iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » The Truth Is Out There

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Truth Is Out There
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the greatest TV shows of all time, I was 13 when ‘The X-Files’ began and 22 when it came to an unwelcome end, quite frankly, there hasn’t been a programme I’ve been as committed to since (sure, there’ve been some good programmes: ‘6 Feet Under’, ‘The Shield’ and so on, but none of them engaged or sustained my interest for as long as ‘The X-Files’ did). The last two seasons lost a bit of momentum (comedy episodes rarely worked) and the super-fans were, like super-fans are, somewhat of a lovable embarrassment, in fact, Gillian Anderson once remarked that the only reason she came back for the last series, was because she felt bad for all super-fans (yeah Gillian, that and a fat paycheque no doubt [Wink] [Razz]

IMHO Chris Carter is a creative genius, and his other shows ‘Millennium’ (which I didn’t see as often as I would’ve liked) and ‘Harsh Realm’ (brilliant, albeit short lived, series about false reality) were also fascinating concepts bought to life by a skilled screenwriter who knows his craft. Like many others, the 90s were not a barrel of laughs for me either, but then again, they weren’t meant to be; ‘X-Files’ was pseudo-real preparation for the dark days ahead (stop me if I’m being melodramatic [Wink] ) and putting aside the whole UFO angle for a moment, life has indeed imitated art; what with government conspiracies, convoluted plots against the public, pandemics, totalitarianism and so on. In fact, recall the chilling finale where Fox Mulder is arrested and disappeared by the big-government (nwo) only to end up a secret prisoner in Guantanimo Bay.

One of my favourite episodes has to be ‘The Sixth Extinction’ (series 7), it was an absolute classic where Mulder’s been driven insane (or too sane for his own mind to handle) whilst Scully is left to decipher the verses on an alien spacecraft washed up on the Ivory coast. The scenes where Mulder is led astray from his mission in dreams are excellent (even going so far as to consider going to cancer man’s house for tea! [Eek!] ) and the final moment between Mulder & Scully where the sceptic reminds the believer of his purpose, is beautifully done. ‘Tunguska’ is another great episode and features a standout performance by Gillian Anderson.

Any fans of the truth out there? [Cool]

[ 31. October 2005, 17:44: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never able to sit through the X-Files. Why is that I wonder? I know it has become a cult classic. I guess because Sci-Fi is my least favorite genre. Not quite sure why?
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X Files rulz! Quite possibly one of the best shows of the 90s although it ran into the 2000's...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE X-FILES was ok... just never really got to the point did it? the movie wasn't all that either.
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess asked:
quote:
...I guess because Sci-Fi is my least favorite genre. Not quite sure why?
As a genre, science-fiction is an acquired taste. You either love it or hate it.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the XFiles!

It was one of those my whole family would sit down and watch together.....we're sci-fi buffs.

It was creative and witty.....episodes we're talked about for the week among friends.

One I rememeber loving was when Moulder and Scully told their own accounts of "what happened" how the other one saw it...it was funny because you knew each character so well....and I just thought how cool and inventive is this!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the episodes from the first three or four years the best. I didn't like the last season at all. I didn't like the two new partners they bought in for Scully when Mulder "vanished."
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aparently few people did.

There's widespread talk of another X-Files movie in the near future, although details are a bit sketchy at the moment as to what would happen (who knows, maybe they'd work with some Men in Black).

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Robert Patrick helped the show out alot when he joined in latter seasons...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve always thought of Robert Patrick as a Ray Liotta wannabe, he’s quite a good actor (still weighed down by 'T2') but not one who can carry a movie or even a series for that matter, any actor who comes into an established partnership nine years into the saga is going to have a rough time of it, David Duchovny was getting his movie career off the ground at that time (well, I say film career: ‘Evolution’ and ‘Return To Me’, his hilarious cameo as the world’s greatest hand model in ‘Zoolander’ was the best thing he did during that hiatus, and he could’ve shot that in a week or so).

I've never seen the movie 'Fight The Future' as it felt like a pointless cash-in, movie spin offs really ought to be reserved for when the shows off air...now, would be a good time for another 'X Files' film.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home