iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » John Wayne movies on AMC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Wayne movies on AMC
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never watched any John Wayne movies that I can actually remember...but they have been having some kind of tribute going on AMC to him...and while we were at the beach we watched some of the High & the Mighty...my son really liked it, and what I saw was really good...and made me want to see the whole thing now. They are replaying it Thursday night at 8PM.

They are going to be playing the movie "Island in the Sky" at 11PM Thursday after High & the Mighty and my son said it looks like a good one to watch to.

I always associated John Wayne with westerns...not airplane movies...so I never really knew he did such a variety of stuff. Does anyone else like his movies??

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve always considered ‘The Duke’ to be a terrible actor, just plain bad. That said, I like two of his films ‘Stagecoach’ (which they made me watch in film class) and ‘The Cowboys’ (old Wayne, may have even been his last movie), that cut n’ paste skit they did for ‘Gremlins 2: The New Batch’ was also kinda cool.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a huge Duke fan, Isis. I have a whole library of his movies.
He did mostly westerns in his career, but he also did his share of war movies. He also did a couple of love stories like The Quiet Man. Like Kash said, he wasn't much of an actor, but he was a screen legend. He was an icon. He played the same character in every movie he played - that character was John Wayne. And he played it well. He did a movie where he played a fireman putting out huge blazes called Hellfighters. He did a couple of modern cop movies in the '70s...one was McQ and the other was Brannigan. His last movie, The Shootist, was done in the mid '70s and costarred Ron Howard.
His best acting performance was in the movie The Searchers which was directed by John Ford and shot in Monument Valley. It co-starred Natalie Wood.
Stagecoach was an older one starring him and it had some of the coolest camera shots. It was eye candy.
My favorite Duke movies are:
The Cowboys
Big Jake
The Green Berets (about the vietnam war)
The Sons Of Katie Elder
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance (co-stars Jimmy Stewart)
True Grit

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bigfoot- Joanna gave me a picture of her with Bob Hope and John Wayne when she was on a Bob Hope special...Neat, huh?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home