iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Mid/late 90's songs with potential to fit in the 80's...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mid/late 90's songs with potential to fit in the 80's...
Fat
Master Rewinder
Member # 2334

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Fat   Email Fat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the title says. What are some mid/late 90's or even 2000+ songs that either have an 80's sound, or maybe they came out in the 90's and flopped because they should've come out in the 80's. Try to keep them mid 90's(93 on...) on(the later the better), because there's tons of early 90's stuff that sounds 80's.

In no particular order...

Mono - Life in mono (1998)
Description: Very deep, dark song, sad song. Wasn't a huge hit in the U.S., but it saw the radio a few times. Not sure if there was a video.

White Town - Your woman (1997)
Description: This has new wave written all over it. Anyone remember this song? The lead singer of this group is East Indian. This song had a video, pretty eccentric just like their sound was. While this song was a decent hit, I believe it came out 10 years too late.

Sunscreem - Pressure (1993, I know I'm pushing it on this one)
Description: This one is a dance track. I first heard it on the show "My So Called Life." This song played during one of their dances at the school. It definately has an 80's feel to it. The sound goes from dark/sad, to upbeat, to dark/sad.

If any of you haven't heard these tracks, and want to give them a listen, let me know.

I will add to my list as I think of more...

Posts: 180 | From: Nor. Cal 510 | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything freestyle or dance-oriented.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This song by Donna Lewis:

I Love You, always Forever

Feels like, I'm standing in a timeless dream
Of light mists, of pale amber rose
Feels like, I'm lost in a deep cloud of heavenly scent
Touching, discovering you

Those days, of warm rains come rushing back to me
Miles of windless, summer night air
Secret moments, shared in the heat of the afternoon
Out of the stillness, soft spoken words

Chorus:
I love you, always forever
Near and far, closer together
Everywhere, I will be with you
Everyday, I will devour you
I love you, always forever
Near and far, closer together
Everywhere, I will be with you
Everyday, I will devour you

You've got, the most unbelievable
blue eyes I've ever seen
You've got, me almost melt away
As we lay there, under a blue sky
with pure white stars
Exotic sweetness, a magical time

(Chorus)

Say you'll love, love me forever
Never stop, not for whatever
Near and far and always and
everywhere and everything

(Chorus)

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, I absolutely adore that song!

I would suggest also -

"To the moon and back" by Savage Garden
"Tubthumping" - Chumbawamba
"The impression that I get" - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
"Last thing on my mind" - Steps

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Stitchgroover's list:
quote:
"Tubthumping" - Chumbawamba
This might suprise a few people here, but Chumbawamba *IS* an 80's band! They were formed in the Leeds, UK area sometime around 1984. They were part of what was called at the time, the "Agit-Pop" movement. They had some minor (but controversial) hit singles in the 80's, and resurfaced every few years or so.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat
Master Rewinder
Member # 2334

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Fat   Email Fat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm...of course if you add Donna Lewis...no way you can leave off:

The Cranberries - Dreams

very similar tracks...

Posts: 180 | From: Nor. Cal 510 | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Cranberries- "Linger"..that is a good song.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Book Of Days" by Enya (otherwise known as the theme to the movie "Far And Away").

This would've been a great fit on 80s adult contemporary radio.

I'd also have to add "The House Of Stone And Light" by Martin Page and "Crush" by Jennifer Paige. They both have a mellow 80s sound.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fett, I was going to write almost the exact same description for White Town when I saw this thread, absolute CLASSIC!!! You're right it's so New Wave it's uncanny...

Isis too is a very good choice, can imagine that as the end theme to numerous 80s teen romance flicks, beautiful beautiful song.

I'll add a few more:

Dubstar - 'Not So Manic Now' and 'Stars' (downbeat synthpop sound made these stand out)
Enya - 'Anywhere Is' (practically Orinoco Flow Pt II)

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat
Master Rewinder
Member # 2334

Member Rated:
Hordak, it's a very good forgotten song. It's one of those songs people don't remember by name or by description, but when they hear it they remember. Somehow Whitetown slips through the cracks and never makes those "One hit wonder" countdowns.
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
Oh, I forgot:

"You Get What You Give" by New Radicals

If Joe Jackson were a little more brash and young, this would probably be a song of his.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought of another;

Human League - 'Tell Me When' (could've been one of their early songs, luv it! :-)

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
I have another one:

"Sunny Came Home" by Shawn Colvin. This song sounds like a folk-rock version of a Depeche Mode tune. I listened to the song in the late 90s and thought it was just a good mid-tempo song. I listen to the lyrics in 2005 and it sounds like a song about a woman who is ready to commit acts of violence against those who wronged her. In an oblique way, it reminds me of Depeche Mode's "Blasphemous Rumours".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could imagine Outkast's "Hey Ya" song being released in the late 80's. [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
BUMP...

I think that Des'ree's "You Gotta Be" could've been performed by Anita Baker in the mid-80s. They both have a quality to their voice that says "I'm still here!".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
Part of John/Rocksteadyflamethrower's post:
quote:
...I'd also have to add "The House Of Stone And Light" by Martin Page...
When I first heard that song, I thought it was a new song by Sting! [Smile]
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, didn't Donna Lewis do a cover of the Pet Shop Boys Being Boring? I could have sworn that she did that one when I saw her do a live performance at Muchmusic. As for Chumbawumba Stephen, they were some 80's anarchist punk band who followed around Crass back then. I also heard a story that they dumped ketchup or something on the Clash in the mid 80's when they were performing on a busking tour during their sad post-Mick Jones, Topper Headon final album Cut the Crap phase. I guess the Wummbas thought they had sold out or something. Funny, looks now they were hypocritical by releasing Tubthumphing years later.

As for 90's songs that had 80's appeal, I always thought that the group Aqua had some sort of tackiness to it. Barbie girl would have fit in the decade somehow, next to Stacey Q's Two of Hearts. Samshing Punmpkins 1979 had soet of a New Order/Joy Divisioin feel to it with the guitars. Jurassic 5's Quality Control has a definite old school hip-hop vibe, especially since there were five MC's rapping on the song, something of a throwback to Granndmaster Flash and the Furious Five or Cold Crush Brothers. Agree very much about the White Town song, sounds like some demented Taco/Talk Talk collaboration.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home