iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Movie of the Day--Bram Stoker's Dracula

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Bram Stoker's Dracula
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been watching this about every time it is on tv lately. I have to say that I saw it when it camne out at the movies and then didn't really care much for it until recently.

In my opinion Gary Oldham was an absolute genius in this role. I could not imagine anyone else doing as good as job as he did. Not a big fan of Winona Ryder either, but this is probablly her best role to date. Definately not a big fan of Keanu either, except for Speed. I think that Gary should have been at least nominated that year, I believe that the award went to Al Pacino that year for Scent of a Woman.

I am currently watching it now and I am in awe of all of the shadows that they dealt with in the film. Dracula and Jonathon Harker are standing there about 20 minutes into the flick and Dracula catches Mina's picture. The shadow reaches out to strangle Jonathon. My son just said, boy that guy has funny hair, had to laugh at that one because he does.

Anyway what do you all think about this film from 1992? Do you have any favorite scenes from it? Did you love it or hate it? Tell us...

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do really like this version of Dracula.
As you said the shadows and the imagery in general is stunning.Keanu's bad english accent is a bit 'oh dear' but apart from that most of the cast are great,especially an over the top Sir Anthony Hopkins (god bless ya sir).
What does grate on me a little is the overlying love story theme of the film.
I know that Francis Ford Coppolla was trying to gel the myth of the book with the legend of the real Vlad the Impaler with this film,but the majority of the movie is based on the book with only the very begining before the title sequence concentrating on the legend of Vlad.
Now im no expert on Vlad,but the novel of Dracula is my 2nd fave book of all time and no matter how many times I read it,I do not find a love story on the level depicted in the movie.
Maybe it sounds like im picking too much,but you did ask. [Big Grin]
But i will still say its a great movie.

''children of the night...... SHUT UP''
Film qout for ya there!!!
But from which vampire movie??

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing about this movie was the Annie Lennox track at the end...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my god dude...
That is the worst thing about this movie.
The whole soundtrack score throughout the movie was atmospheric,whilst maintaining an almost Hammer House Of Horror feel for horror movie scores.
The Annie Lennox song at the end turned it from Bram Stokers Dracula,to Mills and Boons Dracula.
Pure pants song.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HATED IT.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home