iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Smokey and the Bandit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smokey and the Bandit
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never get tired of this movie. I catch it everytime I see it's on TV and occasionally drag the DVD out and watch it. To me, the sequels got progressively worse after the first one...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always love a good chase movie, and aside from The Blues Brothers, this one's my favorite. The only film to make any money against the original Star Wars, it still holds up well today, and the stunts are incredible. The soundtrack's wonderful as well, with great songs from Jerry Reed.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that it will probably get re-made soon. I bet they put someone stupid behind the wheel too.
I can see it now... Ben Stiller playing Bandit, Dave Chapelle playing Jerry Reed's part and Bernie Mac as the Smokey.
They'll probably do something moronic like that.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shhh! Not so loud! Don't give Ben Stiller any ideas!

[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously....I can see that happening too.

We love this movie too...it is one of my son's favorites, he also loves Cannonball Run.

I love the Trans Am.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During that time of the 70's, those type of movies were perfect. Of course the Smokey movies and the Cannonball's too, but then you can even mention the Every Which Way But Loose movies in there too. I catch them all when they show up on cable once every 5 years or so [Razz]
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently saw "dirty mary crazy larry" which is also a really great car chase movie from the mid-70s. kinda more hard rock and gritty than smokey and the bandit. but i always liked SatB too. cannonball run, not so much. wasn't dom delouise in that? he was kinda tough to take sometimes.
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I always watch those Every Which Way But Loose movies when I catch em on TV...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I´m afraid to re-open this old tread, what if Stiller is around [Smile]

Weeell, anyhow. I watched Smokey and the Bandit (1977) and yes, this was the very first time i saw it.
I liked the film and Reynolds is taylor made Bandit, even though Hal Needham first decided to make a cheap b-movie and Jerry Reed was to be the Bandit.
It´s definitely a feelgood film and you gotta love the tune "East Bound and Down" performed by Reed.
He is great as the truck driving Snowman and Jackie Gleason is hilarious as foul-mouthed Bruford T. Justice. Sally Field plays Sally Field but i like her...

-

Okay, let´s move on!

I love how Reynolds breaks the fourth wall and there´s lots of fun CB radio stuff and cool stunts.
So, Reynolds changed moonshine to beer in this film but i was surprised that Coors really was unavailable for sale east of Oklahoma back in those days.
Bandit´s Trans Am is one fine automobile and it became wildly popular with sales almost doubling in two years of the film's release.
Burt also got one as a gift but was forced to sell it in 2014 due financial difficulties. I will also check out the sequels sometime soon so stay tuned!

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A classic film indeed. Part 2 is, well... watchable. It has some good gags and retains a little of the old magic seen in the first one, but not enough, if you ask me. Do yourself a favor and avoid part 3 at all cost.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the 3rd film is probably very bad but i just have to see it [Big Grin]
Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Lemonjello
Master Rewinder
Member # 37395

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Peter Lemonjello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feel free. Just be aware that it's not so-bad-it's-good or just pretty bad and forgetful. It's the kind of bad that makes you angry and hateful and ruins the rest of your day.
Posts: 141 | From: The Belle Isle | Registered: Nov 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home