iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Starsky and Hutch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starsky and Hutch
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do they have to ruin everything? I have no desire to watch Ben Stiller make a mess out of another movie, I think he is the worst actor on the planet, and one of the ugliest. Sorry, that is harsh, but I can't stand him.

My son rented a Starsky and Hutch Playstation 2 game, and thank god it was from the series, not the movie, now he loves it, and I am going to buy the series of the original show for him for his birthday.

I can't even remember it, I know it was good though, so I am excited to see the series again.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch, Ben Stiller must’ve REALLY done something bad to you Isis [Wink] personally I quite like the guy (avoids Isis’s barrage of fruit) if only for the movies ‘Reality Bites’, ‘Meet The Parents’ and the consistently amusing but overrated ‘There’s Something About Mary’.

I think I said this on the 80’s board, but I’d be a lot more interested in this movie if it wasn’t called ‘Starsky And Hutch’ and attempting to make a parody out of a supercool TV show that’s more than stood the test of time. I didn’t know the ‘SH’ series was even on DVD yet, remember the infamous heroin episode? , what a classic.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightiesdude
Master Rewinder
Member # 752

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for eightiesdude   Author's Homepage   Email eightiesdude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Isis they are ruining good 70s tv shows. When I saw the commericials for the movie. I almost shot though the roof. I thought to myself another 70s thing they are going to make into a parody when the show was serious? Man they need to get some new material these days. This is horrible they are doing this to these shows.
Posts: 114 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben's early work is great -- "Reality Bites" [director], "Permanent Midnight" [actor]. I'll admit his latest is no more than commercial junk, but I judge him by the earlier efforts, as well as the Ben Stiller Show which is hysterically subversive comedy, my favorite kind.

He's the only celeb I've ever pressed the flesh with [in Las Vegas, January 2001] and, while on the short side [shorter than me anyway], is very good-looking IMO.

"Starsky & Hutch" was one of my favorite shows...my best friend and I used to argue over who got to have the bigger crush on Starsky. I'm hoping they take a tongue-in-cheek approach to the movie like the Brady Bunch movie did...then it might be watchable.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben Stiller gives me the creeps, I hate Something About Mary-that movie is plain horrible, and there isn't 1 thing funny about any of it, in my book. His humor is retarded, it's like he is a complete and total moron, and so above the top on everything, that it looses any type of humor, by being completely annoying.
That movie Along came Polly-or whatever, that looks so dumb, it's like they took the movie Dumb and Dumber, and crossed it with Something About Mary.
That is exactly the same type of crap like the
American Pie movies, and I hate those.
I don't think Ben Stiller is attractive in the slightest, especially when I saw previews of that Zoolander thing, he is creepy looking.
Yeah, why make a drama in to a comedy, that could have been an excellent action movie. When have they made an action movie lately?? So, it isn't like the theaters are so bombarded with great action flicks, that it couldn't have worked as an action movie.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the movies There's Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber. I think the Farrelly brothers humor is sick, twisted and perverted and that gets top marks from me. Kingpin by them is also real funny.
Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I usually disdain mainstream movies, I loved "There's Something About Mary"...there's just something darkly hilarious about everyone being in love with Mary, from Norm the Pizza Guy to the old guy at the end who shoots the git-player. Subversive...I love it.

"Kingpin" also strikes my twisted funnybone the right way. I guess since my uncle owned our local bowling alley and everyone in my family bowls [yes, back in my youth bowling leagues I was quite good myself], any movie with bowling as a backdrop makes me howl with laughter. ["The Big Lebowski"]

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Last night on TVLand they played 6 episodes of Starsky and Hutch, because the movie comes out today. Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller hosted it, they are such total dorks, I don't know if they were trying to be funny, but they were stupid. The whole first season (22 episodes) were just released on DVD. It is an excellent show, there is nothing even close to it on tv now.
SkinnyPuppy
Master Rewinder
Member # 2354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SkinnyPuppy   Email SkinnyPuppy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm. . .gosh, at the risk of being flamed. . .did you guys watch the same Starsky and Hutch tv show I did? I mean, really?!
I loved that show as a child, watched it every week, begged and whined for the dolls and cars (and never go them). But I watched the show again a few times as an adult here and there on reruns, and, ye gods and little fishes, it was so CORNY and amaturish and naive and, well, just silly, almost to the point of camp. And there was a lot of camp in it, if you can't see it, then perhaps you need a new glasses prescription, lots of tounge-in-cheek humor, lots of subtle winks between Starsky and Hutch, much the same as it's inheritor of 70's cop-camp C.H.i.P.'s which had even more humor, and not as subtle or tounge-in-cheek.
I think you're all taking this 30 year old show a little too seriously, and a lot more seriously than the original creators, writers, actors intended.
The shows I watched recently (in the last couple of years) were absolute old-fashioned crap compared to modern cop drama (once again, I must remind you how much of a die-hard fan I was of this show when it was on when I was a child in the 70's, I don't want that fact to be lost on you).
But it's camp nature, it's "we're not taking all this stuff too seriously and niether should you" approach led naturally and inevitably to the over the top, in your face camp and comedy of the big-screen remake.
My point is, I think you all missed the joke. I dare you to watch a rerun on TVLand, with all seriousness, and all strange and bewildering unhealthy hatred of Mr. Stiller aside, and come back here and post again that it was a completely dramatic serious show and there's been nothing of it's calibre so far to date produced in the cops and robbers genre. . .I mean, really. . .sheesh. . .

Posts: 278 | From: Austin, TX USA | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
I knew from the trailer on TV, when I saw "Hutch" singing "Don't give up on on us baby...", the movie was going for the not-quite-over-the-top camp approach. Hence, I heard it's not too bad, but I'll save my $8 and see it on HBO.

Ben & Owen's dynamic works for me...I'm a big Wes Anderson fan.

"She was my Rushmore...she was mine too."

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh man, I just did watch like 4 episodes the other night, and I actually don't remember much about it from the 70's, I think I wasn't able to stay up and watch it when it originally was on.
But, yes there was humor, you have to have humor in life in any situation-that's what made them charming and likeable, the humor. But the way they did the shows, and how they handled the subjects, were really done well. I saw where they had got Hutch addicted to heroin, and that was such a great show, it was so real, I have never dealt with drugs or anyone being addicted, but it was great to watch it with my son, and be able to say-that's what drugs do to people, and look how fast people get hooked on them, and what the heck for, I mean that right there, should be a good way of showing kids why you don't even think of trying drugs even once. It is so pointless and stupid. It is just like smoking, I see kids as young as 11, smoking even now with all the knowledge we have about how bad it is, and it is so pointless and stupid, and will only kill you, and and take all your money-but people still inhale smoke for some stupid reason, so I think any show that can be used to teach a valued lesson, is great, no matter how corny it seems-which it doesn't seem like that to me. Now, the stupid crap that Ben Stiller does-that is corny crap-he is so retarded, I can't even stand looking at him. He isn't funny, he talks like he's reading the words off someone's forehead, and he doesn't even say anything that's funny-just complete stupidity.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home