iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Quiet Earth (1985)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Quiet Earth (1985)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"A mans awakens to find himself alone in the world"

Geoff Murphy directed this science fiction post-apocalyptic film
which was filmed in New Zealand.

Future Film will release The Quiet Earth dvd here in Finland november 17th.
I remember watching this movie back in the 80s
but don´t recall anything what happened in the flick.

I just can´t wait to get the dvd in my hands so i can watch this interesting movie again.

Any fans?

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great one all around as far as Sci-Fi flicks go. The movie score kicks A$$, and it's definetly a visual masterpiece for it's time. I remember it was pretty much a tie between this and "Altered States" of which movie I liked to trip out on more as a kid.=) I'll be on the lookout for the DVD too.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a movie that sticks with you. It feels like an extended Twilight Zone (in a good way). I always felt that due to time / money constraints the film didn't explore enough of the possibilities it could've. But this is what a deserted planet film should feel like - empty. No CGI monsters needed.

I think they released a special edition of the movie on DVD with commentary.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched The Quiet Earth yesterday.
It was very good.

Eerie atmosphere, loved the ending.

They tried to get Jack Nicholson to play Zac but he wanted 4 million $, i´m glad that it didn´t happen.
Bruno Lawrence is awesome.

The whole budget was 1 million $ and they did a fantastic job with it.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's excellent and unusual--not too many Kiwi sci-fi films out there. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Quiet Earth" is one of the most underrated sci-fi films of all time. I was lucky enough to see this on DVD that I got from a local library, sometime in the last 5-6 years.

Incredible post-apocalyptic story about three individuals in New Zealand, who end up probably being the last three on Earth - due to all having been near death when some type of cataclysmic event occurred. Overall, this was a very bleak & depressing movie.

The movie is a masterpiece, and needs to be re-issued on DVD/Blu-ray. AFAIK, the DVD that is currently out there is long out-of-print (OOP), and quite expensive on the secondary market.

Side-note: Certain elements of this film somewhat remind me of the 1960's movie "The World, the Flesh, and the Devil".

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure this will make you happy :

www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20036

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Quiet Earth, of all things, a Kiwi science fiction film. And it is excellent...haunting.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:
I'm sure this will make you happy :

www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20036

Great news! Thanks. Nice to see this is being restored.

IIRC, I did hear rumblings that they were working on a high-def release for this film sometime last year, but there wasn't anything definitive at that time...

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DVD has an audio commentary from the writer / producer. The Blu Ray doesn't port this over which is a shame.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home