iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Deer Hunter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Deer Hunter
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your opinions on this movie? I know a lot of people don't like it because they said it portrayed an unrealistic image of the Vietnam war. But in my opinion, the movie was not supposed to be just about a war. It was a movie about friendship, and how far one would go for a friend. It is one of my favorite movies, and I could watch it over and over. All of the actors were excellent- Meryl Streep, Christopher Walken, Robert DeNero, and even the secondary characters like George Dzunda and John Cazale, who sadly passed away right after the movie was finished.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ed raynes
Rewind Curious
Member # 4682

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ed raynes   Email ed raynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was an excellent film, and although some of the "russian roullete" scenes may have been a little over the top, the atmosphere, attitude and mood portrayed about small PA steel towns during the Vietnam era was extremely accurate.
Posts: 7 | From: Lebanon, PA | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of my fave movies from the 70s. Great cast, and I feel it was a pretty realistic image of the Vietnam War from what my relatives tell me who were in Vietnam...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ed raynes, I thought it definitely felt somewhat like my hometown in the 70's, which was a steel mill town. It just gives me a weird feeling, like when I watch certain parts, I feel like "oh-was I there before?"
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that movie caused some copycat things...on Snopes, if anyone's wondering.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good movie, I totally agree with eightieschick about this not being just a war film, but more a character driven epic about blue collar workers in America. And the way in which bourgeoisie government’s indoctrinate and then exploit the misguided patriotism / poverty of the working class to serve their own greed-driven agendas.

The Vietnam roulette scenes, whilst quite harrowing for the time, have been parodied so much now that they’ve lost the edge they once had. Still, this is a fine movie with some great performances from Walken and DeNiro.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome movie. One of my favorites from this decade. I would love to get that DVD collector's edition that came out last year.
DeNiro is one of the finest actors on the planet!

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home