iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Movie Of The Day - actually from the 60's!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie Of The Day - actually from the 60's!
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pick for "Movie Of The Day" is actually from 1964, but since there is no "60's Rewind", I am posting it here.

I have seen it before: once on television in the late 70's, and again in a revival art-house theater in the early 80's. It's one of my all-time favorite "dark comedy" films ever made. And all shot on glorious black-and-white!

And last week, I finally bought the 2-disc DVD 40th Anniversary Special Edition set.
[Cool]

Anyone wants to discuss this one? Especially you, HipsterMom? [Smile]

(click below to see the title):
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/combined

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO: that's a great pick, Steverino!

The scathing dry wit of the dialogue is just sublime...hard to believe this movie is 40 years old, especially in the context of political developments over the years.

Yee-hah!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" [Big Grin]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
Photo cards from movie theater lobbies are here:

http://home.comcast.net/~cosmicool

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
I should add that one of George C. Scott's finest (and unexpectedly comical) performances is in the movie!

Most people who never thought of him as a comic actor needs to see this! His facial expressions are priceless, without being too hammy! [Big Grin]

It's been said that his performance in the movie is his own favorite, and I can see why.

It's just too bad it didn't win any Oscars, though! [Frown]

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was clearly ahead of its time...and not too many movies can say that, especially a comedy.

The whole deadpan humor thing is right up my alley.

I was bummed...the original version of "The Ladykillers" ran this weekend [Turner Classics maybe?] but I couldn't watch it.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah superb in a game of hangman.
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2003's hit play: 'The Madness of George Dubya' was inspired by this film, hilarious performace by Sellars.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what I rented this one time and I couldn't even make it through it. I don't know what it is about it but I didn't care for it at all.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home