iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Thing (1982).

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Thing (1982).
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant remake by John Carpenter who grew up with the cheesy old 50's movie that had a great idea at first but in the 50's they didn't have the time or technology to get the idea justice back then. Universal in 1980 after Alien was a box-office success they decided to do a remake of The Thing and John Carpenter was hired because he grew up with the original Thing from Another World Movie and also loves the original story "Who Goes There".

The film was a labor of love for Mr. Carpenter with his devotion to both sources and a solid cast including Kurt Russell to Mr. Quaker Oat diabeetus dude Wilford (Without his mustache) and brilliant effects by Rob Bottin/Stan Winston.

The film unfortunately bombed at the box-office since it came 2 weeks after E.T., talk about bad timing and got mixed reviews but it has became a best rented and best selling movie over the years even the most watched on cable. It's a great cult movie that earned more respect in recent years.

I can't wait for the Carpenter produced prequel coming out next April which should be as good as the original.

Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is everything a horror movie should be. Blood test scene is amazing. Great ending.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HarryCanyon   Email HarryCanyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That blood test scene scared the hell out of me badly as a teenager.
Posts: 125 | From: Santa Ana, California | Registered: Sep 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie! I saw The Thing when it first came out. The theater was full too!!

Blood test scene! Creepy as hell!!

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Classic.
The SE dvd includes one of the best making of documentaries ever.
After you´ve seen it, the illusion is gone but it´s worth it.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarryCanyon
Master Rewinder
Member # 9143

Rate Member
Yes the documentary was awesome too and i also own the Blu-Ray which looks magnificent and sharp as new.
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First saw it late at night on TV. A masterpeice on a par with, and in many ways better than, Aliens.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is really one of the great horror movies of the 80's.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with everyone here. This is easily one of the greatest films ever produced.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home