iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » The Doors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Doors
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this band, and though I didn’t think much of their songs, or even Oliver Stone’s movie, the first time I saw heard and saw them, I like both now; the lyrics, when taken in the right context are an accurate reflection of a disaffected society and as for the film? It’s a bit thin on story but Stone garners a top performance by Val Kilmer as front man Jim Morrison.

1. ‘this is the end’
2. ‘light my fire’
3. ‘end of the night’
4. ‘break on thru’
5. ‘back door man’

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to a convention in October where Val Kilmer will be in attendence. My friend is going to get a Doors poster signed by hime and I'm going to get a Tombstone poster signed and maybe a Real Genius or Top Gun poster signed.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Doors, goodness, what a flashback you inflicted on me. . .
I grew up the youngest of 4 children, and my two older brothers were deeply into what is now called "classic rock," that is, rock of the late 60's and the 70's, bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and, of course, The Doors.
Around '79 I attempted to find my own kind of music and got into Gary Numan and synth music, but right around the time I turned 15 (1986) I developed this obsession with classic rock, watching "The Song Remains The Same" over and over among other obsessive things.
But it was The Doors that I really latched onto. I felt this strange connection with Morrison, and as the obsession grew, after learning he had died just a little under two months before I was born I even thought I might be his reincarnation (hehe, I was a bit mentally unbalanced as a teen, not that that's really that funny, but, well, you know. . .).
I recorded all of their albums onto cassette (my brother had all of them, including the poetry album "American Prayer" which influenced my poetry and writing to a great degree).
Now, I have to say, that unlike some bands before and after my Doors obsession, some of the Doors songs were just, well, they ranged from forgettable to embarrasing.
Others were hidden gems that the classic rock stations never played.
And then there were the hits. Such a bizzare and unique mixture of blues, rock, folk, and that strange carnival atmosphere. Later I would enjoy bands like Wall Of Voodoo for the same reasons.
And the film "The Lost Boys" deepened my Doors obsession even further, blatantly equating Morrison with the immortal, eternally young vampires, a huge poster of his face in black and white hanging up on the wall of the underground hideout of the Lost Boys, and superimposing that same picture with Michael (Jason Patrick's) face as he is transformed by the blood wine he drinks. Suddenly all the posters and tapestries of Morrsion on my walls meant something even deeper.
Well, I could go on and on, but I'll cut it short there. Eventually I got into Goth rock, and Peter Murphy became my new rock god, and then on to Skinny Puppy. . .
Perhaps needless to say, never the less, it shall be said, thanks for creating this post and bringing back memories.

My top five Doors songs:
1. Waiting For The Sun
2. People Are Strange
3. The Crystal Ship
4. The End
5. Not To Touch The Earth

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, forgot to mention the film. I did enjoy the film. However, I felt Kilmer was a little too much, well, Kilmer to be utterly convincing as Morrison (unlike, say, Jim Carey who was so convincingly Andy Kaufman that it gave the people who knew him chills).
I do think it was a good representation of what I thought to be the "image" of Morrison from what I had read in books like "No One Here Gets Out Alive" or various documentaries on television.
The thing I didn't like about the film was that the tabloid exploits took the front seat to the fact that the man was a true poet and artist overcome and eventually destroyed by alcohol and drugs.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known." Waiting For The Sun, The Doors

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top 5 Doors songs in no particular order

*People Are Strange
*The End
*Break on Through
*L.A. Woman
*Love Her Madly

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense to anyone here (and particularly to Skinny Puppy), but I never did much care for the group. In fact, I think The Doors are the most overrated and under-criticized "legendary" rock band ever. [Frown]

I liked a few of their songs, but for the most part, I just can't relate to them. Sorry.

Jim Morrison died at the right time for him. The group never would've achieved the lofty status it has, if Jim kept on living.

I remember during the early 90's when I saw comedian Tom Kenny co-hosting NBC-TV's "Friday Night Videos". He did a routine what it would've been like if Jim was still alive today. Doug theorized that if Morrison were alive now, he would've had a "Jim Morrison Revue" in some cheesy Las Vegas lounge act singing his old Doors hits. And that he would sing something like, "Come on baby, light my fi-i-i-i-i-urrrrr!" in a similar manner to Bill Murray's lounge singer on "Saturday Night Live"!

And no, I haven't seen the movie with Val Kilmer.

But, to be fair, I think the use of "The End" in the 1979 movie "Apocalypse Now" was a stroke of genius! [Cool]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
No offense to anyone here (and particularly to Skinny Puppy), but I never did much care for the group. In fact, I think The Doors are the most overrated and under-criticized "legendary" rock band ever. [Frown]

No dude you're thinking of The Grateful dead or Jethro Tull [Razz]

quote:
Jim Morrison died at the right time for him. The group never would've achieved the lofty status it has, if Jim kept on living.
I've always said that a band members death lot of times assure a band greatness and I believe The Doors might fit that bill, along with Hendrix, Joplin, Metallica, Sex Pistols et al
Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a schoolgirl during The Doors hey-day, so of course that was like "acid rock" to me...eee-yew. Then in the early '80s, there was this huge Doors resurgence..."No One Gets Out of Here Alive"...my BF at the time was way into the whole thing. Me: still didn't get it.

If anyone here is a Kids In The Hall fan, Bruce McCullough has this really funny routine called "The Doors Fan"...check it out for a good laugh at the expense of the typical Doors fanatic.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home