iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched the weirdest film. This movie is three hours of a woman doing everyday things like chord and shopping. Very boring. Then at the end she murders somebody. The point is to show that a stereotypical woman's stay at home life is wrong and drives women insane. It was rated the 19th best film of the 20th century on some list. Does anyone else know this movie or have an opinion?
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen the movie myself, but i know it's highly regarded among fans of arthouse cinema.
Plus, there's a Criterion blu-ray edition forthcoming, so that's saying something !

The lead character Jeannie Dielman is played by Delphine Seyrig, who also starred as the Countess Báthory
in Harry Kümel's horror classic Daughters Of Darkness (1971). She sadly passed away in 1990, aged 58.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago, I watched Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles in it's entirety. I found myself liking the film right away. And, I found the movie anything but boring. Though the main character did many mundane tasks over several days (cooking, cleaning, shopping, talking to her son, briefly taking care of a neighbor's baby, etc.), for some reason it was very compelling - and, I never longed for the movie to be over (which I do with numerous other films I watch). Truly superb & sublime movie, and is yet another example of why the '70's was the best decade for film, hands down.

Several points:

-The main character's days of monotony were broken up by her regular prostitution, which apparently was her only source of income. Her reasons for doing seemed to be because after her husband died, she had no way to support herself, so was forced into this - despite not wanting to.

- There were flashing light/lights that were constantly seen in the main room of the woman's apartment in the evening, presumably going on all night. However, we never actually saw where the source of the light was coming from.

- The apartment was so small that it seemed to have only had one bedroom (the woman's). I.e., her son had to sleep on a bed that was folded out from a couch/chair each night, after moving the dinner table to the side.

SPOILER:

Re: the ending, my impression was that the woman was filled with self-loathing due to having to prostitute herself for so long - so she took this out on her "john" by killing him.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morpheus657
Rewind Curious
Member # 37619

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for morpheus657   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds a bit like art schools accepting any kind of 'art' so there won't be another world war [Big Grin]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2020 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home