iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Rocky Horror Picture Show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rocky Horror Picture Show
PurpleRainer
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1627

- posted      Profile for PurpleRainer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your opinion of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show?" I think it's a little weird, but very funny. (I don't understand the song at the beginning.) Thanks for the input.
Posts: 13 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never seen it, I have seen a billion clips of it, but it always looked really way out there, and too bizarre for me, I don't think I'd like it at all. I always thought the idea of going to a movie and reinacting the movie scenes would be awesome, but I never thought that would be the movie to do it to.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
truly bizarre.

but when i first was watching it, i remember thinking how far out the movie was, that it kept my interest. i wanted to see what in the world was going to happen next. the songs were fun and the costumes were great. i really like tim curry as an actor and i think he did a great job for playing such an odd role. he is good that though. from beginning to end, that movie was trippy. but it's a cult classic. my mother says her friends used to go the shows, and dress up like the characters from the movie and do the dances they do too. that must have been fun, back then. what is rocky horror considered?? a comedy? musical?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PurpleRainer
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1627

- posted      Profile for PurpleRainer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's hard to tell the genre. It's a comedy, a musical, and a sci-fi all rolled into one. Maybe they should put certain movies into in category...there's a dramedy, comedy-sci-fi-musical. Not many of those around. [Smile]
Posts: 13 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit
Master Rewinder
Member # 1904

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Email Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wicked film, Tim Curry is excellent as a sweet transvestite... and i love dancing along to 'time warp' when im pis*ed!!! [Wink]
Posts: 317 | From: South East London England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the movie when it first came out in 1975. To say it was bizarre was an understatement!
[Eek!]

Back then, it was shown on "normal" times: the usual matinee and evening hours. It didn't become a "midnight movie" cult until three years later. But there were hardly any such "midnight movie" shows in those days.

I saw it again in 1978, and by that time, it had already achieved "midnight movie cult" status.

The reason why it is the "cult" favorite is because "Rocky Horror" is so unusual. There is no other movie quite like it, not even close!

Then in 1980, the movie "Fame" came out, and it was the first reference to the impact of "Rocky Horror"'s place in pop culture history.

Ronnie on this thread wanted to know what the genre is. I would say it would have to be first classified as a musical, because "Rocky Horror" was originally a London stage musical from the early 70's.

I don't know if Isis would like it, but it's way better to see it in an actual theatre than showing it on home video! Watching it on TV just isn't the same.

An interesting sidelight in all this was the cast. Tim Curry stole the show as Frank-n-Furter, and this movie made his career. I don't think you would've heard of him if it wasn't for this film. This film also gave Meat Loaf a second career in films, and he would later have a somewhat decent acting career. Fortunately, this film did not do any long-term damage to the future successful careers of Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick.

I have not seen the sequel "Shock Treatment" (1981), but from what I read about it, it tried to duplicate the craziness of the first one, but I guess you can't capture lightning in a bottle twice!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home