iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Almost Heroes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Almost Heroes
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone watch this flick? I love it. I think it's hilarious.

Here's the plot in a nutshell: Adventurers Leslie Edwards (Matthew Perry) and Bartholomew Hunt (Chris Farley), along with their ragtag team of imcompetent help, try to beat Lewis and Clark to the Pacific Ocean in order to become famous. Hilarity ensues because the only one that has any sense is Edwards.

[SPOILERS AHEAD]

Some of my favorite moments:

Chris Farley getting the eagle egg. The look on his face when he first sees the eagle kills me every time.

Bidwell getting his ear bitten off and Pratt performing an experiment by talking into his ear.
"I'm going to perform an experiment! (speaks into ear) Bidwell, can you hear me?"
"I CAN hear you, Pratt!"
"Of course he can hear you, he's standing right--(pause) Never mind."

"I fear the bear has killed Bidwell, sir. He's failed to communicate with me by way of his ear."
"It doesn't work that way. It doesn't work any way! But even if it did work, he couldn't talk through it!"

The straw women were hilarious.
"She said she didn't mind if I smoked, and I BELIEVED HER!"

"Permission to check on the condition of my woman. I want to check her bandages and see if she can get some food down."
"You do realize this woman of yours is made of straw?"
"Oh yes, sir. I figured that why she burned so easy."

"The only one flourishing seems to be Pratt, who has been eating what remains of his straw woman."

"Who's idea was the corn?"

Hunt describing the animals on his adventures was hilarious.
"I've seen badgers with paws as big as frying pans--They'll rip your face RIGHT OFF! RIGHT OFF--There's nothin' you can do about that! I've seen a hawk swoop down and gauge out a man's eyeballs--AH! AH! AAAAAAAAAAH!! He was screamin', 'I'M BLIND!'"
Then the men are like, "THERE'S AN ANIMAL NOW!!!!" and start firing all the guns and cannons. "WE CAN'T KILL IT!!!! WE'RE ALL DEAD!!!"
"Hold your fire! It's only a squirrel."
"(silence) HE'S GOT SOMETHING IN HIS HAND!!!!" and then they start firing again.

This is just great stuff. Funny, funny movie.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the best of Farley's films, and certainly not the one that should have been his last (why is it that big comedians always seem to end their careers with films set in the West, and frequently in the past?), but it does have its moments. Among those that make it for me:

-when they come up to the Native American village and the first guy they talk to keeps punching them out (plus Eugene Levy's comments that he knows every Native American dialect except this one)

-Farley's run-ins with the eagles, even though his final encounter wherein it picks him up and drags him halfway out to sea could never happen in real life (the eagle would weigh only about 15 pounds)

-the aforementioned scene where they all get trigger-happy at the squirrel

-FARLEY: This is for your own good.
(decks Perry)
PERRY: How was that for my own good!?
FARLEY (sheepish): The, uh, punch was supposed to knock you out.

And a couple others I can't remember offhand.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh heh, yeah, and then after he punches him and it doesn't knock him out, he looks around and picks up a huge rock. "This oughta do it-" "What the hell are you doing?! GO! He's going!"
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two more parts stick out as well now that I remember:

-Farley, after beating Hidalgo at drinking, commenting, "Now if you'll excuse me, I think it's time for the alcohol to take effect" and falling down in classic fashion.

-Farley and Perry finding out that the braves they're hiring to take out the Spaniards are younger than the 100-year-old Native American they've approached for the job--but not by much

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
Those Indian braves kicked some tail! What about the Spaniards asking Hunt to smile while they killed him so the head would look nice?
"Go to hell."
"No. Did you see how ugly your face was when you said that? . . . Say puppy."
"Yeah, say puppy."
"One cannot help but smile when they say puppy."

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home