iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » SOAP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOAP
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was too young to watch this in the 70's, but I just bought the first season on dvd yesterday. I'd heard about how good the show was, so thought I'd give it a go... and it's really really funny!

Katherine Helmond as Jessica Tate is so sweetly naive, very different to her Mona Robinson character in Who's the boss.

I can't believe that Billy Crystal is actually entertaining! His role of Jodie was groundbreaking in the day - the first time an openly gay character was a major character on a tv show.

But my favorite character would be poor Mary Campbell. She's so nice, and has to put up with so much - a gay son who's having a sex change operation, another son who's on the run from the mob, and a 2nd husband who murdered her first husband. Not to mention a stepson with an unhealthy attachment to his ventriloquist's dummy!

And of course there's Benson, who went on to his own spinoff show which lasted years longer than SOAP did.

Overall, an excellent show and I'm looking forward to seeing the next few seasons on DVD.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stitch, I watched Soap late at night in the 70's. I always felt weird watching it as a kid, like this funny, but in a tragic way ya know.

My favorite character was Chuck and his ventriloquist dummy Bob or was it the other way around...ha. Not to mention Burt, who was always cracking me up!

A memorable show was when Burt hid Bob in the freezer overnight from Chuck. When Chuck opened the freezer and took Bob out it was comedic genius.

Don't forget this is where Benson got his start!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Grandma loved Benson...I remember my family talking about Soap all the time...but I thought of it as more of an adult show...I remember the whole thing with Billy Crystal being gay...and it was very controversial....I think that's why my family steered me clear of it, but I remember them talking about how hysterical it was.

It is a show I would like to watch some day too....but there are so many more shows I still want to get, so it is down the list for me.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool I didn't know that it was available on DVD.

I am trying to think of what other cool sitcoms I wish were on DVD so that I could watch them again from beginning to end.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home