iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Movie of the Day--Armageddon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Armageddon
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well let's just say that I love this movie. The humor, the drama, the love story, and the action! What a great combination when it can be effectively pulled off. Starring Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck (this actually made him a hearththrob), Liv Tyler, Steve Buscemi, Michael Clarke Duncan, Billy Bob Thornton,Owen Wilson and many more.

A group of oil drillers must race against the clock for NASA and get into space and destroy a huge meteor before it crashes into the earth and kills everything.

What are your fond memories of this action classic?

My fav scenes are when Ben and Liv's characters are spending there last night together before the launch and he is playing animal crackers on her tummy. So sweet!

I also love it when they tell all of the oil drillers what they expect them to do for them and then they come back with their list of demands. Absolutely priceless--none of them wants to pay taxes again...ever!!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reviving and old one here, anyone care to comment on it yet?
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Okay now enough time has gone by on this one. Do we have any takers yet???????

Even if you just hated it to death, why??

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it except for Bennifer Affleck. The dude is just talentless in my opinion. Everyone else (Billy Bob, Bruce Willis, etc...) did a great job. Overall a great movie...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt NASA would ever consciousciously try something of this nature in a real emergency (why seriously endanger human life when all you really need to do is detonate a major warhead just above the asteroid, the shockwave of which should push it just enough off course?), but in the strange logical world that is Hollywood, it works well enough to entertain. Funny how we always seem to come up with the brilliant ideas, even though European and Oriental space agencies are no doubt working on the same crises. Still, choosing to self-sacrifice to save the entire planet should never be considered cliched (although something in my gut tells me Bruce somehow survived the meg-blast and is floating up there somewhere waiting for someone to pull him in...).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie, sometimes goes way over the top (but its Bay & Bruckheimer so whadda expect?).

Stunning effects and amusing one-liners; I
thought Ben Affleck did quite well here (very convincing in the last scene between him and Bruce on the Asteroid). This is probably one of the few big-action movies from the Bruckheimer stable that garnered a fair bit of critical acclaim, so much so, that 'Criterion' (usually high-brow film buff DVD distributors) released a collector’s edition (which was much better than the theatrical version; as Bay extends some scenes and cut out Bruce’s ridiculous, unintentionally hilarious God bless America speech whilst clutching old glory on the Asteroid).

In the battle of the late 90s asteroid movies (‘Armageddon’ and ‘Deep Impact’) this emerged as the undisputed victor (though ‘Deep Impact’ had a rather surprising ending, along with some fine performances from a heavyweight cast). Good title track by Aerosmith too.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laugh all you want...I like this movie. Corny yes, but action packed and fun. I wanted one of those Mission Patches when I was kid.

Steve Buscemi was hilarious....wait I remember this one! This is one where the coyote sat his tassh in a slingshot then strapped himself to an ACME rocket. Is that what we're doing here?

No really, cos it didn't work out too well for the Coyote!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home