iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Spanglish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spanglish
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched it. Anyone else seen it? I know Lupa said she liked it. Me and my mom watched it together, and it was definately "watchable", but there were so many unanswered questions, and I hate when a movie does that. It kind of was about nothing...I am not even sure why this rich American family, needed to hire "Flor" as their cleaning lady or whatever she did, I actually never saw her ever do one ounce of work. The mother (Tei Leoni) she had no job, her mother lived with them, she was perfectly capable to do whatever...and both their children were old enough to do housework, and Adam Sandler's character rearranged his work and everything all the time, and even gave up part of his buisness to stay around his family...so I am totally clueless what they needed to hire "Flor" to do.

It was actually better than I thought it would be, it was another movie I felt was not previewed the right way, cause I was clueless when I saw previews for it..I didn't know what the movie was actually about.

I don't think I'd watch it again, but I didn't hate it, so I guess that counts for something.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definately did leave a lot of unanswered questions, like did Adam Sandler and his wife, Tea Leoni stay together?? What ever happened to Floor????? SP sorry!

It wasn't near like I thought it was going to be. I liked it but it isn't one that I would want to watch over and over again. I thought it would be much funnier and it was definately a loaded up drama. Not something I am used to for Adam Sandler, I prefer him in something like 50 First Dates.

I did like the little girl that played his daughter in the film, I did like that aspect of the film. I thought that was an important feature to show people today.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I really can't understand is why they needed her(Flor)?

The mother was obsessive compulsive about everything, she wanted a cute skinny daughter to show off to everyone...so she ignored her own, and tried to take over Flor's kid, which is basically what the movie turned in to.

I didn't want them to stay together...even though they had kids, I could not decide how that should have ended...maybe it ended the right way. But, the whole thing was so hard to follow...when they went and rented that house at the beach...I guess that was to get them(Flor and her daughter) to move in with them, but she really didn't do anything, all I ever saw was her straighten a few magazines, and she learned English finally after 6 years. I mean the daughter and Adam Sandler even did all the cooking, so I never understood Flor's real purpose, except she was company for them- that they paid $650 a week to do nothing. When they ended up leaving the beach house it's like they never said anything...and are back home again, and you never saw them pack up and go-it jumped around alot.

I liked that it felt more like today's family, but they were making more disfunction out of nothing really.

I actually was surprised at this role for Adam Sandler, it wasn't his normal role, but I actually liked him in it, it actually showed he can act.

Jessie, what did you think of the "love scene" with Tei Leoni and Adam Sandler...when she got all excited over the newspaper article?? That was totally bizarre. Don't you think?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd things drive people sometime and can be completely unexplainable. I think that those are one fo them!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really DISLIKED this film! I so just couldn't wait for it to be over!

The movie ran 130 minutes (two hours, ten minutes), which is WAYYYYY too long for a movie with such a thin premise.

Yes, it was unusual that Sandler was in this kind of role, and I liked his character. He did a good job in it.

And the performances of Paz Vega (as Flor) and Shelbie Bruce (as Flor's daughter, Cristina) were both outstanding.

I was turned off by Tea Leoni's character. Tea is a wonderful actress, but in my opinion, she overplayed the neurotic hyperventilating, hypertensive (and possibly bipolar) character a little too much.

Therefore, it is hard for me to understand how Adam Sandler's compassionate, loving character could be attracted to Tea's character to begin with and puts up with her behavior.

And the film's resolution for me is just not convincing nor believable to me.

I put most of the blame on the writer/director, James L. Brooks. He is actually a fine filmmaker, but as his DVD commentary on this movie pointed out, there were so many scenes that he liked so much, that he didn't want to leave anything out. The DVD Special Features quite a number of deleted scenes that Brooks reluctantly had to cut from the original theatrical release. Even so, the material is still too long.

And that is the problem that I have with some screenwriters who direct their own material: they fall too much in love with what they wrote, they just cannot think of shortening it or cutting it altogether. [Frown]

Boy, I never thought I'd see the day where I hated a particular movie, but ISIS kinda liked!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Steven...you goofball...I didn't like this movie...overall I said almost the exact things as you did.

I liked Paz Vega- cause I never saw her before...and I thought her daughter was great...and I did like Adam Sandler's character too....but I thought the exact same thing about Tea Leoni- I thought...cripes, dump her paranoid butt.

The one part I liked was when Paz Vega raced her back to the house...I was like..run..run...beat her sorry butt...but she didn't. Oh well...better luck next time.

But...I didn't know the exact time on it...but it did seem really long...and your right...is sure as heck didn't need to be. Just like...they didn't need a maid/whatever she was...I am still not sure...the kids were old enough that the Grandma could have taken care of them...the Grandma drove...cause Paz Vega didn't-she took the bus- and when they moved to the beach- the Grandma said she'd give her a ride.

The reason for them staying all summer over night with that family was really stupid too...all over the bus schedule...what do you need her at the beach for...every one of them was doing nothing but lounging at the beach...so why couldn't the totally physically fit mother do some house cleaning...the chef father do the cooking....and the live in Grandma..or even all of them watch the kids???

What did they need her for?? That's what makes the whole thing stupid.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home