iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Wildfire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wildfire
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who sings this song??? I love it. Heard it on the radio today. It's about a horse called Wildfire. I know I have heard the guy's name who sings it, but I can never remember it. I want to try and find a 45 record of it. Thanks.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Murphey
Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Sam! Now I am going to go try and find it!
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a summer '70s song...remember hearing it at the state park beach I used to hang out at.

I heard another "one-hit wonder" from the same era this weekend...you guys remember "Smoke From a Distant Fire?" [Sanford Townsend Band]

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Isis:

Sam Hain2 is correct: that was Michael Murphy singing that "Wildfire" song.

You might be interested to know that he's got a website now, but now calls himself Michael Martin Murphey. He is still singing, touring, and making country-western records.

Murphey's website is:
http://www.michaelmartinmurphey.com

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HipsterMom27 asked:
quote:
...I heard another "one-hit wonder" from the same era this weekend...you guys remember "Smoke From a Distant Fire?" [Sanford Townsend Band]
Great song! When I first heard it (in 1977), I thought it was by Hall & Oates! [Smile]

It had the jazzy-pop West Coast feel, and had a bright upbeat tone. But when you read the lyrics, the song is about a bitter romance that has gone cold and about to break up.

Ed Sanford and John Townsend were longtime studio session musicians, songwriters, and backup vocalists before they hit it on their own.

HipsterMom, you might be interested to know that
Townsend is still performing, and his own website now. He lives in Alabama nowadays.

Scroll down to the bottom of the following webpage, and there is a reference to the "Smoke From A Distant Fire" song.

(click here):
http://johntown.com/about2.html

Townsend's main page is at:
http://johntown.com/home.html

It's nice to know that this guy is not some long-forgotten "one-hit wonder", but is still actually working the music biz! [Cool]

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Steverino...it's very good to know that just because someone never got conventional radio airplay again, they were still able to sustain a musical career.

"Smoke" is forever linked to high school coming-of-age for me...CCHS Class of '77!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Sanford Townsend band was Fred Sanford and Pete Townsend of The Who [Big Grin]
Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
LOL @ Hainster

Wasn't their biggest hit called "Shut Up, Dummy?"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home