iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » How many of you liked "Elf"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of you liked "Elf"?
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Since there's no "2K Rewind", so I'll post it up here!)

Yesterday, I just rented out the movie "Elf" (2003), starring Will Ferrell, Bob Newhart, James Caan, Mary Steenburgen, Zooey Deschanel, and Ed Asner (as Santa). I thought it was great! I usually avoid sugary-coated Xmas movies, but I really enjoyed this one.

Did any one of you enjoyed it as I did? [Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomtrooper
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3615

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Doomtrooper   Email Doomtrooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I am so glad you brought this one up. Great choice, Steven. I watched it only a week ago, and it is now my second favorite Christmas movie of all time (right behind a made-for-tv movie starring Tim Meadows, called "Three Days"). I laughed so hard when he ate the fruit spray, his reaction was so hysterical. Did you know that the kid from A Christmas Story is in Elf? (check out the 80's rewind board under "Peter Billingsley in Elf!) I love it when he answers the phone "Buddy the elf, what's yer favourite color?!" It's a wicked good one!

Doomy

Posts: 55 | From: Ice Tundra, Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i loved it. it was cute, silly, and just what i needed this past christmas. i really was glad to see zooey deschanel in this one. she is a terrific actress who i have grown to like from the last few movies i've seen her in.
good holiday flick!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved the movie. [Big Grin] It was a wonderful comedy and a heart-warming Christmas tale (Although, why was Santa always so on edge? The Central Park Rangers omniscent or something?).

"Tomorrow, ten AM, Santa's comin' to town."
"OH MY GOD! SANTA! I know him! I know him!"

"Have you seen these toilets? They're ginormous!"

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obscurus Lupa asked:
quote:
(Although, why was Santa always so on edge? The Central Park Rangers omniscent or something?)...
As Santa said (not the exact words, but you get the gist) in the movie, "I once put them on my 'Naughty List' years ago, and they have never forgiven me since!"
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I got that part--But didn't it always seem like he was trying to give advice, or being altogether not completely holly jolly?

What I was hinting was, was he just paranoid about the Rangers, or what there a reason for being all edgy?

I'm just a dork.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
I can only guess that perhaps Santa is a bit more skeptical that you are accustomed to! [Smile]

Also, it seemed that the year the movie takes place, Santa has been beset with more problems that he would've liked! (i.e., a lack of Xmas spirit, the sleigh depends on the turbine engine that falls off, an elf that is really a human, etc.)

I still have the rented video, and I will listen to director's Jon Favreau's and Will Ferrell's commentary to see if they mention it during the movie.

Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
I doubt anyone noticed it but me, but it was still funny. [Big Grin] A good take on Santa.

Five bucks says Will Ferrell doesn't lose his comedy shtick even in the commentary.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
Well, Lupa, after having listened to Jon Favreau's commentary on the DVD, he wanted Ed Asner to play Santa as more of a world-weary, slightly skeptical, street-smart, well-traveled authority figure, and not the usual stereotyped benevolent "holly jolly" type that you'd see in a department-store Santa or in a TV special.

It's an interesting approach to play him, and since Asner has played lots of "world-weary" street-smart, irascible, curmudgeonly types on TV --- especially the "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", "The Bronx Zoo", and "Lou Grant" --- I guess he was the best choice of actor for that particular kind of Santa.

Perhaps the best example of what I'm talking about is the scene where Santa gives Buddy (Will Ferrell) some sage advice before he goes to New York. Santa says that he has visited New York "a thousand times". Then he says to Buddy that "If you see gum on the sidewalk, leave it there; it's not for you. And there are several Ray's Original Pizza places, but the REAL one is on 11th Street. And if you see a sign that says 'Peep Show', [Buddy's eyes lights up at the phrase] it doesn't mean they're going to let you open presents before Christmas!" [Smile]

Do you really think another Santa on TV or stores or in a movie that you have seen would give out that kind of worldly advice? I doubt it! And that's what makes Ed Asner's Santa so special, because he takes a very human-like approach to the character, especially when you consider Buddy is really a human and not an elf!

[Cool]

[ 01. January 2005, 03:56: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
Like I said, a good take on Santa. [Wink]

It was unique, I'll give 'em that. I'm just glad there was an explanation why. [Big Grin] Thanks for the info, Steven!

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just rented Elf, cause of everyone saying they liked it on here, a few other people (in the real world) told me it was ok, a few said they hated it.

Sorry to say, we couldn't even get through it. My whole family for once agreed on a movie, and they hated this movie, and just now told me to shut it off when he was calling the Dad on the phone to tell him the radiator was making noise, and then he poured maple syrup all over some spaghetti and then crumbled up pop tarts on top of a big mess.

I couldn't take it when he was eating cotton balls at the doctor's office-that was so dumb-Elves don't eat cottonballs. The previews of this movie actually looked really funny, and I was really trying to think I might like it, but nothing I had seen so far even made me laugh at all, and even my son said he didn't like it.

Everyone is mad at me for making them watch this movie.

The acting was terrible too. There are things about it that had the potential to be really funny too, because I actually like Wil Farrell-but his acting in Elf is so bad.

Anyway, that's my opinion about Elf. I am sure everyone that has liked it, won't know where I am coming from, but I had to mention I attempted to watch another new movie.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
[Big Grin] I thought it was funny. The ending? Very Christmas special-y.

Ah well. It's a new year, maybe it'll have better luck with movies--assuming they aren't all remakes or based off of books.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry Lupa, I knew you liked it, we couldn't make it to the ending, we are getting ready to take it back, my family seems to want it out of our house as soon as possible.

I really did think I would maybe like it, but I can't name one thing about it that I liked, because none of it made sense. It's like they were mean to him at the North Pole cause he couldn't make toys fast enough or good enough, and yet he was able to create an entire amazing Xmas display out of legos and paper chains at Gimbel's, it just didn't add up right, the way they were doing the story line.

[Frown]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
I could take the time to explain the logic of it (He's super fast at building things, but not quite up to making 1,000+ Etch-a-Sketches in one day like the elves, y'know?), but remember, you're talking about a movie about a human raised by elves and going to New York City to find his dad, who happens to be on the naughty list. [Wink] It's a comedy. But don't apologize. You can criticize what you like! You don't have to like the same movies as me.

I did find it funny when he was hitting kids with snowballs and knocking them over painfully, though. [Big Grin] That last kid gave this sad cry as he went down.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
Oh, Isis, you're such a spoil-sport!

Maybe you *DO* need to see Bad Santa after all, so you can really appreciate Elf! [Smile]

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Buddy The Elf, what's your favourite colour?"

"I'm singing, I'm in a store and I'm SINGING!!"

"I know him. I know him"

"You sit upon a throne of lies"

"If you're really santa, what did i sing you on your last birthday?
"Happy Birtday"

"Call me an elf one more time"
"You're an elf"

"Wait I forgot to give you a hug"

Class!

Anyone who failed to find this funny really does have no sense of humour...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
The best way to spread Christmas cheer is to sing loud for all to hear. [Smile]
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Passion fruit spray?"
"Fruit spray??? Sure!"
"Eeeuuaarrraaaeeeuuuurrggghhh!!!!!"

SOOOOOO Funny I still laugh just thinking about it...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomtrooper
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3615

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Doomtrooper   Email Doomtrooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nomisdrol:
"Passion fruit spray?"
"Fruit spray??? Sure!"
"Eeeuuaarrraaaeeeuuuurrggghhh!!!!!"

SOOOOOO Funny I still laugh just thinking about it...

Noms [Cool]

Ooooh, that was my favorite part! I was laughin' so hard I coulda peed my pants... but I didn't.

Doomy

Posts: 55 | From: Ice Tundra, Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home