iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Hang Em High

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hang Em High
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw part of it the other day...and what I saw was really good...I want to watch it again from beginning to end.

What I thought was creepy was the huge big machine they had in the town square...where they had public hangings. That was just awful. I hate scenes where people get hung...it totally creeps me out.

My mom has been watching a bunch of old westerns...she use to watch them with my Grandpa.

I watched part of a John Wayne movie called "Hondo". I have never watched any John Wayne movie. But, I kind of am fascinated by the wild west time period...when there were Indians running around scalping people...I can't imagine living back then.

Is anyone a big fan of old westerns?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I like old westerns sometimes, but they’re always a bit disappointing because I want the Native Americans to win!

Scalping was actually proliferated by the white settlers (Britishers & Frenchmen who prefered decapitation up until that point) and its only through years of cinematic propaganda that we associate it just with the natives.

1756: The governor of Pennsylvania, William Denny, offered a bounty of $130 for "...the scalp of every male Indian enemy above the age of 12 produced as evidence of their being killed".

I saw ‘Hang Em’ High’ a long time ago, all I remember is that great scene where Eastwood, now sheriff, walks into a saloon and shows an old enemy his noose scar, and tells him that if you’re gonna hang a man; you better make damn sure you do it right, or something along those lines. It was a good western as far as I can remember.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not much into westerns. I'll watch some modern ones, but I can't watch a classic western at all.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a list of some good classic westerns that I like

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
A Few Dollars More
Shane
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
The Man That Shot Liberty Valance
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
High Noon
The Oxbow Incident
The Magnificent Seven
Once Upon a Time In The Old West

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son loves The Magnificent Seven.

I like: The Outlaw Josey Whales

I saw the scene where he has the scar on his neck, that was pretty freaky.

You know...I never thought Clint Eastwood had good taste in women in real life, and I always thought that he was one of the best looking men in movie history.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like any Clint Eastwood western. The Unforgiven is especially good...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:

You know...I never thought Clint Eastwood had good taste in women in real life, and I always thought that he was one of the best looking men in movie history.

Yeah it's rather unfortunate that somebody might be with somebody because they actually love them for who they are instead of grabbing onto the latest trophy that shakes her a$$ in his vicinity.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah excuse Clint for having some class lol. If he was shacked up with some 20 something these days I'm sure he'd get alot of backlash from some people. Hang Em High was a great western although I tend to lean towards Unforgiven. Eastwood, Freeman, and Hackman is a tough trio to beat......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I am confused...Clint Eastwood is married now...he's been married for 12 years to Dina Eastwood, she is 43 years old now.

I was talking about Sondra Locke and Frances Fisher- I think they are both very unattractive....and Sondra Locke was annoying in every single movie she was ever in with him. I could never understand what he saw in her...if he wouldn't have given her parts in his movies, she would have never been in anything, because she couldn't act.

He has a new movie coming out soon called Gran Torino...at first it was suppose to be a sequel to the Dirty Harry movies, but now it is it's own movie.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Maybe he loved them for something other than their looks. Maybe they felt their personalities were compatible with each other. Or maybe he thought they looked great; different people like different things in a persons appearance.

How did you decide your husband was the right one? Did you just base it on his looks?

journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:
Yes, I like old westerns sometimes, but they’re always a bit disappointing because I want the Native Americans to win!

Scalping was actually proliferated by the white settlers (Britishers & Frenchmen who prefered decapitation up until that point) and its only through years of cinematic propaganda that we associate it just with the natives.

1756: The governor of Pennsylvania, William Denny, offered a bounty of $130 for "...the scalp of every male Indian enemy above the age of 12 produced as evidence of their being killed".

I saw ‘Hang Em’ High’ a long time ago, all I remember is that great scene where Eastwood, now sheriff, walks into a saloon and shows an old enemy his noose scar, and tells him that if you’re gonna hang a man; you better make damn sure you do it right, or something along those lines. It was a good western as far as I can remember.

Have you ever seen Hombre with Paul Newman? That might be more up your alley. Newman plays a white man who has lived with the Apache for years and has taken to their way of life (eschewing Western European culture in the process). He ends up on a stagecoach with a bunch of civilized white folk and is almost instantly met with derision and castigation. But when the stage is attacked and pilaged, and the passengers are left in the middle of nowhere with no means of survival they all turn to the bitter Newman for help. It's one of my favorite Westerns. And it also has one of the all-time greatest one liners: Richard Boone and his thugs have the passengers pinned down in a mining cabin at the top of a hill. He arrogantly marches up the hill to give the besieged passengers his list of demands if they are to leave with their lives, while they all nod approvingly like a pack of cowards. When he's all done laying out his terms, he closes with "Any questions?". To which Paul Newman matter-of-factly responds "Hey, I got a question. How are you planning to get back down that hill?" and shoots him. Awesome.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I watched part of a John Wayne movie called "Hondo". I have never watched any John Wayne movie. But, I kind of am fascinated by the wild west time period...when there were Indians running around scalping people...I can't imagine living back then.

Is anyone a big fan of old westerns?

Hondo is good, but by no means Wayne's best Western. For that, I'd recommend either The Searchers or Red River.

Also really good that always seem to be overlooked on people's lists are some of the Anthony Mann directed Westerns with James Stewart like Winchester '73, Bend of the River, The Naked Spur or The Far Country.

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

The Searchers is an awesome movie. Still waiting to see Red River. I always heard that Stagecoach is supposed to be good too.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High Plains Drifter is a great one.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by journey:
quote:
Originally posted by Kash:

Have you ever seen Hombre with Paul Newman? That might be more up your alley. Newman plays a white man who has lived with the Apache for years and has taken to their way of life (eschewing Western European culture in the process). He ends up on a stagecoach with a bunch of civilized white folk and is almost instantly met with derision and castigation. But when the stage is attacked and pilaged, and the passengers are left in the middle of nowhere with no means of survival they all turn to the bitter Newman for help. It's one of my favorite Westerns. And it also has one of the all-time greatest one liners: Richard Boone and his thugs have the passengers pinned down in a mining cabin at the top of a hill. He arrogantly marches up the hill to give the besieged passengers his list of demands if they are to leave with their lives, while they all nod approvingly like a pack of cowards. When he's all done laying out his terms, he closes with "Any questions?". To which Paul Newman matter-of-factly responds "Hey, I got a question. How are you planning to get back down that hill?" and shoots him. Awesome.
Thanks Journey, I've not seen 'Hombre' but it sounds good, the stagecoach scene reminds me of Sergio Leone's 'A Fistful of Dynamite' when Rod Stegier's Mexican bandit is on board with that bourgeois party, just before his family holds them up. Love his OTT Mexican accent in that one: "can ju mak a bebe?"
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home