iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Silent Running (1972)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silent Running (1972)
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another film I like but is rarely heard of these days, maybe because it’s so old. It used to be on TV in the UK in the early 80s quite abit, maybe trying to get some viewers of the back of the Star Wars success as it also has cute robots and spaceships (not in the same league as Star Wars in terms of effects, but it has its own qualities). It’s the way I used to see it back then, but when watch as an adult it’s a lot different and more serious. Its also quite a sad film, don’t worry I’m not going to ruin it for you if you haven’t seen it but I’d definitely recommend you to check it out, its not an exciting film but interesting plot and getting more interesting with the way the world seem to be going.

Bruce Dern’s acting in this really is of the highest quality.

I think one of the Robots may have appeared in Star Wars?? Was he the one getting his feet branded in that huge transporter thing??

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folk songs and tragedy in space. It's enough to make anyone cry.

File under '70's socio-political sci-fi' with 'Logan's Run' and 'Soylent Green'.

Man... Star Wars changed everything.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love silent running. i totally have it. little known fact, joel hodgson, host of that show mst3k where the puppets make fun of bad movies, says that silent running was one of his inspirations for the show. because, you know, the whole bachelor in space bonding with the robot thing.

yeah, star wars DID totally change everything but i think there were still a few cool political sci-fi movies after that. the remake of invasion of the body snatchers, for instance, which i also love. but after star wars sci-fi definitely did get to be a lot more about the eye candy.

i'm new, by the way. hi.

Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tia,

It's cool to hear there are other Silent Running fans out there. I also have it on VHS now. Theres some cool trivia on the link to IMDB if you have not already seen it, tells you the names of the extra ships that you never see and some stuff about the Valley Forge itself.

Welcome to Rewind by the way, I'm sure you will like it here.

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about thx 1138? ever see that one, good political sci fi movie from around the same time. hard to believe the director went on to do star wars...
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rollerball is another in the same category.

James Caan's best 70s performance post-Godfather IMO. Very interesting concept, terrific film.

And yes I agree Silent Running was pure quality.

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home