iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Alexander Payne

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alexander Payne
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone into his stuff...I can't wait to see "Sideways" in a few weeks.

Intelligent quirky film-making.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Like his stuff. Strangely, I was less impressed with 'About Schmidt' than everyone else seemed to be (still liked it though).

I'm really looking forward to Sideways coming out over here!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I really loved Election with Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick. I love Thomas Hayden Church and I heard he is really awesome in Sideways, I am looking forward to seeing it also. I wonder if it is set in Nebraska like Election and About Schmidt were????
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Sideways is set in the wine country of CA...these 2 semi-middle aged guys go off in search of 'the meaning of life'...something like the Schmidt storyline but I'm guessing less depressing.

People I know who are closer to retirement age thought Schmidt was depressing...I actually enjoyed it much more and thought the ending had a positive vibe.

I love Paul Giamatti [Private Parts, Man in the Moon, American Splendor], so I'm really looking forward to Sideways.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of HipsterMom's post:
quote:
...People I know who are closer to retirement age thought "About Schmidt" was depressing...I actually enjoyed it much more and thought the ending had a positive vibe...
I loved "About Schmidt", but my own parents (who are retired) were not impressed. They said they had already seen too many Japanese movies that deal with old age, and it was depressing for them. In a way, I could see their point, though.

But my own take is that I was impressed that any American movie could take on the themes of old age and retirement, which most movie studios tend to avoid. I think "About Schmidt" would probably have never gotten made if it weren't for a superstar like Jack Nicholson agreeing to play the title role.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home