iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Shirley Temple

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shirley Temple
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone a fan of her movies?

My mom was watching a movie tonight from 1943- called "Since You Went Away". It had Shirley Temple in it as a teenager. What little bit of it that I saw, it looked like a really good movie. My mom said...look at how polite people were to each other in movies, and how nice everyone was. Movies were really good even back then...it is amazing to think about how they were filmed then. There were such great storylines in alot of the older movies.

I have never seen any of Shirley Temple's movies though.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her career went downhill as soo as she started trying out for the Action Hero roles.

I mean : "Die Hard With A Dimple".... ?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That must of been around the time she got her first Pimple. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EleanorJune
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom always loved her movies like Baby Take a Bow and Little Blue Eyes. So anything she did around that time, I have seen. I always thought she was an adorable little kid.
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like her, but I couldn't eat a whole one.. [Smile]
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought people acted really phoney in a lot of those old time movies. I know my Grandparents didn't walk around with a fake English accent saying pardon me, exuse me every 10 seconds, although they were polite and fun people to be around.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I don't know of anyone speaking with a fake English accent. But, I know my grandmother sure would have never said the f-word, and my mom was saying how women NEVER ever talked like that, it was unheard of. I still wish it was, because I hate hearing that word come out of anybody's mouth. But, you look at the progression of movies...where that was never permitted...or even thought of. Now, it's everywhere. I was thinking about Shirley Temple as a teenager, Claudette Colbert as her mother- and I can really picture that kind of language coming out of their mouths.
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

[ 11. December 2008, 15:36: Message edited by: Mr. Jack Burton ]

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i loved shirley temple movies especially little blue eyes she was sooo cute!! i haven't seen any of her old stuff in years though? whatever happened to shirley anyways? dee
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Shirley is still alive, my friend has met her many times. She's in her 80s. There are current pictures of her on imdb. I think she married a politician.
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info i was wondering if she was still alive? dee
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I don't know of anyone speaking with a fake English accent. But, I know my grandmother sure would have never said the f-word, and my mom was saying how women NEVER ever talked like that, it was unheard of. I still wish it was, because I hate hearing that word come out of anybody's mouth. But, you look at the progression of movies...where that was never permitted...or even thought of. Now, it's everywhere. I was thinking about Shirley Temple as a teenager, Claudette Colbert as her mother- and I can really picture that kind of language coming out of their mouths.

It is a well known fact that the actors back in the 30's and 40's and even into the 50's were coached by acting coaches and linguists to learn a fake "English" or "upper crust society" accent. They all wanted them to sound like Katherine Hepburn, whose accent was real, being a New Englander. The actors weren't permitted to speak in their own accents. Who said anything about the F-bomb?
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Animal crackers in my soup
Monkeys and rabbits loop the loop
Gosh oh gee but I have fun
Swallowing animals one by one
[Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I was talking about how polite they talk...in older movies, as opposed to what you hear coming out of women's mouths now. I'd rather hear someone talking with a fake English Accent all day long, than talking like trash.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather people be themselves and do whats comfortable to them. If somebody talks in a fake accent then I'd wonder what else is fake about them? I'd have ahard time believing anything from that person.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically you prefer people be fake than go with their true emotions? What's next sticking in a clause to the right to freedom of speech?
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I was talking about how polite they talk...in older movies, as opposed to what you hear coming out of women's mouths now. I'd rather hear someone talking with a fake English Accent all day long, than talking like trash.

So you're saying that my grandparents, who were young back in that era, were trash because they didn't speak in a fake English accent. They were all extremely polite and intelligent and fun to be around, even without the fake accents. And what women are you speaking of now? Maybe in an action movie you hear people swearing, but who cares? You sound like an old chauvenistic man- it's okay for men to swear like sailors and say what ever is on their mind, but women should not swear or speak their minds. YOu would have fit right in with the WW1 era.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home