iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » I finally saw The Godfather

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I finally saw The Godfather
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night...I watched the Godfather (part 1)...for the very first time. I had seen the part where James Cann is killed...and that was it...that was awful.

I think I saw the edited version...I am sure the unedited was worse.

I saw a clip of the Dead Horse Head in the Bed Scene...on something else...but now I finally know how it got there. He was made an offer he couldn't refuse, and he made the mistake of refusing it.

Sometimes Marlon Brando's voice/accent was so heavy duty ...I was having a hard time understanding him. I kept thinking he had a wad of tobacco in his jaw.

I never realized this movie was made in 1972.

The girl that Michael(Al Pacino) marries in Greece ...or Italy...or wherever he was hiding...her name was Apollonia. So...Prince really wasn't the first to come up with that one.

I actually liked the story line, allthough I never understand the gangster kind of lifestyle. I actually liked the fact that "The Godfather" didn't want to get involved in narcotics, and that's what caused all the killing...he didn't want to get mixed up in any of that...and a few other bad guys didn't want to get involved with it either.

Gambling was Ok...but no drugs. So...even though he was a bad guy...I guess he still had some morals.

I might watch part 2 tonight...I saw the first 15 minutes last night, and then I fell asleep.

When Sonny was killed, I was bummed...I wanted him to go kill that brother-in-law that kept beating his sister. But, then he got his...eventually.

I thought Diane Keaton's hairdo make her look older then...than she does now.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Sometimes Marlon Brando's voice/accent was so heavy duty ...I was having a hard time understanding him. I kept thinking he had a wad of tobacco in his jaw.

Not tobacco, but he did in fact use cotton balls to create that muffled sound and puffy cheeks. [Wink]

Great movie! Greatest actor!

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it's true.. Greatest actor ever..
Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
loved the godfather great movie i still say the first one was the best out of them all though! and yes i loved the cotton balls in marlon brando's cheeks lol it had to be gross after a while talking with them in his mouth lol? loved james cann is that movie too he was hot and i hated the part where they killed him got really upset the first time i watched it!! dee [Cool]
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS,

So you finally saw it huh? Good for you. Now you know what all the fuss is about.

The name Appolonia has been around for centuries. There is Saint Apollonia, many cities in Greece, Italy, Turkey etc named Apollonia.

The girl's name Apollonia \a-pollo-nia, ap(ol)-lonia\ is pronounced ah-poh-LONE-yah. It is of Greek origin. Latin feminine form of the Greek male name Apollonios, from Apollo. Mythology: Apollo was the Greek god of sunlight, music, and poetry. Saint Apollonia was an elderly third-century Christian martyr. In art she is often portrayed with a pair of tongs and an outsized molar.

Too much information... I know... [Smile]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I and II are two of the greatest stories ever told. definitely the best mob movies ever made. i can watch these movies over and over.

the saddest scene ever is when tom has to tell brando about sonny's death then brando has to go identify sonny's body. that scene always gets to me.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...I was waiting to find out what he was going to need the Undertaker to do for him.

When Michael kills those 2 bad guys in the restaurant...that gave me the creeps. You could just feel the horror of all that.

This movie freaked me out, because at any second, at any time, anywhere...someone could pop out of nowhere and kill someone. I hated that part of it.

Then when you think ...oh they aren't going to kill anyone because they say, I won't kill you, trust me...then you know for sure that they are a goner.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw all three films in a row, one a night, and they were all excellent. Even Part III with Sofia Coppolla as a last minute replacement for Winona Ryder (on reflection, I think a lot of critcs were too harsh on young Coppola's acting, she did OK for someone whose not an actress). Godfather Part II had an ingenious narrative structure, I heard they were going to use the same approach for part IV, with Leo Dicaprio as young Sonny and Andy Garcia back as Don Vincenzo Mancini. The ideas been there for about 10 years now, who knows if they'll ever get around to making it.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe Fox: 'The Godfather answers all of life's questions. What should I pack for my summer vacation? "Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you guys ever seen The Godfather Saga? It's Part I & II edited together chronologically with a few deleted scenes reinserted. It's a lot cooler than you'd expect and a very different cinematic experience than just watching the two movies back-to-back. Francis Ford Coppola and editor Barry Malkin originally assembled it as a mini-series presentation back in 1977. USA runs it occassionally, but it's never been released on home video to my knowledge.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of it. Sounds intriguing.
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by journey:
Have any of you guys ever seen The Godfather Saga? It's Part I & II edited together chronologically with a few deleted scenes reinserted. It's a lot cooler than you'd expect and a very different cinematic experience than just watching the two movies back-to-back. Francis Ford Coppola and editor Barry Malkin originally assembled it as a mini-series presentation back in 1977. USA runs it occassionally, but it's never been released on home video to my knowledge.

i saw it and liked it, even though i saw it on tv so it was edited.

the only part that was added that i really remember thinking was cool as hell was how michael took revenge on the one survivng guy who tried to kill him in sicily but ended up killing his wife with the car bomb.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home