iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » King Kong (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: King Kong
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else hear they were remaking Kong Kong??

I loved the one with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange, it use to be one of my favorite movies growing up, now it is pretty hard to watch knowing the Trade Center is gone.

If they were going to remake it...Jessica Simpson would have been better cast in it than the Dukes of Hazzard.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The seventies remake of King Kong is one of the all-time worst movies ever made - and that's official.

The effects were not even up to the 1930s version, and the acting was so cheesy. Sorry, but I've evidence that I'm not alone in this opinion.

Let's see if they do a better job this time - tough to go even worse......

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul..... [Frown] [Frown] ...I loved King Kong, I thought the effects were cool. I loved the end, when he hits the helicopter, and he is so cool in the waterfall scene. I loved it. It was great. I love when he comes to get her, and is plowing down the trees. The fake snake was cheesy, but I thought Kong was cool. His face was so neat.
I was so bummed that they took the King Kong ride out of Universal Studios, cause I loved that scene where he is loose in the city, and he grabs the train. It was cool!!

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Kong will rule. Peter Jackson is making the movie he always wanted to make...how can it fail???

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Put a link on here for it, cause I know nothing about it...I wanna see some stuff on it.
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything I've seen and read about the new King Kong looks just absolutely amazing. I think it will totally rock! Peter Jacksoon is an awesomely talented director and I think Adrian Brody will do a terrific job and Jack Black should add great comic relief. I can't wait to see it.

Isis... I enjoyed the Jessica Lang King Kong too, but I liked the original much better.

For you original Kong buffs like me, there will be a collector's edition DVD of the original coming out later this year to celebrate the release of the new movie.

I read that some of the cast of Lord Of The Rings are going to make cameos in the new Kong. I heard that Elija Wood gets stepped on by him. And the same guy that did the motion capture for Gollum is doing the motion capture as King Kong!

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh no.....Jack Black, I hate him, he isn't funny, he's so annoying, who the heck is he suppose to be playing?? And Adrian Brody- ick, he's icky icky...no!!! I am bummed, I had no idea they cast it or it was even official! Cripes!!
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jack Black is playing the reporter / cameraman who goes to the Island with Brody to capture Kong. And this is a period piece. It's set in the 1930s, so the costumes and sets ought to be awesome. Naomi Watts is the girl this time around.
You ought to give it a chance, Isis....It's not a comedy, so Jack Black won't be his wild self. I actually liked Jack Black in School Of Rock & Shallow Hal.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Naomi Watts....geez...I don't know Bro, you go see it first, and tell me all about it...then I'll see if I can take it.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click on the following link for all the info:

kong

I think its gonna be a great movie and have every confidence in the cast...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thanks for the Link, that cast looks awful, I am sorry...there aren't any "quality" movie stars any more.

Even if you thought the 70's version was cheesy, Jessica Lange still looked like a movie star.

Jack Black looks like he should be starring in the remake of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...seriously..he looks demented.

And Adrian Brody...he is no leading man material, no way...not to me...I want to see someone good looking, who's built and looks like they could actually rescue you from a big ape. I think I'd choose to stay and hang out with King Kong, if he was my other choice.

I don't even like it when they list new character names. [Frown]

They really dogged the 70's version. I loved that movie. It is the exact same thing as me dogging their version...people see things differently.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cast looks awesome. Look outside the box and don't be so caught up in if somebody looks like leading man material. Having people that look like Black and Brody as the leading men/heroes is closer to real life because not every hero in real life is ruggedly handsome. Jack Black has a totally engaging charisma about him that I like.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by isis9968:
I am sorry...there aren't any "quality" movie stars any more.

Oh my god. i can't belive you just said that! Shut up because you're making yourself look stupid... [Frown]

Noms [Cool]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Give me a break Noms, don't tell me what to do, I get sick of it. That's how I see it, and that's my opinion. Like it or not, too bad.
When you tell me to shut up-I don't think it is me that looks stupid- [Razz]

There is nobody today that compares to people like Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Clint Eastwood.

Funny...my husband came home from work today and said he heard them talking about King Kong and he said everyone that he has heard talk about it says it looks stupid, and why on Earth would they put Jack Black in that movie, so I don't think I am the only person that thinks that way-
[Razz]

Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
Hey Sam, I agree about the engaging charisma. I loved him in School Of Rock and Shallow Hal. I think his acting has come a long way. I think casting him in Kong is interesting. I can't wait to see it.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Isis,

I have come across the conclusion that you have absolutely nothing of interest to say about modern cinema. You make broad sweeping statements that you cannot back up. I'm not only talking about the cast of Kong.

When you say that there are no quality actors today then I'm sorry but my opinion of you as a movie fan just drops through the floor.

I have no desire to get into another argument with you but your dim view of modern cinema really is quite pathetic. You really have no idea what you are talking about and whilst I could name dozens of fine actors of today I just don't think its worth the effort as you'll come up with some other lame response of how I misinterpreted you...

Believe it or not people are still winning and being nominated for best actor Oscars even in this decade and your idea that none of these people are as worthy as your so called 'idols' of the 70's and 80's really is nonsensical.
As for all the other actors out there who don't even get the nominations but deserve the recognition, I would rather see Naomi Watts in a faithful remake of the original classic King Kong than Jessica Lange in some poor 70's update that nowhere near captured the essence of the original.

You see, I don't care what Jack Black has done before, because I tend to rate the actor in the role he is currently playing. I'm sure that you still think Tom Hanks was at his best in Big yet I think his roles in Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan etc are the ones he should be remembered for.

Anne Rice once slated the makers of Interview With The Vampire for their casting choice before she'd even seen the movie yet withdrew her complaints once the movie was released because she agreed that the cast were actually inspired choices. I think that judgement should be made once you have seen the film rather than slagging it off because you don't like the people cast in it...if i had gone along with that mentality then I would never have watched Aston Kutchner in the Butterfly Effect or Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (in my opinion two of the best and most original movies to have been released in years). And before you say "I've never seen those movies so I wouldn't know" think about the huge amounts of other movies and actors you haven't seen before you make such broad sweeping statements about the lack of quality actors in future...

Noms [Cool]

ps Ok. Maybe I shouldn't have told you to shut up and I apologise for that, but you really do wind me up with some of the statements you come up with and I'm sure you do it on purpose just to start a debate...

[ 05. March 2005, 22:43: Message edited by: Noms, The Anti-Goof ]

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very interested in see the new "King Kong" movie. When you hear Peter Jackson is going to remake King Kong, you may think of all the revolutionary possibilities the director of Lord of the Rings might bring to the iconic figure. Don’t get too carried away, because Jackson’s intentions are actually to be as faithful to the 1933 version as possible, only with special effects that modern moviegoers will accept. The original was one of the first films Jackson fell in love with at age nine, and he just wants to make a film that modern nine-year-olds will see the way he sees the original.

So Isis maybe you will like it after all, the special effects will be worth it for me. The cast is interesting, but should be fine. Naomi Watts & Adrien Brody for the serious and Jack Black for some comic relief I'm sure. Should be interesting.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Noms, I know you think I say things just for the shear purpose of getting you all in a huff, but I have tried watching current movies, and I have said that a few here and there turned out ok, but they are NOT movies I would sit down and watch 50 times.

I use to be the minority just even in my own family and circle of friends, when it came to the type of movies that were being made, everyone was always telling me to cut movies a break, and I would try...I attempted to watch ELF, and my family said what is this junk, and who told me it was any good? And they made me shut it off, which was ok by me-but it was a big disappointment-because other people said they liked it. Same thing with Cellular.

But I did like Unfaithful and Shall we Dance?

But...I hate that all they do is remake older movies, there were so many original movies in the 80's, in every category of movies. There are so many 80's movies out there that I haven't even seen, because they just made movies all the time.

We use to rent movies all weekend long before, we'd come home with stacks of them.

My husband went to Blockbusters the other day, and he said he couldn't find anything he wanted to see. There hasn't been ANYTHING worth going to the movies for. The last movie I saw at the theater was The Series of Unfortunate Events...I would never sit through that movie again.

Just because they give Awards away doesn't mean the movie was even any good-and I am not the only one saying it-they say it on commentaries done about the Awards and the movies all the time, they just don't have nothing else to pick from. When Chris Rock went out to the general public and asked if anyone had seen any of the movies nominated, nobody had, why not...if those movies are the best we got to offer-how come nobody has seen any of them, even alot of major movie watchers here on the Rewind that will watch anything-hadn't seen any of those ones. I do want to see Million Dollar Baby now, after seeing clips of it at the Oscars-I hope it is good, that would be great. I want to see a good movie, I don't want to see a bad movie-that's my whole point.

It is just the difference of what I think is good, and that comes from my own personal way of watching a movie and what effects me.

I hope King Kong turns out to be great, it would be awesome if it did, if there was a movie that looked great on the big screen, but I have seen Jack Black in the past and he's a creep to me in everything I ever saw him in, now that would be great acting if he turned out not to be a creep.

I don't know how Noms your saying it will be better than the 70's version, when it hasn't even been made yet.

I am tired of not having any great summer Blockbuster movies. We use to go to matinees all the time in the summer, and I miss it, so if a great movie would come out, I still will go. The thing is.. I go there expecting the feeling I had when I saw what I thought was a great movie in the past, and I leave thinking what the heck was that all about.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't know how Noms your saying it will be better than the 70's version, when it hasn't even been made yet.
Than how can you say its going to be crap if it hasn't been made yet????????????????????????!!!!
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Sam after his hockey team loses!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I didn't actually say it would be total crap...not until I see it, I said the cast doesn't do anything for me, and they don't.

I don't have high expectations for it. I am hoping that it is good-that I am all for-any movie if it is good, but I hate when they remake anything.

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by isis9968:
Noms, I know you think I say things just for the shear purpose of getting you all in a huff, but I have tried watching current movies, and I have said that a few here and there turned out ok, but they are NOT movies I would sit down and watch 50 times.

1. I use to be the minority just even in my own family and circle of friends, when it came to the type of movies that were being made, everyone was always telling me to cut movies a break, and I would try...I attempted to watch ELF, and my family said what is this junk, and who told me it was any good? And they made me shut it off, which was ok by me-but it was a big disappointment-because other people said they liked it. Same thing with Cellular.

But I did like Unfaithful and Shall we Dance?

2. But...I hate that all they do is remake older movies, there were so many original movies in the 80's, in every category of movies. There are so many 80's movies out there that I haven't even seen, because they just made movies all the time.

We use to rent movies all weekend long before, we'd come home with stacks of them.

My husband went to Blockbusters the other day, and he said he couldn't find anything he wanted to see. There hasn't been ANYTHING worth going to the movies for. The last movie I saw at the theater was The Series of Unfortunate Events...I would never sit through that movie again.

3. Just because they give Awards away doesn't mean the movie was even any good-and I am not the only one saying it-they say it on commentaries done about the Awards and the movies all the time, they just don't have nothing else to pick from. When Chris Rock went out to the general public and asked if anyone had seen any of the movies nominated, nobody had, why not...if those movies are the best we got to offer-how come nobody has seen any of them, even alot of major movie watchers here on the Rewind that will watch anything-hadn't seen any of those ones. I do want to see Million Dollar Baby now, after seeing clips of it at the Oscars-I hope it is good, that would be great. I want to see a good movie, I don't want to see a bad movie-that's my whole point.

4. It is just the difference of what I think is good, and that comes from my own personal way of watching a movie and what effects me.

I hope King Kong turns out to be great, it would be awesome if it did, if there was a movie that looked great on the big screen, but I have seen Jack Black in the past and he's a creep to me in everything I ever saw him in, now that would be great acting if he turned out not to be a creep.

5. I don't know how Noms your saying it will be better than the 70's version, when it hasn't even been made yet.

6. I am tired of not having any great summer Blockbuster movies. We use to go to matinees all the time in the summer, and I miss it, so if a great movie would come out, I still will go. The thing is.. I go there expecting the feeling I had when I saw what I thought was a great movie in the past, and I leave thinking what the heck was that all about.

Ok lets break this down shall we...

1. The debate started because yo stated there were no quality actors anymore, not because anyone believed you hated modern movies. Yet, to deflect away from that ridiculous statement you have now tried to defend yourself by naming modern movies you like and dislike...nobody cares!!!We were arguing about modern actors.

2. I quote..."But...I hate that all they do is remake older movies". Hang on a sec, you started this thread by stating how great the 70's version of King Kong was. Ahem...IT'S A REMAKE!!!

3. No just because they give academy awards away doesn't mean the movie was any good. However, again on the subject of "quality actor" lets look at some of the recent best actor / actress nominees shall we (as you seem to need names to disprove your quote).

Ok, off the top of my head...Samuel L Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Jamie Foxx, Russell Crowe, Bill Murray, Johnny Depp, Hilary Swank, Cate Blanchett, Tom Hanks, Sean Penn, Kate Winslet, Charlize Theron, Julia Roberts...

Nope you are right. These are NOT quality actors and should be stripped of their right to work in movies ever again. GET REAL!!!

4. If what you said was just a difference of opinion then I wouldn't be fighting you on this. However, once again you over generalize and make a statement that again I quote..."I am sorry...there aren't any "quality" movie stars any more."

5.Actually I never said it would be better than the 70's version. I said I would rather go and see this than the 70's version. The 70's version was awful and I'm LOOKING FORWARD to this version. In MY OPINION I think it will be a great movie and IN MY OPINION the 70's version was, as Paul said,"one of the all-time worse movies ever made".

6. You may not think there are any great Summer Blockbusters anymore, but I cannot think of a Summer in recent history where there weren't several films I was looking forward to, and enjoyed. This year I'm looking forward to: Star Wars 3, Batman Begins, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Fantastic Four, War of The Worlds, Charlie and The Chocolate factory, to name just a few. If none of these titles give you any anticip[ation then maybe you should stick to watching your 80's movies at home and let the movie going population enjoy themselves without having to tolerate your constant whining about how everything used to be better in your day.

Noms [Cool]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

[Cool] [Eek!]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
When I say I hate it when they remake movies...I am talking CURRENTLY. When they remade movies in the 70's and 80's, at least they weren't the only thing that was being made. There are hardly any movies that are made now that are not a sequel, a remake of a movie already made, or a TVshow they turn in to a movie- that is it.

They are doing the Dukes of Hazzard, Bewitched, The Six Million Dollar Man, King Kong, Willy Wonka, and so many more....why doesn't anybody have any original ideas, those were all original at some point.

Noms, seeing that you live clear across the world from me, you don't have to worry when I go out to the movies, that I would be sitting in the seat beside you, ruining you movie going experience.

Most of the actors you listed, have been around since the 80's, so you kind of missed my whole point. I am not talking about those people...I am talking about the current group of people, which there aren't really alot to name, but the few I can think of are the teen stars like Hilary Duff, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton...these are the people plastered on the tabloids as the new generation of "stars". Alot of the current people that are on tv shows, I don't even know their names, and don't care to ..cause they stink.

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

You can't even offer a decent counter argument anymore. I'm done with you and this thread...

Noms [Cool]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home