iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Midnight Cowboy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Midnight Cowboy
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been wanting to get this movie, I have never seen it. I know it's about male prostitution...but that's all I know, and it has the famous scene with Dustin Hoffaman saying "I'm walking here!"....

Has anyone else seen it, and what did you think?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its great...you should buy it...or at least rent it.

I own a VHS and watch it about once a year. It never fails to make me cry!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean male prostitution like gigolo, or is it more like with women and men?
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I have been wanting to get this movie, I have never seen it. I know it's about male prostitution...but that's all I know, and it has the famous scene with Dustin Hoffaman saying "I'm walking here!"....

Has anyone else seen it, and what did you think?

ISIS:

Let me help out! [Smile]

The Academy Award winner for "Best Picture" of 1969.

It's really about two lonely guys, one a Texan named Joe Buck (played by a then-unknown Jon Voight), who travels to New York in the hopes he could be a paid gigolo/male prostitute servicing to rich upscale N.Y. society women. But he has difficulty finding such people, and winds up meeting lonely gay guys instead. Along the way, Joe meets a streetwise bum with tuberculosis named Ratzo Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman) and the two spend an entire freezing New York winter, when they should be out getting jobs. They both envision getting out of New York and enjoy the easy life of Miami. Well, I won't spoil the rest for you there. But it is not a happy movie!

I have it on DVD, but haven't had time to see the whole way through. I've seen it on network TV back in the late 70's, though.

When this movie first came out, it was originally rated "X", but the MPAA rating system was a lot different than it is today. A few years later, it was reclassified to an "R".

If you read the novel "Of Mice And Men", think of it as having an urban setting, and then you get the idea.

Some parts of the movie is a bit outdated, but I cannot imagine a major studio making a movie like this today.

From what I remember of it, this is worth seeing.
Just not with your son, though! [Eek!]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A side note: it was indeed from here that Rizzo the rat got his name a decade later.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALSO of note.....the look of the charactor "Lenny" on THE SIMPSONS is supposedly based on Ratzo Rizzo (although a lot of fans see more of a resemblence with Moe The Bartender)

I remember watching this movie on TV as a kid and really liking it...and then I read one of those Leonard Maltin movie books when I was older and he said something along the lines of "Don't bother watching this movie on TV....it's edited to pieces " (which I guess it'd HAVE to be - after all, it's rated X!)

I watched this movie with my MOM awhile back and there wasn't terrible discomfort going on - so i guess it's a pretty loose X ...especially by todays standards!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch Midnite Cowboy once a year as well. It is kind of like Taxi Driver on shrooms.
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lloyd_Dobler
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7119

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lloyd_Dobler   Email Lloyd_Dobler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good movie. Back when Brenda Vacarro was hot, if you can imagine such a time. She really was though.
Posts: 64 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
ISIS, did you watcxh it yet?
vashti1999
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1837

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for vashti1999   Email vashti1999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Midnight Cowboy, it's a classic.
Posts: 60 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home