen as the Devil himself.

‘The Prophecy’ is an unusually intelligent, supernatural thriller with great performances from all concerned (Amanda Plummer and Adam Goldberg also co-star) particularly from Christopher Walken, easily one of the top 10 finest actors working today. The movie spawned two inferior sequels with Chris reprising his role as Gabriel, but the original is by far the best, and definitely worth seeing.

[ 25. December 2005, 15:45: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie proves what an underrated actor Chris Walken is. One of my fave underrated movies...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody ever see "the manitou"? came out about the same time as "prophesy," hell i think i saw em the same week.

difference is the manitou is pretty dreadful.

Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
weird, looks like prophesy isn't out on dvd. what's with that?
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
lol. duh. i'm spelling it the british way.

i put it on my queue.

Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Tia:
weird, looks like prophesy isn't out on dvd. what's with that?

It may as well not be: no deleted scenes, no Walken commentary talk about shoddy vanilla versions, this flick deserves better. Miramax, Harvey: put the ****ing fork down and re-release this cult classic immediately.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnyaKay27
Rewinder
Member # 4675

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for AnyaKay27   Email AnyaKay27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my all time favorites!!! I love this movie, I love the sequel. I haven't had the chance to check out the newest edition to the series. It came out sometime last year...Anyone seen it?? Christopher Walken rocks!!
Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say I've heard of Prophecy. Sadly I have heard of, and seen, Manitou.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still haven't seen The Prophecy, but it looks like something I might like. I saw bits of the sequels, but y'know, sometimes you just don't get what's going on if you don't start from the beginning.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like it's along the lines of The End of Days with Arnold. I will have to look into this one. Why didn't I hear of this before?
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier
Master Rewinder
Member # 3305

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for annier   Author's Homepage   Email annier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love this movie. My friend used to make me watch it when i stayed over at her house cause it really scared the crap out of me.

Annier

Posts: 312 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home