iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Closer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Closer
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the previews for this movie with Julia Roberts. It comes out on Tuesday on DVD.

Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will probably see it eventually...from my comrades in independent movie-going, I heard 'good but intense'...which is always okay by me. Another friend who sees alot of movies said it was too much for him...he likes things on the lighter side, so relationship woes that don't necessarily end happily don't work for a guy whose favorite movie is "Moonstruck."
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it, loved it, sad, and will definately be buying it.

It is an absolute must see for all of you romantics out there. Be prepared because there is some vulgar scenarios. I never thought I would hear some of the stuff come out of Julia Roberts mouth.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen it, so I can't say anything about it myself.

But judging from Isis' previous opinions...I'm predicting she is going hate "Closer", and will say something like "...I couldn't even finish watching it".

[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...Julia Roberts says the f-word in just about every movie she has ever done, it seems to be her trade mark word, along with having to laugh hysterically at something that isn't even funny.

I know it is about an affair.

So was Unfaithful, and I actually thought that was a good movie- the first time I saw it , it was edited, and the second time....whoa! Rough stuff, but I could handle it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, I think I know your personality pretty well and I don't think this is a movie for you. It's alot to handle in some scenes. I did like the movie but there were moments in it that I felt exhausted. It has a bit of a draining effect. Now, that being said, the acting was outstanding. It was nice to see Julia play a part where she isn't all sweet and perfect. I enjoyed when she verbally blasted her husband and said all those foul things. Awesome, totally awesome!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy "Draining Effect" is a perfect way to describe how you can feel when you are watching it. But I still plan on buying it. I think that the acting is phenomenal in this. I certainly have a new appreciation for Clive Owen. Ever since Cold Mountain I have had one for Jude Law too.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it helps Isis, I really enjoyed this movie...

There I had a positive thing to say which will probably help you decide whether you want to see it or not...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well....yep that sure did it.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And who says I cannot help you out when asked. Honestly, I don't know where people get this image of me... [Big Grin]

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Why is it called "Closer"??

I thought maybe it was about an affair, and it brought the people closer to each other when they realized that they cared about each other, when maybe they had taken each other for granted in the past.

But I have no clue anything about what it is about, I don't know which charcater has the affair or if they all do, or anything.

Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally i find you have to be in the mood for a ''draining'' kinda movie. I still havent seen BOYS DONT CRY and really want to 'cos apparently Hilary Swanks performance is excellent.But i know its a bleak film and so far i just havent been in that frame of mind to watch it.
Lifes bleak enough for me right now haha.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Closer.....it's a drama and very draining...but it isn't played out as anything else??? The performances make the movie. The lovely Natalie Portman...doesn't dissapoint. Her ability to carry the film is much like The Professional. Clive Owen was great! I'm so not a Julia fan but it was such a different role for her that it was perfect.

I loved the use of Damien Rice's "Blower's Daughter" in the movie. The song is beautiful. I'm also not picking on Miss Isis but I don't think you'll like this one sorry. [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally like feeling drained by 'reel life'...it makes one understand & appreciate real life that much more.

I enjoyed Clive Owen so much in "The Croupier" so I will definitely eventually catch "Closer."

There are times I just want something silly & whimsical...other times I want something heavier that makes me think or encourages me to do research about the subject. For example, both "The Magdalene Sisters" and "Rabbit Proof Fence" inspired me to find out about catholic laundry orphanages and aboriginal work farms...wow...I simply had no idea these things existed and I was drawn to read the compelling personal accounts of survivors...thus appreciating my idyllic working class suburban childhood.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was rather disgusted/intrigued [Wink] to hear that Natalie Portman gets her kit off in this movie, not because I’m a puritan, gay or wannabe censor, but only because ‘Leon’ doesn’t seem like that long ago (OK, I know its been over 10 years) and because last time I saw her was in the Star Wars movies as squeaky clean queen Amidala (maybe Anakin saw ‘Closer’ and lost it just in time for his ‘Episode III’ transition to the dark side: “That’s my wife Goddamnit!” [Wink] And didn’t Nat always swear she’d never do nudity? Never mind.

‘Closer’ looked like an excellent film and a good move on Jude Law's part (after the mildly amusing ‘Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow’ and ‘Alfie’ remake), like Julia, Natalie and Clive Owen (Clive’s a cool actor who I remember from 80s TV series ‘Chancer’ and I’m glad he’s finally made it in films, just seems to have a perpetually smug expression on his face though, should be perfect for ‘Sin City’).

I really want to see this film as it seems like a thought provoking and entertaining adaptation of the London play.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
My mom wanted to watch this movie, so I decided to give it a shot. I kept waiting and waiting for something major to happen. I thought what a bunch of annoying people...I mean I didn't care for any of them, they all were total sleazes.

The thing that drove me crazy about it was it jumped around.. first it would be 4 months down the road, then they would go back to a year ago, then it would be 3 months later, then they would go back and forth. I thought every one of them were completely untrustworty, and they all deserved each other, and you couldn't be happy for anybody who ended up with anyone, cause everyone was clueless as to who and what they wanted.

Yeah the language was kind of raw..but I was thinking the movie had a bunch of sex scenes in it...there was not one sex scene in it...there was alot of talking about it...but you never saw anybody doing anything, barely even kissing. If they took out the language it could almost have been PG.

I never liked the guy Julia Roberts married from day one- he was a pervert. I kept thinking something major was going to happen, and I kept thinking somebody's going to be murdered , someone's going to kill themselves...it just had that feel to it, and then nothing.

Natalie Portman never actually was ever nude in this movie, she had a thong thing on, but she was never nude, so she sort of can say still she has never done a nude scene.

I thought it was boring. It was draining cause it drug on forever, and never went anywhere.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home