iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » The 13th Warrior

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The 13th Warrior
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent, hugely underrated movie by John McTiernan, Antonio Banderas is great as an Arab ambassador exiled to Europe, and coerced into joining a band of Norsemen (Vikings) on an adventure.

'The 13th Warrior' is not just an action film in the traditional sense, but a well rounded, brilliantly acted adaptation of the book by Michael Crichton, the movie also features some beautiful cinematography and intense battle scenes.

One of my favourite scenes is when Antonio’s character; Ahmad Ibn Fadlan, learns the Viking language by listening (the transition from Norse speak to English is cleverly filmed). I’d defiantly recommend this movie to anyone who likes historical action adventure on an epic scale.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kash, the Rewind wingman! Where have you been lately? We've missed you.

I can't profess to having seen the movie, but it's good to know that you're still breathing!

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen this. We watch either this or Zorro when we need an Antonio fix. His response in the campfire scene creates rolls of laughter.

"I .... listened!"

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie. Particularly enjoy the final battle when Buliwyf comes out and does the

"Lo, there do I see my father"

speech in which the rest of the warriors, including Banderas join in before kicking some serious ***.

One of the first DVD's I purchased once I realised it was time to move on from VHS and still one of my favourites.

Good choice...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and before anyone completes the speech in order to obtain my crown of geekness, yes I do know it...it goes:

"Lo there do I see my father
Lo there do I see my mother, my sisters and my brothers
Lo they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live...
Forever"

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know some of you have seen this (John, did you get my message?)

I bet they'll be a Criterion Edition someday soon, for the DVD (any region) has no extras at all.

Just discovered that Ahmed Ibn Fadlan (Antonio's chracter) was actually a real person. In 921 C.E. the Caliph sent his emissary Ahmed Ibn Fadlan with an embassy to the Viking Kingdom in Middle Volga. Ahmed Ibn Fadlan documented his journey/adventures in an important historical text called the 'Risala'. Mike took that story and combined it with 'Beuwolf' to come up with the '13th Warrior'.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Looking forward to the Beowulf movie that is apparently on its way...

Noms [Cool]

raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember going to see this at a free screening back in 99 - not bad, the plot was straight outta the MAGNIFICENT SEVEN. I think the best thing about it was the Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack. the Michael Crichton book is a good read.
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have yet to see the whole movie, but I actually worked with a guy who played a bald warrior in the movie, he was a stuntman/actor that did bit parts in other movies.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home