iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Death Wish-35th Anniversary

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death Wish-35th Anniversary
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was on this past weekend, I have seen the first one, but then they played part 2, and it's from 1982. Boy.. was it totally depressing. His daughter is raped again, so is the housekeeper-it was so disturbing. I thought the first one was bad, but the second one topped it. Robert Englund plays one of the bad guys and so does Laurence Fishburne. I had known who Jill Ireland was and that she was married to Charles Bronson in real life, but I never saw her in anything. It was a bummer seeing her in Death Wish 2 and knowning she died young of cancer. I can't believe Death Wish is 35 years old, and that Charles Bronson died recently and he was 80 when he died, that just blows my mind.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Death Wish I & II are really strong flicks.
Death Wish III is campy action fun fun fun!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bill and i both love the death wish movies they had put them on amc here 3 times last year and we watched them every time they were on also jeff goldblume was one of the bad guys of course he was the tallest of them lol!!
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Goldblum rocks.
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death Wish III is my fav.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Death Wish 3 as disturbing? I couldn't believe after everything his poor daughter went through in the first one, that she went through the same thing again- in a totally different state- and what happens to her- I thought that was a bit much to do to one person. But, I guess they had to put him over the edge. I thought Vincent Gardenia was kind of funny, he didn't seem to mind too much that Charles Bronson was on a killing spree-it made his life alot easier.

My favorite Charles Bronson movie is 10 to Midnight.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 to Midnight is a very good flick.
That serial killer character is very disturbing.

DW3 has lots of violence but it´s made in the Cannon/Golan Globus style
so it´s kind of campy at times (in a good way).

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always preferred 10 to Midnight over the Death Wish movies...

Noms to Midnight [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I rented the original "Death Wish" on video a couple of instances. I have seen the novel as well as its sequel "Death Sentence" in a bookshop. Here is an interesting fact that none of you may know about. In the novels, Paul's surname isn't Kersey, it is Benjamin.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRSMMaiden
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7789

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TRSMMaiden   Email TRSMMaiden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, the original Death Wish and the second one were both fantastic. All time classics.

Still have not seen the third one [Frown] Just watched the trailer on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agyuMM09yAE

looks pretty decent actually. Will give it a try. Havent seen 10 to Midnight either (never even heard of it before now) so might give that a try also [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they are on today on cable channel 48 here i believe it is amc they show them alot on that channel and they usually show all of them death wish 3 is really good too dee
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
10 to Midnight is a really good movie, it's my favorite Charles Bronson movie.

I highly recommend it. It's weird that Jeana Thomasina is in 10 to Midnight, and now she's on that show "Real Housewives" of Orange County. She looks totally different.

I think this also was Kelly Preston's 1st movie.

Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read in Encyclopedia Mysteriosa by William L. DeAndrea that Brian Garfield became involved in film/television production because of his distress with the film adaption of his novel Death Wish.

[ 20. March 2009, 15:17: Message edited by: LoverswithCassie ]

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

nothing to do with death wish but one of the very few bronsonson flicks i've never seen is the stone killer from 1973.

any good?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell yeah !  -
Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought it would be,cheers johnny i'll be picking up a copy at some point.

-

johnny have you ever seen the one he done with anthony perkins - someone behind the door aka two minds for murder(1971) that's one of the other few i've never seen.

[ 13. March 2015, 14:22: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that's a pic of the Dutch dvd release ! [Smile]

Yeah, i have the exact same one in my collection. It came out here in Holland along with Cold Sweat
and The Valachi Papers. Three titles apparently owned by Universal Pictures, they went out-of-print pretty quickly,
and have since been re-released here by a no-name company in vastly inferior transfers.
The Universal ones look pretty good though.

Someone Behind The Door is nothing special really.. probably only of interest to Bronson completists.

From this specific time-period i really like Bronson in Rider On The Rain and Violent City.

All five of the titles i mentioned may be considered relatively obscure in the Bronson oeuvre.
The Stone Killer on the other hand, is pure class A product.. no doubt about that !

The dvd from Sony / Columbia is bare-bones, but features a stunningly beautiful transfer,
and comes highly recommended !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I've got both rider on the rain and violent city on DVD,the rider on the rain transfer is pretty bad.

It's full screen and no extras to speak off,even the cover art has Bronson photo shopped from what looks like his later death wish 3 days,it really is a crummy release of a great movie.

I just found the exact copy I've got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rider-Rain-DVD-Region-NTSC/dp/B000BTITWQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1426348523&sr=1-5&keywords=rider+on+the+rain .

I'm going to get my hands on stone killer at some point,Bronson and winner you can't go wrong.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Warrior, there's also a high-quality UK dvd of Rider On The Rain available released by Optimum Home Entertainment.
It came out in 2009 and has two versions of the movie : The French (running 113 min.) and the English (109 min.).
It's not just a matter of different audio tracks, but the entire movie was shot in both French and English separately,
resulting in all kinds of little differences between the two versions.
Most of the European actors speak with their own voice in either version.
Not surprisingly Bronson is dubbed in the French one.

Both versions of the movie are restored, and presented here in anamorphic widescreen,
with optional English subtitles for the slightly longer French version. Unfortunately no extra's though.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home