iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Phone Booth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phone Booth
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched most of it with Colin Farrell (I have never seen him in any movie ever- and he is not even close to good looking, so I can't understand his whole appeal), but that was about stupid. It had 80's actors Keifer Sunderland and Forrest Whitaker in it...so I gave it a shot. But, the whole end was stupid, they never explain what the heck the whole thing was all about, I hate that.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Isis on this one.

On paper, the concept for the story seemed like an interesting idea. And I understand that the script was written back in the 60's, with the hopes that Alfred Hitchc0ck would direct it, but that never happened. Too bad, because it might've made for an interesting film, and far better than the one that was actually made.

Then again, Joel Schumacher directed this film. In my opinion, he is one of the biggest "hack" big-budget directors today. I cannot think of any director today who frequently takes an interesting story idea and premise and turn it into something routine (at best) or very disappointing as Schumacher does. [Frown]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the guy from "Phone Booth" should have been connected to the chick from "Cellular" because both movies stunk and then we could have combined our disappointment into one movie.

-

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept thinking ...what was so bad about Colin Farrell's character?? He seems just like any other dude in the city...who doesn't lie to people ?? And I missed the beginning...but did Katie Holmes ever speak in the whole movie? I just saw her standing there looking dumb founded the whole time. It kept making me think of Dog Day Afternoon...when Al Pacino came out on the street with the one bank teller. Colin Farrel was talking about why he wore expensive suits and fake watches...to look important...but he didn't look "classy" in anyway.

****Spoliers******

They didn't show the police doing anything major to track the guy down...they found a phone record, and new exactly where he was immediately...that was not through any great detective work...and then what does Colin Farrell do...he warns him they are coming to get him, and then they show him the guy at the end...and they say do you know him? And when he says yes...I thought WOW...it is going to be someone he saw every day...and who knew alot about him...but he didn't know he was being basically stalked by him...but then it was the pizza guy...and you know that wasn't who it was...but Colin Farrell thought it was, until the very end-and didn't wonder or say...how did that guy know all those things about me??, so they never tell you who the guy really was, when you find out the truth... about why he picked Colin Farrell to do this whole elaborate set up too...I thought maybe it was going to be that Katie Homes had a boyfriend too, and he knew about them.

It actually did have potential.

See...this is what gets me...is there is potential in ever single movie for it to be good...you can take any idea....and go either way with it...you can make it great or make it stupid...and today's movies always take the stupid route.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap Isis and I finally agree on a movie. I think Farrell is about as talentless as they come. And he's contantly given good roles in great movies. I just can't figure it out. I rank him right up there with Keanu Reeves and Russell Crowe on the talentless list..
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not every modern movie takes the stupid route Isis. I can name one 80s movie to every modern movie you name that took a stupid route. Once again, a close minded statement on your part...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna have to disagree with all of you here, I thought 'Phone Booth' was a sharp, and focused redemption thriller with a good performance by Farrell. Joel Shumacher may have helmed unforgivably bad flicks in his time, but lest we forget that after John Hughes, J.S. is Mr. 80S: 'Lost Boys' 'St.Elmo's', some of his other films like 'Falling Down', 'Flatliners' etc are also excellent.

And as for Colin Farrell? granted the man has a slick PR machine behind him, but he was great in the Vietnam film 'Tigerland' not to mention 'Minority Report' and the movie in question. I'm the only person I know who quite liked Oliver Stone's 'Alexander' as well (though will someone please tell me why ancient Macedonians have Irish accents?).

Colin Farrell's upcoming epic 'The New World' about European colonialism in America, looks awesome as well and should give 'King Kong' a run for its money in December (but then again, Malick's movies rarely do well at the box office).

[ 03. October 2005, 05:31: Message edited by: Kash ]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Kash said: "I'm the only person I know who quite liked Oliver Stone's 'Alexander' as well (though will someone please tell me why ancient Macedonians have Irish accents?).

Colin Farrell's upcoming epic 'The New World' about European colonialism in America, looks awesome as well and should give 'King Kong' a run for its money in December (but then again, Malick's movies rarely do well at the box office)."

Because it makes more sense for a Macedonian to have an Irish accent than a surfer dude one (sorry Keanu fans). Woooooooo dude lets go ride an elephant. As for "The New World," I think Christian Bale will by far outshine Colin in this one although it does look like a good flick...

Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I don't see the appeal of Colin Farrell either. He looks way to gross in real life to pull off being a smooth operator in any films I have seen him in.

I only watched Phone Booth once. Probablly will not see it again. I did like Kiefer Sutherland as the wacko in it though. I am just not a big Colin fan, he does absolutely nothing for me.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I didn't like Keifer at all.

Colin Farrell was a total chicken in that movie...I would have taken my chances... and took off running, and dodging around left and right...before I would have started screaming my personal life on the street...in front of everyone to my wife...who didn't deserve any of that. That is what was the most stupid...if he really cared about his wife...he would have just said "shoot me, before I hurt her like that".

I just never understood...why Keifer picked him to torment....he said he had been a client of his...but the thing was...why was it any of his buisness if Colin Farrell cheated on his wife?? I mean that isn't the worst crime on the planet...if you went around shooting everyone that cheated....then there wouldn't be anybody left on the planet. I just didn't get it...they didn't give Keifer a good enough reason to be doing what he was doing...aside from just being plain crazy.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home