iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Some recommended 60's/70's movies for Isis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some recommended 60's/70's movies for Isis
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In another thread about "Houdini", Isis wrote:
quote:
...There just aren't any good movies for kids out there today, so if I have to keep going back further and further in time, that's what I'll do. I think a good movie is timeless, and anyone can relate to it in any year...
Well, I got ten recommendations for you and your family. Some of them are from the 60's, but since there's no 60's Rewind board, I'll list them here:

(1.) "My Side Of The Mountain" (1969). Good story of a boy who wants to live alone in the wilderness for an entire year.

(2.) "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" (1968). Silly but fun little comedy about an exotic bird (a toucan) that flies around New York City and spreads a "happy virus" which positively changes the lives of several people.

(3.) "The Shakiest Gun In The West" (1968). Don Knotts as a dentist in the wild and wooly Old West.

(4.) "Silent Running" (1972), starring Bruce Dern. Touching sci-fi with a well-meaning environmentalist message.

(5.) "The Day Of The Dolphin" (1973), starring George C. Scott. Dolphin researcher gets involved in a political assassination attempt after his prized dolphins has been stolen.

(6.) "Jeremiah Johnson" (1972), starring Robert Redford and Will Geer. Redford plays an ex-soldier who decides to live as a mountain man.

(7.) "Gay Puree" (1963). Animated musical movie with the voices of Robert Goulet and Judy Garland.

(8.) "Shane" (1953). Classic homesteader Western starring Alan Ladd (one of the most underrated American movie actors of all-time) and Jack Palance.

(9.) "What's Up, Doc?" (1972), starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. Zany screwball comedy in the tradition of several 30's movies.

(10.) "Movie Movie" (1978). Affectionate parody/tribute to the twin-bill double-feature that Warner Brothers might have done during the 1930's. It tells two stories: the first one (shot in black & white) is called "Dynamite Hands" about an honest boxer; the second is called "Baxter's Beauties of 1933" (shot in color), a Busby Berkeley-type of musical. Both of them are filled with Hollywood cliches, but that's part of this movie's charm!

I have seen everyone of these films as a kid. I don't recall a whole lot of #2, but I was going through the user comments, and it sounds like the kind of movie you might like, mainly because of its positive and hopeful message.

Here's the user comments.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0063799/usercomments

Unfortunately, I don't think #2 is available on VHS or DVD. I did see someone on Ebay selling "What's So Bad..." for $19.99. But it seems like a pretty expensive price for a film that wasn't that big a hit more than 35 years ago. So, I wonder if the Ebay seller was selling an "unofficial" or pirated copy.

I'm sure there's more films that I can name, but I think this will do for now.

Hope this helps! [Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, thanks Stephen. He just read the book My side of the Mountain-we didn't know there was a movie, and the one with Don Knotts he'd love-for some reason he thinks Don Knotts is hysterical. We went to a movie memoribilia place last weekend, and they had an ID badge thing with Don Knotts picture on it, and he wanted it, but I didn't get it, cause I knew it would be cast aside instantly, but it was weird to even find something with him on it.

He loves the Towering Inferno and he loves Starsky and Hutch, and the Dukes of Hazzard, so any kind of action/car movie is good too.

I personally love the movie Ring of Bright Water, and Rascal, and The Wilderness Family movies, and Born Free.

Last Summer Blockbusters had that deal, that you pay $2 to the Boys/Girls Clubs and you could get a free movie every day from the family section (vhs only)- that was great for us, because we like watching the older ones, so we got all the Benji movies- I like Benji The Hunted the best, and Where the Lilies Bloom was a good movie. I have been wanting to get him Davey Crockett but it was never ever in, maybe this summer.

He also really liked The Other Side of the Mountain-that is one of my all time favorites.

We just watched the Birds the other night, and we never get bored with The Bad Seed.

My friend just came back from Universal Studios Flordia, and they took the Alfred Hitchcock theater out-I don't get that, and they took out The Hanna Barbara one, and King Kong- that totally sucks, why couldn't they just add new ones, they replaced them with Shrek, and Jimmy Neutron- yuck! They don't have that many attractions, and for as much money as they make there every day-you'd think they could maintain the old stuff-I know when we were there in 2000-King Kong was looking pretty worn out, and that should never happen, when you have the kind of money to fix it. That was a big bummer to me, I loved the Alfred Hitchcock 3D Birds thing they did. Never say you like something, cause as soon as you do-it's guranteed to go out of buisness and never been seen ever again.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that movie jerrimiah Johnson. It was so cool. I also liked Shane and Day Of The Dolphin. I ordered Day Of The Dolphin on DVD, but it has been on back order for a couple of months now. I don't know what the hold up is. That was a great movie. It gets pretty sad though. I teared up in it. You will see why when you watch it.
Have you ever seen the movie Soylent Green? Charlton Heston stars in it. That was pretty cool too.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parts of Isis' previous post:
quote:
...He [Isis' son] just read the book "My side of the Mountain". We didn't know there was a movie...
Isis:

I really enjoyed the movie as a 10 year-old, and it inspired me to read the book by Jean George. The book has more stuff than the film could contain. I just thought the movie's story ended too abruptly.

But the movie is worth seeing anyway. I showed the movie to my sister who liked the film back in the day. She has now two kids of her own (twins, both almost nine years old), and my sister expressed concern about the movie's plot: that a boy could run away to nature. But my sister was concerned from the parent's point of view: how would you like it if your kid ran away from home overnight to spend an entire year in the unknown wilderness?

BTW, FYI, Jean has a website at:
http://www.jeancraigheadgeorge.com

quote:
He loves The Towering Inferno and he loves Starsky and Hutch, and The Dukes of Hazzard, so any kind of action/car movie is good too.
Try the following movies:
Smokey & The Bandit
Cannonball Run
Hooper

(all of the above movies feature Burt Reynolds, a former stuntman before becoming an actor)
Gone In 60 Seconds (the original 1974 version)
The Gumball Rally (1976), for a comedy car race
Walter Matthau in Charley Varrick (1973)
Bullitt
Le Mans (1971)
Grand Prix (1966) (Shot in 70mm; see this on a big-screen TV if you can!)
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)
The Vanishing Point (1971) (originally PG-rated, later rerated as an R)
Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern in The Driver (1978) (WARNING: R-rated)
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974) (Especially if you love Dodge Chargers! [Smile] )
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
Death Race 2000 (1975), which is now a cult classic.
Cannonball (1976), similar to Death Race 2000
The Deep (1977)
The Doberman Gang (1972), and its sequel The Amazing Dobermans (1974)
Don Knotts in Disney's The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975)
Dennis Weaver in the 1971 TV-movie Duel
The Sugarland Express (1974), based on a true story
[The last two films mentioned were directed by a then-unknown Steven Spielberg!]

quote:
...I personally love the movie Ring of Bright Water, and Rascal, and The Wilderness Family movies, and Born Free.
On that note, try the following (if you haven't seen them already):

Bless The Beasts And The Children (1971)
Benji
Watership Down (1974 version)
Charlotte's Web
Hawmps!
How The West Was Won (1962)
Man In The Wilderness
The Life And Times of Grizzly Adams
Any of Disney's Love Bug series, which also includes the "Herbie Rides Again" and "Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo"
The Dove (1974), based upon the real-life story of Robin Lee Graham, a 16 year-old who sailed around the world alone in a 23-foot sloop, on a voyage that took about six or seven years to complete. Along the way, he meets his future wife. His adventures were documented on "National Geographic" magazine during the 60's and early 70's.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot about that movie "Hawmps." That was funny. Is that on vhs or dvd?
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Cannonball Run part 1 & 2, and Smokey and the Bandit 1 &2.
I have Watership Down-which is pretty depressing for an animated movie, very disturbing.
I thought about that too about the running away from home. But, I used to think about living in the woods when I was a kid too, I have no idea why, I didn't hate my home, or my parents. I just always thought it would be neat to camp out permanently. I loved the book the BoxCar children, and I just thought about eating blueberries all day, and building your own cabin. That's why I always loved the Wilderness Family movies, I always thought when I grew up I am going to marry Robert Logan and have someone dump us off in the middle of nowhere away from all the garbage. It still sounds like a great idea to me. I loved being able to play out in the woods as a kid, and not be scared. We had a place we would dam up the creek and swim in, and another place that we went and played ball at, and climbed rocks, and took our lunch and sat on a rock in the sun and ate our peanutbutter and jelly sandwich, then we climbed trees, and pick blueberries, and teaberries, and looked for sassafrass roots. We'd take our bird book, and identify different species of birds, and look for animals, and pick flowers. I loved it, I haven't seen My Side of the mountain yet, but it seems like something right up my alley, so thanks for letting me know that they had made it in to a movie.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home