iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Pirates of the Caribbean vs. CutThroat Island

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean vs. CutThroat Island
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just bought CutThroat Island and watched it for the first time . . . and I couldn't believe how similar it was to Pirates of the Caribbean, from the monkey to the way characters look at the camera. There was just too many similarities for it to be a coincidence. But I was mostly surprised that it was actually . . . well, good.

I'm fond of both movies myself, but what are your thoughts? Did you think one was better than the other?

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked them both, but I favor Caribbean more. I liked the whole curse plot and the living dead pirates.

I liked Cutthroat Island a lot too. Until Caribbean it was my favorite pirate movie. They both had a lot of humor in them.

I can't wait for the new Caribbean movie next year. I think I read that the official title of it it Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Or something like that. I read it has a heavy cannibalistic theme that is stirring up quite some controversy by the locals where they are filming.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lupa....did you know that Pirates of the Caribbean was written by our very own Little Monsters writers, Rossio & Elliot?
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bionic- Cannibalistic, eh? Sounds like quite a movie coming up.

Eddie- Lordy lou, I didn't! That's awesome. Thanks for the info!

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POTC wins hands down for me. I was never a fan of Cutthroat Island.

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cutthroat Island was certainly better than it's box office and reviews lead people to believe. It's not necessarily better than Pirates, but it's a good contender.

I loved the Monkey!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really a fan of either to be honest, but ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ has to win, only because, well…it wasn’t bollocks like ‘Cutthroat Island’ (good actors, top director: still a bad film, it happens that way sometimes, no ones fault really).

Also ‘…Caribbean’ had the added bonus of the gorgeous Keira Knightly and a barking mad turn from Depp (the fact that he gets an Oscar nomination for that, and not for ‘Donnie Brasco’, ‘Fear And Loathing…’ ‘The Brave’ and others is proof positive that the Academy have no absolutely idea what they’re doing half the time)

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home