iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Anyone saw Batman when it came out in theaters? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone saw Batman when it came out in theaters?
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did! i was 8 years old when i lived in San Diego and saw it 4 times in theaters, i became a Batman fan thanks to this movie as i read the comics, ate the cereal, saw the rest of the movies in theaters, had the action figures, had the NES game, T-shirts, movie magazine, cards and more.

It was a memorable experience for me! too bad the only good movie of the original movie series was Returns while Forever and Robin sucked ***. Good thing Nolan rebooted the series into something better.

Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it when it came out. Loved it back then. Now I see it as a good movie, but not great. It was still a major leap for superhero movies. 'Returns' was the best of the sequels (and arguably better than the first Batman).
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to see it, but didn't quite get the chance, although I did get to see roughly the first half of it on HBO the following year before I had to go to bed (9 was usually the latest allowed on school night at age 8; I was wiped out at that point anyway regardless). Although Returns was better (and the Penguin has always been my favorite Gotham heavy anyway, so that was in its favor in the first place), it still holds up well today and is thoroughly enjoyable (I believe PBS will run it Saturday evening if anyone's interested).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Yes, I saw it in the movies. I was 14. It was so cool. Didn't love Returns at first, now I can appreciate how good it actually was.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember two things about "Batman":

It had so much hype because of Jack Nicholson's participation as the Joker and the controversy surrounding the selection of Michael Keaton as Batman.

It was a decent movie, but it just didn't deliver quite like I expected.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 10 and it was AWESOME. I collected the Topps movie cards (still have them) and I think Taco Bell had collectible plastic cups. I even dressed up as The Joker, Jack Nicholson style, for Halloween that year.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Batman when it came out in London when I was 12 although it wasn't my choice that day and I've never really been a fan of any of the Batman movies.

I remember it was the first UK movie release to be awarded a "12" certificate and that day was the first time I ever ate at a McDonalds too, fun facts. [Razz]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
I was 10 and it was AWESOME. I collected the Topps movie cards (still have them) and I think Taco Bell had collectible plastic cups. I even dressed up as The Joker, Jack Nicholson style, for Halloween that year.

I think we just learned that Secret Admirer's true identity is really Christian Slater who idolizes Nicholson in a similar fashion.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone wonder if the character would have worked as well if Robin Williams had handled it, as had been the plan at one point?
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also remember seeing this at the cinema. I was actually only 11 at the time, so the whole 12 certificate was a complete joke.

I still prefer it over 'Returns'.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zombo
Rewinder
Member # 8405

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zombo   Email Zombo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it opening night in San Jose...great crowd, they cheered, they clapped, they laughed...a very enjoyable experience!
Posts: 32 | From: Monroeville Mall | Registered: Nov 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say Valley, what do you think of Batman Returns, Mask of the Phantasm, Under the Red hood and the recent Nolan movies?
Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The media made such a big deal about the 12 certificate that the cinema Gestapo turned me away at the door! 'How about Karate Kid III?, she asked...So me and about six other losers were stuck watching Ralph Macchio fight an angry chipmunk and trim Bosani trees whilst everyone else had all the fun. Another reason to hate that sequel!

Eventually saw it on video: Liked it a lot. It was the first serious comic movie since Superman II and Keaton was brilliant as Batman.

I still have all that Bat memorabilia as I bought into the hype with great enthusiasm: T-shirts, comic tie-in, poster, a novel, Topps trading cards, figures and even those mini candy sticks with a Joker card on the back of the box.

-

If I had to rate the live action Batman films...

1. Batman Forever (always a controversial choice)

2. Batman Begins (refreshing reinvention).

3. Batman ("I am the night").

4. Batman: The Movie (1966) (ADAM WEST, Shark repellent spray, Lee Meriwether, Burgess Meredith, Cesar Romero; its like the 60s' never ended!).

5. The Dark Knight (should really be higher on the list, but hype and endless adulation overlooked the slow pace and somewhat unstructured storyline).

6. Batman Returns (or Catwoman: The Movie, as its known amongst men).

7. Batman & Robin ("Looks like its going to be a Big Frrrrrrrrrreze!", you could feel the collective slump of a packed movie theatre audience: 'Looks like its going to be a looooong night').

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
What about Batman Mask of the Phantasm, Batman: Sub-Zero and Batman Under the Red Hood?
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kash .. "Batman Forever" #1?

Eject! , Eject!, .. watch the canopy! [Eek!]

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. Forever no 1 and the greatest superhero film at no 6 [Eek!]

Somebody make it stop  -

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HarryCanyon:
What about Batman Mask of the Phantasm, Batman: Sub-Zero and Batman Under the Red Hood?

From the three you've mentioned Harry, I've only seen Batman Mask of the Phantasm, which was superb for its time. Some of the other decent Batman cartoon movies were Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Gotham Knight and Batman vs. Dracula (which was OK).
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Gotham Knight [Big Grin]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
I feel like I've entered the twilight zone. Forever no 1 and the greatest superhero film at no 6 [Eek!]

Somebody make it stop  -

Hold on to me! This is just a villainous trick!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
Valley, Helen, Logan; Glad to see you're all taking it so well! [Razz] [Smile]

Allow me to explain, Batman Forever is a great balancing act between darkness and light. Director Joel Schumacher owes his career to the '80s hence the liberal use of day-glo colours and neon lit sets. Its Goth meets Art Deco meets Graffiti meets the ghost of Bob Switzer on speed.

I'm a Val Kilmer fan: He’s an excellent Bruce Wayne / Batman. Even Nicole Kidman, normally a bit of a bore, is at her slutty best and Forever was probably the last Batman film with a sense of humour, since JS had a mild irreverence towards the source material. The difference between mild irreverence and utter contempt is the difference between Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

Its also the most symbolic of all the Batman films: Illuminati motifs aplenty, Two face represents the right-left political paradigm (i.e. two sides of the same coin), whilst The Riddler uses 3D TV to literally suck the life out of Gotham City.

"Holey rusty metal, Batman!"

-

Kash
Member # 297

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:

Somebody make it stop  -

[Big Grin] Helen, I love Catwoman in Batman Returns (who doesn't?) and I love Tim Burton's style BUT my main problems with this movie are: The scarier you try and make a Penguin with a missile look, the more comedic it actually becomes. And the worst offence of all IMO: You're Tim Burton, you've shown great taste by casting Christopher Walken, you’ve SECURED his services as an actor in your movie. GIVE HIM A DECENT PART: Killer Mouth, Gentlemen Ghost, somebody from the cannon at least. Don't hire Walken and then relegate him to second tier villain status, it's a travesty.

-

This man CANNOT be sidelined!

HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
What do you think of Batman Begins and Dark Knight?
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Kash.. I was somewhat joking.. count me as a fan of "Batman Forever". I enjoyed Val Kilmer as Batman.

Now if you had listed "Batman & Robin" #1 .. then your wingman status might be questioned. [Wink]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I actually quite liked 'Batman Forever' too. My strongest memory is Jim Carrey as Riddler.

I also agree that Walken playing second-fiddle to DeVito and Pfeiffer didn't seem right.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
Forever worked well enough for me; perhaps if they'd kept in the deleted scenes shown on the DVD and made Two-Face more like his comics self, it would have fared much better in the long run. Kilmer did the best Bruce Wayne of the original series (although Keaton was the better Caper Crusader), and Carrey fittingly stole the show, showing why he was unstoppable in his prime. And although Schumacher shows frequently that he has no grasp of how physics actually work, in this case they have a good enough story that you don't mind it, unlike his subsequent effort--if it could even be called that--where absolutely everything went out the window.

I wouldn't exactly consider Walken's Returns character second string; if nothing else by sheer screen time alone, he can certainly be classified as a major character. And while the image of penguins with rockets on their backs may be more comical than necessary, consider that that was probably the Penguin's last gasp attempt at revenge against the city; with everything else thwarted by our hero, he was digging deep for whatever he had left to throw at Gotham, and for whatever reason, that happened to be it (now where he got all those rockets in the first place raises a few questions, but since when do anything supervillains do make logical sense, then?). And what would the film by without his rousing "Go get them" speech to his "children?" ("FORWARD MARCH!! THE LIBERATION OF GOTHAM HAS BEGUN!!!!!").

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home