iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Main Event-Barbara Streisand

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Main Event-Barbara Streisand
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWNJp8e6vM&feature=related

I never realized there were 2 versions of the song-the other is a ballad.

I have never seen the movie, I wanted to know if anyone had, what they thought. I have never really liked Barbara Streisand...she does have a beautiful voice, I love the song "Evergreen", but I never liked her as an actress...I never watched any of her older stuff, there's something about her that just rubs me the wrong way-and I am not sure what it is.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS:

I have not seen the movie either. But I like some of Streisand's movies. I realize that she is an acquired taste, though.

If you haven't seen her earlier stuff, I would strongly recommend her first movie, "Funny Girl" (1968). She got a 'Best Actress' Academy Award for her role of playing the real-life Fanny Brice, and it was a role that she reprised from her earlier Broadway stage version.

Some of her movie choices since then, have been largely hit-or-miss.

Maybe her nasal New York accent "rubs you the wrong way"?

Maybe you and your son might enjoy "What's Up, Doc?", a screwball comedy she did in 1972 with Ryan O'Neal and Madeline Kahn.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big fan of hers, but I did like the flick she did with Bridges. I can't recall the name of it right now.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 80'sRocked:
...But I did like the flick she did with [Jeff] Bridges. I can't recall the name of it right now.

You are thinking of "The Mirror Has Two Faces" (1996), co-starring Lauren Bacall, Mimi Rogers, Pierce Brosnan, and George Segal.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0117057/

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This song was Streisand's entry into the disco era.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
You are thinking of "The Mirror Has Two Faces"

That's it. Thanks.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Barbra both as a singer and actress [Smile] My fave films of hers are Funny Girl (my fave musical), Up the sandbox, Meet the Fockers and What's up doc? The Main event is alright, daft, but probably my least fave of all her films.

[ 19. August 2008, 09:57: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, she's been in some good movies, and, she can really sing... [Smile]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just watched most of The Main Event on HBO a couple months ago. It was pretty awful. Actually, it was embarassingly unfunny. You'd have to be a big Babs fan to get into it, I think. She tries (badly) to play it like a cross between Katherine Hepburn and Goldie Hawn. Don't waste your time, really.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home