iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Little House on the Prairie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Little House on the Prairie
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got the whole 1st season on DVD for Xmas. I have watched the first 3 discs. I had forgotten how totally great the show was, I remember loving it. But, I don't think I ever saw every episode, and you couldn't just pop a tape in and record them when it first came out. But, I look at that show, and every episode is a tear jerker, and man could those kids act in that show. The whole family just seemed like they were real, you know like Caroline and Charles,seem to be really married, that is what I think is good acting. Those kids could bawl and it was so believable. Nellie was such a great actress, cause you absolutely hated her and her mom-Mrs. Olsen. It is such a shame that they aren't around anymore. Boo hoo. My son is loving it, we just watched an episode where they had a pet Raccoon, and I was telling him about the raccoons we had as pets, but we released back to the wild, when they were old enough, and he thought that was so cool. But, what a story, they think Laura is gonna die from rabies, cause she gets bit...it had no violence-like people getting their head shot off, no sleaziness to it, and yet you are captivated by the story line.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've said it before and I'll say it again, one of the best TV shows of all time...ever, persoanl favs are the one with the drought and the one where the Ingles adopt.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are all so excellent, I have bawled on every one of them so far....when the mom buys the material for a dress, and she makes Mary and Laura 2 out of it, and they wear them to do a speech, and Laura does her speech about her mom! Boo hoo, then I just watched another one where Mary wanted to win a dictionary on an exam and caught the barn on fire, and her mom was so scared, and yelled at her, and Mary worked to buy a new book for the teacher, and studied to take the exam, but her mom forbid her to, so she didn't do it, and could have won, that was so great. I mean the storylines they came up with, were simple, but they were life, and they were so touching. That is what is missing on tv.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
We just finished watching the second Season of Little House on the Prairie. It is so excellent. I can't believe how well done it is. When I watched it as a kid, I liked it, but now I love it. My son LOVES it. We just ordered the 3rd season, and preordered season 4, and we ordered 2 Little House movies. My son loves Charles Ingalls in the show, and I knew Michael Landon died a few years ago, but I was shocked when I looked him up-he died in 1991..That's 13 years already. We wondered what happened to Victor French ( Mr. Edwards), and I was sad to see he died in 1989. He was born in 1934, and was 55 when he died of Cancer, and Michael was born in 1936 and he was 55 when he died of cancer. Victor French died right after they stopped filming Highway to Heaven. That is very sad. They were both such great directors. It is amazing to me the quality of the storylines and subjects they dealt with, and how well acted it was. They will never make a better show ever.
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came here form the Marilyn Mansun thread… [Wink] glad you enjoyed the series so much again Isis, I was going to buy a box set the other day, but then I thought: I like all the episodes so I’ll have to get both sets, and the fact that they show it a lot on TV kinda stopped me from getting it. Michael Landon was a top actor; in fact everyone on that show was excellent, they were well cast and I only hope they start re-running it in order on TV again.

And as for the last episode, [Eek!] I only saw it a few years back and boy was it revolutionary in its sentiments: I mean the citizens of Walnut Grove would rather level the whole town than relinquish it to corporate America…that is ‘out there’ revolutionary 70s spirit, and it was that kind of community closeness and the now all but absent sense of decency that made ‘Little House’ such a winner of a show.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best episode ever was the one where Alberts girlfriend got raped by the guy in the mask and she dies at the end. Man I'll never forget that one.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
My gosh..I am glad you said about that episode, that will be down the road yet, from where we are. I totally remember that episode too, it was so sad. I don't know how they approached that subject back then. I am glad you reminded me, because that would be a little too deep yet for my son. We just got Season 3 today, and Season 4 will be coming. I just love it. I love the ones when they are kids the best, but every episode was just so well done.
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Little House" books are among my favorites...I read them every few years in sequence. I must have felt a kindred spirit with Laura, because as it turns out we have the same birthday, Feb. 7.

As a purist when it comes to books, I'm always a little wary when something is turned into a movie or series. I watched the first few seasons of LHOTP faithfully and they did a good job capturing the incredible spirit of the Ingalls family.

I thought it got a little far-fetched in subsequent seasons, but that's because I love the books so much and know exactly what happened to the Ingalls Family. Sometimes too much knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never saw the one where Albert does drugs, but thats another one of my Sisters favorites. I think he steals morphine or something from the Doctor and he's throwing up and making himself sick...thats supposed to be a real good one. Gee, they gave all the good storylines to Albert!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I just found a piece of Little House trivia out last night. Melissa Gilbert was adopted in real life, I knew her 1 sister was Sara Gilbert from Roseanne, but what I didn't know, that blew me away was that the kid that played Willie Olsen was her real life brother.
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Willie and Laura were brother and sister in real life.

Also did you know that Albert Ingalls and Andrew Garvey are real life brothers?

This show is a guilty pleasure of both one of my friends and I, and one night when we both probably had too much to drink in a bar we were reciting Little House episodes loud enough for everyone to hear and having the bar rolling with laughter.

Then a couple months later one of our friends and his wife went through the real life town of Walnut Grove, Minnesota and picked up all kinds of pamphlets for me and my friend.

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Who was Andrew Garvey?? Mary's husband???

I always thought Almanzo was a cutie.

We just watched the one episode called The Bully Boys, it was really good, and we watched the 2 part episode- Journey in the Spring. It was excellent. And we watched the episode called "Fred" about the goat, who rammed everyone in the butt, my son couldn't stop laughing.

sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ingalls family had friends named the garveys

Charles was friends with the dad named Jonathan played by former NFL great Merlin Olsen

Caroline was friends with the mother named Alice

Laura and Albert were friends with the son named Andrew.

In real life Albert and Andrew are brothers. Patrick and Matthew Laborteaux respectively.

Also did you know that in the flashback episode the actor who eventually would play Albert played a young Charles Ingalls?

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

oh and BTW Isis, Mary was married to Adam Kendall who was played by Linwood Boomer who nowdays is a producer or something for "Malcolm in the Middle"
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Ok, The Garveys....they come down the road, they haven't shown up yet in season 3. I just saw the episode where Albert played Charles as a boy, it was in Journey in the Spring.
We just watched another episode called "hunters" and Charles got shot in an accident. Boy was it a bummer.
I love it that they were so close with all the family members as cast members. That is cool. It still is hard to believe that Willie and Laura who were like enemies on the show, went home to the same household every night.
I think the guy that played Adam, was really good looking.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home