iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » To Kill A Mockingbird

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Kill A Mockingbird
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I don't have this movie.

My son just got the book from his book club in school.

I remember I read it in 12th grade...it was a very deep and rather disturbing story...the subject material was very controversial.

I haven't watched the movie since high school, and need to get it...does anyone else remember it, and did you like it??

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love "To Kill a Mockingbird." It was one of only two books that I read all the way through in 12th grade honors English. We got to go see the play and we also watched the movie. TCM usually shows it every March, when they show the Oscar movies. I try to watch it any chance I get. I don't own the movie but I do own the book.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS (and anyone else):

An expanded version of this classic movie just came out on DVD. It's absolutely worth owning.

It has the old theatrical trailer, plus old interviews with Gregory Peck, and with the other cast members, including the two actors who played Peck's kids. (One of them is now a business man and runs a bar somewhere in Alabama)

The movie takes place in a racist community in the 1930's, but considering that the movie came out in 1962 (when the Civil Rights struggle was still going on), it was a very timely movie.

It was based on Harper Lee's bestselling 1960 novel, and one of the child characters was based on Lee's real-life childhood friend, author Truman Capote. (Just a little trivia bit for you!)

Anyway, it's an outstanding movie over a difficult (and sometimes troubling) subject matter. And Gregory Peck deservedly won an Academy Award "Best Actor" Oscar for his role, and he himself considered it his most favorite role in his long movie career.

Definitely worth watching, but not for kids!

[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great movie! The name Boo Radley is legendary.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley wrote:
quote:
The name Boo Radley is legendary.
Isn't there a rock band with that same name? The Boo Radleys? [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steven there is a UK band called the Boo Radleys that formed in the 80's.

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read this novel with my grade ten's last year. Even in the 21st century they LOVED it! I was so glad as it was my favourite book when I was at school.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home