iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Logan's Run remake (and) LR tv show on dvd?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Logan's Run remake (and) LR tv show on dvd?
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read this on E!'s yearly thing on superhero movies:

"While it seems almost pointless to mention that Bryan Singer and the cast of his smash X-Men movies will be reuniting (of course they are!), the director's involvement in a remake of '70s schlock classic Logan's Run may put that on hold."

As for the "scholock" comment, I don't think I'd call the original schlock. I remember very clearly sitting down with the entire family to watch Logan's Run every time it came on tv.

Anyone know any details on the remake?

Also, I vaguely recall that Sci/fi breifly showed some of the Logan's Run tv episodes. Does anyone here know how long that show ran and if it's availble for purchase anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were only 14 episodes produced for Logan's Run. You can pick up bootleg copies of the series on e-bay or at sci-fi conventions. I have a tape of the first 2 episodes. I thought the series was pretty cool. I liked the hover car they got around in and the android Rem was a cool addition to the story. I bought some very nice publicity stills from the series on e-bay. There are some for sell on there all the time. I'm sure that before too long the series will be available on DVD. Sooner or later EVERYTHING will be available on DVD! My guess would be that around the time that the new movie hits theaters the tv series will be released in a DVD box set like they did with Planet Of The Apes.
The only thing that I've heard about the movie remake, other than that Singer is directing it, is that they are going to change the age of renewal from 30 years to a much younger year so that they can put a younger cast in the film. That seems to be the trend now days... look at the WB with Smallville, the failed Tarzan, the failed Birds Of Prey and the soon to come teenage Bruce Wayne series. I know that a lot of the original movie was shot right here where I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex at a newly built mall and at a water treatmen plant and other locations which I need to take a trip to see. Maybe I'll do that this summer and take some pictures.
If you haven't yet seen the movie Free Enterprise, I reccoment it. It's pretty funny and has some references to Logan's Run in it. William Shatner co-stars in it. I think you will find it an enjoyable movie.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightiesdude
Master Rewinder
Member # 752

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for eightiesdude   Author's Homepage   Email eightiesdude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they are lowering the age to 20 because I believe that is what it was in the book? I am not sure but I think this is why.

I have always loved Logans Run. I saw it in the theator when it first came out and it made a big impact on me. I was 10 years old at the time but it made me reflect on what is considered old and by who's definition.

I do as well remember watching on cbs the logan run tv show. If they ever came out with those on dvd I would buy them.

In regards to the new Logans Run I hope they make a good remake lately I have been disappointed on what they have been doing to old 70s and 80s movies or tv shows.

Good luck runner may you find sanctuary

Posts: 114 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good luck runner may you find sanctuary
"There is no Sanctuary"

I have really mixed feelings about the idea of a remake. I absolutely love the original (is the name a give away?), but I can see that one or two of the effects suck (Box anyone?). However, remaking something to update some special effects isn't really a good enough reason. But in this case, the original film strayed from the book somewhat, and it would be nice to see an accurate attempt at the book.
Part of what made the book so good was; because everyone died at 21 (not the movie 30), you could believe that no one had lived long enough to figure it out. Also, in the book there was no Carousel, and Logan was Logan 3, not Logan 5.
So, on the one hand it might make be interesting, but on the other, we already have a great Logan's Run adaptation. [Confused]

Wait, scrub all that, most remakes suck, so this one probably will too. [Razz]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else seen the new movie Equalibrium starring Chritisan Bale? It reminded me a lot of Logan's Run with a little bit of the Matrix thrown in. Check it out.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan 5, I never knew there was a book, I guess I never bothered to look. I do own the dvd and have watched it twice since I bought it. I do, at sporadic moments, notice how primitive the special effects were, but I just remind myself of how state-of-the-art they were for the time.
That movie has a special place in my childhood memories as, as I mentioned in my first post, it was a kind of "family event."
My family seldome gathered together for anything special, not that I'm complaining about my upbringing, compared to many I know I had an ideal childhood. But all that aside, I recall that my entire family would gather round to watch Logan's Run every time they aired it on television. That was one of the few movies to unite us, aside from the James Bond films which we all would watch, homework finished or not (hehe).
I used to play Logan's Run as a kid in the 70's in my neighborhood (I was always Logan!) and I loved the TV show, my brother even tried to make a replica of the hover car out of spare plastic model parts and a soldering iron (well, to be honest it was a combination of the time travel machine from the 80's tv version of "The Time Machine" AND the car from Logan's Run). I can even remember putting rocks in my palm as a kid to emulate the crystals from the film.
Everyonce in a while when I start my random insane mutterings at work (it gets very boring at my job) I will start chanting "There is no Sancutary" over and over, and no one gets it!

Just a last randome note, I have seen a few people here and there wearing longsleve shirts that look identical to the black Sandman shirts with the grey stripe across the chest, I wonder if those are available for sale somewhere in the wilds of the internet.

ciao

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do that too! "There is no sanctuary!".
Another good one is to sincerely look someone in the eye and ask: "Do I get my years back?" They usually get confused and say "what?" Then I say, "The years this place just took away, do I get them back?!!” Lot's of fun.

I saw someone at work with a black body warmer (life preserver?) that had a grey stripe across it. I went bananas, but they said they'd had it for years and couldn't remember where they'd got it. Bummer.

There must be a source for the shirts somewhere. If you do find it (or vice-versa), let me know, I'd love to get one.

The book had a couple of sequels: 'Logan's Search' and 'Logan's World'. Both of them dealt with life outside the dome.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
Hey, I wold put rocks in my palm and pretend I was a runner too. I remember playing Logan's run when the tv series was on. My friend and I each had this toy gun set that came with a twist on silencer. It was the coolest toy gun set ever... solid black and without that orange barrel that spoils the toys today. We would put on black warm ups and make that stripe on the chest with some grey tape. We would pretend to be sandmen with those cool pistols. We would run around the yard saying "RUN, runner!" Those were such cool times. If I tried that today I would be arrested. Dang.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home