iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Favorite/Hated 90s Trend??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite/Hated 90s Trend??
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay now we all know about the 80s stuff like: Leg warmers, friendship bracelets, puffy shirts, swatches, those tennis shoes that you could velcro different colors on the side (drawn a blank on the name), big hair, and so on.....

What were some of the 90's trends that you can remember, liked em or hated em????

I remember the big hair of the 80s definately extended on into the early part of the decade. Rolling up the bottoms of your pants and wearing colored socks that matched your outfit. Sounds strangely enough 80s to me still it did take place in the 90s.

What about the popularity of rap music??

What are some trends that you can think of?? [Smile]

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hated the band aids on the clothes. Anyone remember that one?
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Return of the hip-huggers that slowly get lower and lower? Men wearing pants that don't fit them.

Hm . . . Return of boybands? Blonde teen pop princesses?

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-T-Shirts with classic cartoon characters dressed in gangsta rap gear. I always associated Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck with anvils and mallets, not Glocks and Gats.

-The Macarena. Couldn't stand it then, can't stand it now. I've always hated dance crazes, but this one I loathed especially. My hatred of it was so high that at a school dance where I promised the song wouldn't be played, the DJ stabbed me in the back. I went ape and started punching all the students, boys and girls alike. I was 11 years old, it was 1996, and I was walking the razor's edge. It wasn't just the song...I felt that my world was crashing down around me that year and even the slightest things drove me crazy. I'm not like that anymore, but every time I think back to my young and raw days, I shudder in fear and ask myself "Was I REALLY like that?".

Sorry...Just took a detour there.

Back on-topic:

-They started using the word "hottie" in the 90s. That word drives me up the wall, too. I feel that whenever you use a word like that, you sound incredibly stupid. It doesn't matter if you're young or old...You just sound dumb. We're still using it to this day.

It's just so unisex and P.C...Whatever happened to calling women "babes" and men "hunks"? Even the final episode of VH1's "Retrosexual: The 80s" was called "Hotties". I don't think anybody was using that word in the 80s. I was only 7 when the decade ended, though, so perhaps some of our older members could enlighten me as to whether they did or not.

-Blatant sampling in rap music. I know that the Sugarhill Gang and Afrika Bambaata used samples, but they were more subtle. When you got into the 90s, it became much more obvious. I think Sean Combs is to blame for all this...The man doesn't have an original bone in his body.

-People who grew up in the 80s dancing to this samplejacked B.S. For Christs' sake, why couldn't Generation X stick with the original tunes? Why did and do they dance to songs about raping h**s and splacking n***as set to the backbeat of songs by the Doobie Brothers and Duran Duran?

Rap is so much different now. Back then, it was creative and innovative. Now it's just a bunch of shuck-and-jive crap.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Just remembered one of my favorite pieces of 90's fashion horror: Knee-high boots. Buffy wore them with panache, and I even have a pair of my own.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls walking around in platform everything (boots/trainers/shoes). Horrible horrible horrible - and ugly.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated everything about the 90's fashion...because there was none. There weren't any cool things memoribilia wise either...the thing I hated most about the 90's was Pokemon.

I also hated Tickle Me Elmo...I never get those stupid trends like that.

I have always hated Nascar racing too...and it seemed to make it bigger in the 90's. Bluck...that is about the most boring thing on the planet to sit and watch a car go around and around and around...and around....ick.

The coolest thing I liked was the Sega Genesis game system...with Sonic the Hedgehog...and I loved the Earthworm Jim games and Columns.

The other thing that I think became huge in the 90's was scented candles...everyone was having candle parties...and buying tart burners.

That's about all I can remember too...there wasn't one TV show I remember watching...and the only music I actually did like was the boy bands...like N'Sync and The Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees...I didn't LOVE them, but they were better than the other crap out there.

Was the band-aid thing something TLC was doing?

I absolutely hate those low rider jeans...I think they are the most unflattering thing to put on a woman's butt...they make their butts look twice as wide, and flat, and dumpy looking.

I also hate thongs...I think they are the nastiest things...bikini underwear...are 10 times more sexy...and they aren't nasty and gross.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
isis, i remember TLC having condoms taped on their clothes.

90s trends were around i am sure, but i don't think there was anything i actually liked about the 90s. i was still wearing vans and rock band shirts, which wasn't the style at all, at least not with girls. girls were into colored socks (as jessie said), along with teased/hairsprayed hair. speaking of hair, didn't the "rachel" hair-do, become 'thee haircut' for girls all over the place in the 90s?? i didn't like that haircut, sorry.
i remember a lot of guys that were into rap, wearing the wu-wear clothes.
i also remmeber being in highschool, when tagging crews started up. stooo-pid.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about condoms taped to clothes????? I must have missed out on that one.

Yeah the boy bands. Oh ISIS I am totally with you on the Pokemon on thing. I never never understood that fad.

Yeah the extremely low pants things too. Why would you want to walk around and keep pulling them up or rather not pulling them up?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
90's music seemed to go through some faddish phases. Of course there was grunge early on, but from 1992 to 1994, reggae was very popular on the charts here. Then from 1997 to 1999 there was a country phase here too.

Also -

Tamagotchi

Pokemon

Floppy hair

Cartoon ties

Waistcoats

Cargo pants

Unplugged

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are gonna hate me for this but I actually liked the baby doll dress paired with patent leather Mary Janes look.
(I guess cuz I was in my early 20s and that was the last time I would ever be able to pull off an outfit like that............EVER!)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I loved the school girl socks up to the knees, paired with maryjanes and a cute skirt. MOst of that fashion can be found in the movies Clueless(which I loved) The grunge look was boring, I mean flannels and jeans, every decade had that look.

Pokemon wasnt for us to understand. That was for the children folks. Just like they wouldn't understand our fascination with Pac-Man or Pong.

AS for Nascar getting popular, Good! I happen to love cars, fast cars! I enjoy watching the races on tv and in person. To each his own.

The boybands and bubble gum music got to be a little much for me. Glad rock music finished out strong, well that was until the late ninties. Then the rock rap stuff came out. Didn't like that stuff at all.

Chokers were really instyle as well. All the girls were waring chokers. I had a couple of velvet ones. I thought they were cool inexpensive jewelery.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The baggy pants like those mc hammer wore.
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
Heh heh, good times. [Big Grin]
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated the 90's. Well, I hated '92-99'. All the music and style I loved from the 80's was made fun of and was replaced by music and styles I really disliked. I liked hair bands and mainstream music like Phil Collins. Instead of that, I was force fed rap, country, and alternative music through radio and tv. The fashions were awful. I never understood why one would wear pants that were way too big. It was like the world became a planet of Vanilla Ice's.

Don't get me wrong. I know styles change and you don't want to look like you are dated. Although my year book from the late 80's had hundreds of mullets, I would not grow a mullet now. But I never liked the 90's. There was something dark and dull about it IMO.

PS
I never had a mullet. I did have long hair though back then [Wink]

[ 12. July 2005, 11:51: Message edited by: Brandon777 ]

Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the 90's had it's fair share of crap didn't it? behold - SOUTHPARK, POKEMON, THE SPICE GIRLS, TAMAGOTCHI, TELETUBBIES, HUGH GRANT Romantic Comedies, BATMAN & ROBIN... urgh! it makes my flesh crawl!
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two parts of ISIS post:
quote:
...I have always hated NASCAR racing too...and it seemed to make it bigger in the 90's. Bluck...that is about the most boring thing on the planet to sit and watch a car go around and around and around...and around....ick.
I'm not a car racing fan either, but I have to agree with ISIS on this one. If I were a fan of auto racing, I would be more interested in the Formula One races; their cars go around in a variety of obstacle courses.

NASCAR racers just go around in a counter-clockwise direction in a circular track. Boring!

Several years ago, I stumbled upon a funny anti-NASCAR website, that poked fun about racers who just go around and around in a circular track. But, unfortunately, the website is probably no more.

quote:
...I also hate thongs...I think they are the nastiest things...
They look good on me, though! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NASCAR's road courses have plenty of obstacles and go in different directions. Formula One cars arent even cars, they're like little buggies with motors.

I like NASCAR because there are alot of rules and most drivers win because of pure luck. I mean yor car has to be a certain length and weight, both which are measured before and after the race to assure that you haven't cheated.

The wrecks can be awesome and abit scary at times. If you wreck a formula 1 car, you can say bye bye to the rest of the race. At least in NASCAR you can tape something up and get back out there.

I think it's pretty fun.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't stand the early 90's, circa 90-91 when a bunch of the dance music all sounded the same, stuff like Snap's I got the Power, Technotronic's Pump up the Jam, C+C Music Factory's Everybody Dance now and the group that sang call him mr. radar, call him mr. wrong.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rip you are right about everything for music, especially dance music sounding the same. Remembering any kind of dance groups is definately not a forte of mine so I couldn't specifically name names of any. One group that I did like though was Real McCoy. They had an awesome CD that I used to listen to over and over again. I loved Automatic Lover!!
noblprz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 999

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for noblprz   Email noblprz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!"

I HATED THAT SAYING AND ANYONE WHO USED IT.

I have to say the 90's were not the best decade, but I do have to appreciate that Barenaked Ladies formed in the 90's, so that was positive, and at least we had a Democrat in the WH for most of the 90's, so there's that too.

Horrible trends were:
1. Any form of group/line/preprogrammed dance. I am not even a dancer, but this sucks.

2. "Quotation Fingers" this was total BS. "kill me now"

3. Will Smith............period.

4. Rap changing from Run DMC to P Diddy and the all gangster crap.

5. Anything related to the word "Thug"

6. Annoying girl rap groups

7. The death of comedy on TV. Replaced by millions of hour long dramas and schlock like "Everybody tolerates Raymond" (yes I know the Simpsons and Seinfeld were on in the 90's but still.)

8. Japanamation/Power Rangers. THE most idiotic shows that kids could watch (tamagochi, pokemon, all that crap)

9. TELETUBBIES! Oh My God. If this is what we want our children to learn, I say we start Euthanizing now before it is too late.

10. ELMO. Sesame Street used to be about lots of characters learning from each other. Now its the babytalk show with this red demigod in charge.

I could go on for about 200 years, but I'll stop now.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with everything here! I would also like to add my top ten:

1. Smilie faces on everything from clothes to Bandannas.

2. Bandannas

3. Bomber jackets - especially the quilted type.

4. Anything clothing in the shade of 'mustard'

5. Wearing clothes backwards - what the hell was that?

6. Bike pants

7. Chunky Peace symbol necklaces

8. Patterned stockings

9. Tent dresses (again)

10. Whatever those ugly shoes were called that were really chunky and had a huge buckle and looked like you had feet problems.

Okay they were mostly fashion but those are the things that make the most impression. I would also totally like to agree with rocksteadyflamethrower and wonder why we are still doing it:

People who grew up in the 80s dancing to this samplejacked B.S. For Christs' sake, why couldn't Generation X stick with the original tunes? Why did and do they dance to songs about raping h**s and splacking n***as set to the backbeat of songs by the Doobie Brothers and Duran Duran?

As for chokers, baby doll dresses and platform shoes - they are UGLY and do not EVER look good on anyone. You could be Giselle Bundchen and you would still look frumpy!

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
I disagree. I think it'll be a matter of time and when all those 90s fashions back, we'll all be wearing them!
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
Heh heh. Kat, that was such a Darth Vader moment. [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home