iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Dr Michael Mancini

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr Michael Mancini
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Michael is one of the most brilliant tv characters ever devised. How on earth did he manage to be so evil, so dastardly, so smug, and yet be much loved by the audience?

A quick rundown of the things he did -

- cheated on his wife Jane with Kimberley
- crashed while drink driving, leaving him to think that he had killed Kimberley
- forcing his only friend Mat to fudge the blood alcohol records
- marrying Sydney because she blackmailed him
- slept with every woman on the show
- blackmailed Peter into giving him the Chief of Staff job

I know there are a lot of more great things that Michael did. He fell in love with Amanda when she had cancer (and you knew she had cancer because she wore pale lipstick). He fell in love with Sydney. He fell in love with Kimberley. He fell in love with Megan. He fell in love with Jane again. But mostly he was just in love with himself.

I haven't seen an Melrose since it finished. What other great Mancini moments have I forgotten? Who was your favorite character? What was the greatest moment? (Mine would be when Kimberley ripped off her wig)

Is Melrose on DVD in America? It's not available here yet.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not yet.

For that matter, outside of the pilot episode, neither is "Beverly Hills 90210".

There is an audience for the Spelling shows, but I think the programs have been lost in the shuffle involving the sale of Republic Pictures (the owners of the Spelling Entertainment library) to Paramount.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks John. That's too bad, I'm sure there'd be a huge market for dvd's of both of those series.

I know Spelling's Charmed is on DVD, I have the first season, and have seasons 2 and 3 on order for when they are released here. I've also got Season 1 of the Golden Girls on order too.

I think the next on my list would be "V", I'll have to check if it's available

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually hate those "Spelling shows" but I used to watch MELROSE PLACE...until "dead" Kimberly walked out of the sea and then they lost me.
These shows just dont know when to stop themselves from crossing the line into lunacy!

Considering how "nicey nice" the other guys on the show were of course Michael was the "fun" charactor.

My brother in law looks like him. For years I called him "Dr Mancini"

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Sorry Mamamia, I'm not sure what you mean by the other guys on Melrose being "nicey nicey"

Dr Peter Burns - tried to murder Amanda on the operating table

Dr Bret Cooper - tried to drive his exwife Lexi insane

Billy Campbell - sex addict

Jake Hanson - anger management problems

Matt was probably the only consistantly nice guy on the show.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Melrose Place too in the very first season, but for the life of me I can not remember anything about it.

Isn't the girl who played Sydney married to Doug Savant in real life?

I think I thought the guy who played Jake was really cute...what ever happened to him, that's the only thing I ever saw him in. I had hopes for this show when it first came on, cause I loved Dallas, and missed the late night soaps. I never watched Dynasty or any of the others, I saw Knots Landing a few times, and now I wish I could watch them again, cause I think now I'd appreciate them and like them even more. I always thought Emma Samms was gorgeous...she was on Falcon Crest, and so was Pamela Sue Anderson.

But...like Mamamia said...everything eventually becomes unbelievable...they start out great, with great story lines, but you gotta think...what has never been done before, and eventually everyone gets to sleeping with everyone and then what do you have left?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I don't get why people watch soap operas...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so at the point I watched it the guys were nicey nicey.
Billy was in a love triangle with Heater Locklear and Courtney Thorne Smith...but still a pretty nice guy, cuz he didnt realize Courtney Thorne Smith was into him at that point.
The gay guy was nice. I remember he was supposed to have a Big Gay Controversial Kiss that sort of got edited to shreds! (Remember that?)
Jake....I really dont recall alot of hios story lines. Wasnt he with Jo? (Daphne Zuniga?) It's blurry his storyline.
Michael I vividly remember cheating on his wife with her sister as well as crazy Kimberly.
And when Kimberly "came back" I left MELROSE PLACE.
Are they on DVD? It's been long enough that watching it again might actually be fun.
I remember when the show started out EVERYONE was overly nice and it was dull...which is why they started having charactors stab eachother in the back! (I'm talking Season One with "the black girl" and the "blonde actress")

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Okay, Guys and Gals, Heres what we gotta do?
Alone we are but one! But together we are an Army!
Go to www.amazon.com
and look up in their DVD section MELROSE PLACE.
A note will come up saying they dont carry it YET but will notify you if they ever do. It also says that whenever they get one of these "requests" they notify the company that distributes these things and let's them know how many people WANT the show on DVD.
I already "voted".
Anyone else who wants to see MELROSE PLACE get the DVD treatment go there and request it. Maybe we can make them put it out on DVD so we can learn to love, hate, and laugh again!

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
That was pretty early on that you watched it, Mamamia. In the first season it was much more laid back, just about the trials and tribulations of getting through your 20's. The ratings weren't so good, so they introduced Heather Locklear to spice things up, and history was made.

I remember during probably the 3rd or 4th season, there was a tv special that counted down the top 20 most outrageous Melrose Moments.

And Isis, yeah Laura Leighton (Sidney) is married to Doug Savant (Matt)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home